hit tracker

Fixing Pokemon AS Save Corrupt Cartridge (can i?)

Discussion in 'Game Backup (ROM's) Discussion' started by narino, May 5, 2016.

1. 3
    narino

narino Loyal Member

so, i have o3ds with Sysnand 9.2, Emunand 10.7 and i using Gateway 3DS
    i played pokemon alpha saphire (cart retail) at Gateway Classic mode and i haven't play it again in this from months ago. when i open it again, it's said "The saved game data is corrupted. Refer to the electronic manual for details"
    can i fixing my save data again?
    thank you

2. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

Try using the latest launcher, press select to bring up the menu and try the different encryption options to see if one works for you. I believe it uses the save encryption for your sysnand as default in classic mode but you can force older encryption by choosing -7 and newer with +7.

3. 3
    narino

narino Loyal Member

oh well.. i'm too desperate this whole week, so last night i decide to just wipe data (already do it, though) and planning do some pkhex to bring back some past event like for eon ticket T_T

i just searching what exactly do you mean with "force choose encryption" and found it really exist (find more information from here)
    i can change the mode on menu, but when i close (after try all button, it closed with button B) and open it again, it still says "classic sysnand" (not change at all)
    have you or anyone try it too and worked change the mode? maybe it'll useful at future (that i didn't want that happen again)

--------EDIT--------
    nevermind, i just found how it work
    so, i just found that cart retail can be played on Gateway Boot (so i don't have to access Gateway Main Menu to boot into Classic Mode)
    maybe for anyone like me, have a gateway cart and want play some cart retail (new cart or old cart with old save), just do :
    1. Boot to Gateway like always (not Classic Mode one)
    2. insert your cart retail
    3. press SELECT, then it'll show menu on up screen
    4. select Mode (Gateway|Classic Sysnand|Classic 7.x -|Classic 7.x +), just use DPad to change it, then close with B button
    5. icon game will hide-show (somehow like re-loading cart)
    6. then press A button or touch it to play
    7. if the save not compatible with encryption, it will show the corrupt message. don't worry, just close game, and try another mode from step 3

for last this step, i had try load my new save pokemon AS (save in gateway Classic Mode before found this step) with mode Classic 7.x - and show the corrupt message
    then try again with mode Classic Sysnand, and tadaaa, it works!!

i don't know it'll fix your corrupt save (especially for pokemon) since i had wipe it (because my agony)
    but i think it worth to try before you think to wipe the data

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
  4. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

Yeah, that's what I meant. That link is an excerpt from the gw manual so if you haven't read it you'll probably want to check it out. I didn't realise you can't force encryption if you choose classic mode from the gw menu though, thanks for clarifying that. I believe gw automatically switches to classic mode when you remove the red cart and/or insert a retail cart so I think the classic mode option in the gw menu is actually defunct now.

Forcing encryption will only fix the corrupted save message when the save was created with a different encryption, it won't work in all scenarios but, as you say, it's always worth checking before you start looking into other resolutions. Sorry to hear you couldn't recover the old save but at least you've leant the lesson that you should always backup anything you don't want to loose.

5. 3
    narino

narino Loyal Member

true. i always update my gateway's launcher to lastest. but i didn't remember there was information about cart retail can played without Classic Mode anymore on website (or maybe just me who didn't read really well it so i missing it)

really, it make me frequently to backup my save on cart retail with svdt or save manager (i just know how to use this in last week and i just install homebrew about a month ago) and backup my sd card to PC
    before i know about svdt and save manager, i just know how to backup save cart retail via gateway menu. but it always show error whenever i tried to backup my pokemon's save so i didn't tried anymore.
    and now i know why. so it's turn out pokemon's cart retail have type Card 2 and menu backup sav in gateway menu not supported it.. because i try to backup my Bravely Second's cart save in gateway menu and it's success

btw, thank you so much, zelda, to help me get information about that menu so i can found this way