hit tracker

Free Usenet Access

Discussion in 'Off Topic & General Discussion' started by pete_uk, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 171
    t_jay17

t_jay17 Loyal Member

Ok I am new to this and I might be doing it wrong but how do you find what you are looking for? I signed up for a xsusenet account then I got newsleacher and when I use the search function I do not find what I am looking for or it will be 10mb for a file that should be 40gb.

2. 23
    Captin

Captin Loyal Member

I've been using usenet (newsgroups) for around 13 or 14 years.

The usenet was invented way way before NZB's were invented and even 10 years before the WWW (thats not the internet it's just web pages). It's always been one of the best ways to get anything you could possibly want, and much safer/quicker than torrents/p2p.

I use 2 programs normally on 2 different pc's, I use sabsnzbd (free program) because you can tell it to read RSS feeds from NZBmatrix and it will watch for and download stuff automatically, I use this method for grabbing TV shows & films, I just put the title of what I'm wating for in the watch list and it automatically downloads/verifies/unpacks the TV shows directly into a folder that ps3mediaserver is watching and is instantly available for viewing.
    I also use newsleecher (paid for) on a different pc for downloading the odd stuff or music.
    I use NZB's from NZBmatrix or supersearch/binsearch or just dump down the headers and browse. There is much more stuff on the usenet than has NZB's made for them and some index sites like NZBmatrix only search/index upto 5000 newsgroups, but there are over 150,000 actual newsgroups, quite a few of them are stull text only discussions groups though.

I subscribe to astraweb as my provider, it costs $11 (half the price of giganew for the same service) per month for unlimited speed and downloads, I have no problem maxing out my 100mbit cable connection and have had no problems downloading 3 full blu-rays (30-50gb) in 1 night.

There are cheaper, such as usenet-access, which offer limited accounts for around $4 per month.

But for the best access to the usenet, and the best speeds, you will always have to pay something, buth when you consider the cost saving you get from the downloads, it's less than the cost of 1 blu-ray or PS3 game per month.

Because my ISP, which is Virginmedia, has this policy of throtteling down the speed during peak times, I schedule all my downloads between midnight and 9AM which is the time virgin does not throttle.

It's well worth paying the one off fee of $7 to NZBmatrix to get the best retention for getting NZB files. But you don't actually need NZB files to download from the usenet, they just help.

Most people think that NZB is the usenet, but they are not. an NZB file is just a list of "posts" that tells your news reader program what to download, much the same way use as a torrent file. The stuff that is actually on the newsgroups can still be accessed with or without NZB's.

3. 65
    toto67

toto67 Loyal Member

well explained , i like it !!!

for further informations about history & technic there are some interesting articles about usenet, nzb & quickpar at wikipedia.

4. 847
    pete_uk

pete_uk Crunchy Emu Compiler Loyal Member

Excellent post Captin, Very informative :) I have also been using usenet for a good 5 years or so and Astraweb has given me the fastest and most stable connection out of all the providers I have used. I use Pay By Download as I can go weeks without using it, which works out $25 for 180GB credit.
    TBH I don't bother with NZBs anymore, I find Supersearch finds what im looking for :)

5. 120
    Enzomatrx

Enzomatrx Loyal Member

Keep an eye out for when newsgroupdirect.com does their insane promos. their Terabyte Tuesday is good for people who don't need unlimited and monthly (just buy a block and you have it until you use it up).

But I pay $5.50 a month through NGD and have had no problems maxing my pipe ($6/mo but once a month you go to their "rewards" page and "tweet" something and they take $0.50 off your bill... the twitter account doesn't even need to be public in any way).

10+ connections, SSL, and -- like above -- I use sabnzbd on my HTPC (XBMC plugin) to search nzbmatrix (one-time $10 signup for VIP is totally worth it). On my local PC I use newsleecher (paid for that and been using it since 2007... Spiril would compile custom builds for me because of having a Japanese OS, so there's always going to be me supporting it) with supersearch in the program.

Usenet is awesome for games and movies and you won't get DMCA crap or have to "ratio" and keep uploads going, which can hurt your connection.

For applications you have to be very careful. That's why you use nzbmatrix if you need an application because at least it's "verified".

Also there's a lot of "RAR-in-RAR" on usenet nowadays with a "find the password" crap. But newsleecher detects that and if you stick to legit posts from legit "groups", it always is fine.

IRC for requesting things works wonders, and you can always just put a request post in a group.
    I also use Usenet as a video/media backup. Over 1300 days retention means I can just post entire series of TV shows and know if I lose my media server it's just a download away (without any uploading required and seeding and crap)

Torrents are the "Free" way out but with more and more ISPs cracking down on them i tend to use them less and less

An felt like updating and saying I used:

usenetserver (2+ years)
    newshosting (4+ years)
    newsgroupdirect (1 year so far)

6. 182
    Kvass

Kvass Loyal Member

W/ this post you answered all my question. Thanks!

7. 360
    naughtydog

naughtydog Loyal Member

Very informative thread so far, learnt a lot and googled a lot too. Thanks everyone for sharing.

On topic: I have been using DC++ for a while now and thought it had the same functions as usenet. Then there was ares and limewire before they both went down the drain. Only thing that put me off till now was when I see the prices on http://www.usenet.net/ I always thought of being scammed. Now through users sharing their experiences I know I have many options and freedom to choose.

Now my question is, is there some sort of rankings/higher newsgroups with BETTER everything in this usenet world? If I plan to go into usenet then I will definately go for the best then right. So this implies speed and cost basically as that is the only deciding factor here unless I missed something.

8. 13
    JDsmith

JDsmith Loyal Member

Giganew's is supposed to be the best/reliable constant speed's,but it's also the most expensive,I used to be on the diamond option,but as I'm not a heavy user I found there are cheaper alternative's.
    Block account from Blocknews was 200GB for $21 it last's for as long as you need or use it up.
    I'm also a VIP @NZBmatrix.com and most of them guy's use Astraweb with a Blocknew's backup.
    I found Giganew's alway's take down the PS3 selection pretty quickly,not had a problem so far with Blocknew's.

http://www.usenetcompare.com/
    http://billing.blocknews.net/signup.php
    http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

9. 867
    Bartholomy

Bartholomy Loyal Member

Quick question. Usenet content is not under control? I mean, some peeps wrote about isp accounts. Noone check what people do?

10. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
  11. 171
    t_jay17

t_jay17 Loyal Member

Thanks for all the help on this.
    Are the only way to find things NZBmatrix or a search function on your reader program?

12. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    Binsearch.info and NZBindex.nl are some web-based alternatives (i.e. use your favorite Internet browser to download .NZB files, and then use those .NZB files in your Usenet client to download the binaries - simples).

13. 65
    toto67

toto67 Loyal Member

here is a quick and dirty pictured step by step explaination i made on a mac

maybe it is useable for the first steps using the usenet

things we need:

- valid usenet account

- newsreader (i.e mac: unison , pc: alt.binz)

- bookmarked scene release site (i.e ludibria.com)

- bookmarked newsgroup index site (i.e binsearch.info)

- par recovery tool (i.e. mac: macpar deluxe, pc: quickpar)

- rar packer/unpacker (i.e mac: unrarx, pc: winrar)

- a bit of patience like always if we did something the first time ;)

step 1: View attachment 2171

- open up newsreader and create an account with your usenet provider data

step 2: View attachment 2172

- open up scene release site on internet browser

Step 3: View attachment 2173

- open up usenet index on internet browser

step 4: View attachment 2174

- on scene release site search for a release, copy name of wanted release

step 5: View attachment 2181

- paste release name into newsgroup index sites searchengine

step 6: View attachment 2176

- create a nzb file

step 7: View attachment 2177

- open up nzb file with newsreader and wait until download is completed (time of download depends on your internet bandwidth & usenet account)

step 8: View attachment 2178

- go to download folder & open .par file with recovery tool (if nessesary it will recover broken files)

step 9: View attachment 2179

- unpack archive with packer/unpacker tool

step 10: View attachment 2180

- have fun by enjoying a scene release !!! :)

this little howto is just for education purpose.

keep in mind you are responsible for all you do. ;)

14. 15
    uber

uber Loyal Member

Another vote here for:

Astraweb - $96 USD for a year - Best retention, SSL, rare takedowns, best price
    NZBmatrix - Verified, virus free downloads plus a pretty funny community there. $7 euro I think for a lifetime membership. Run it over https:// for even more peace of mind
    SABnzbd - Easy as shit, give it an NZB file and it'll spit out your content at the end without you having to do a thing

If you combine the above with a VPN service (anyone know the best ones for price/value? all the ones I see are ripoffs) absolutely all of your usenet activity will be encrypted and hidden from even your ISP.

15. 23
    Captin

Captin Loyal Member

Just a point about security and why I've always preferred Usenet over other download methods.

The biggest thing I like about the usenet is that you connect to one server and NOT to someone else PC. You only have to open your firewall up to incoming and 1 port.

With p2p and torrents you are connected to a few to a hundred (or more) IP addresses each one of those IP addresses could potentially be a hacker, virus dickhead, law enforcement or other threats. Yes there are various ways to try to guard yourself, like peer guardian, but as the writer of peer guardian once said in an interview on their own forums "We will not aid you in downloading illegal content, or hide from those wishing to find you for doing so".

You can use VPN or proxies, but you cannot hide or mask your IP from your own ISP, and so cannot hide from anyone asking your ISP for your IP and activity logs, although they would have to have a good case and good legal cause, at least here in the UK.

The usenet is a large network of servers containing only text (I know you can download films, music, software etc...) but they are all stored as encoded text messages.

The way the usenet works is like this,

You have a film you want to share,
    You tell your news posting program to send it to your chosen newsgroup,
    Your news upload program (on your PC) will split that film up into thousands of little parts, encode them using UUEncode into text files,
    It will then send all those thousands of text files as individual messages upto the news server and onto the usenet in your chose newsgroup.

When you want to download something then your news reader will download all the 1000's of messages UUDecode them and join them and put them onto your PC as the original film (or RAR files).

So at any stage in-between all that your ISP can see is you uploading or downloading several 1000 scrambled text messages.

This is unlike p2p or torrents that upload binary files. Also probably the reason that in all the court cases you hear about it's torrents or p2p that was used for the method of downloading/uploading.
    Another thing which is not mentioned is that in both p2p and torrents at the same time as you downloading you are uploading (sharing), so technically the law can prosecute you for distribution as well as downloading.

The usenet is one way traffic (unless you choose to upload something), 1 connection to your server and only for downloads.

16. 120
    Enzomatrx

Enzomatrx Loyal Member

Seriously... yes Usenet can cost some money. But with SSL connections and the fact it's just a constant stream of "text" you're far safer than any torrent will ever be.

Any law enforcement official can get into a "private" tracker... and then they just have to click on a bunch of files, and just grab a crapload of IPs.

PS3 Torrents are notorious for DMCA takedowns (on Usenet too, though it takes a bit sometimes or a release is missed or someone just reuploads it anyway). But for a fact I know Feds sit on ThePirateBay PS3 torrents and just grab those IPs.

All Usenet looks like to an ISP is a lot of downstream traffic if you mooch a lot. But they typically don't care .
    Comcast has a 250GB monthly limit that -- back in my ROM whore day -- I could have easily topped. However, once my "need to download all new movies and TV shows and games because ha ha ha I want them all even though I will never play them or watch them" phase ended, I am hard-pressed to top 80GB on a "heavy" month.

Usenet, with its retention and speed, lets you actually "decide" when to download something. If I don't want that 7GB file now, it'll still be there in 1160 days at this point. It's insane.

17. 23
    Captin

Captin Loyal Member

I suppose my ISP. virginmedia, calls me a heavy user, on average I download around 2-3tb of stuff per month. Quite a lot of that is US tv shows (because to be honest most of the UK TV shows are from the US and I like to watch them before they come over here). We have around 80 shows we watch during the week. We don't keep anything, just watch it and delete it.

I also download quite a few large files like 1080p MKV or full blu-ray. After all there's no point having a 1080p TV and watching crappy AVI files. :) Plus my PS3 is quite happy playing them sent from ps3mediaserver.

Virgin watch the common ports used for p2p, torrents & usenet and throttle them during the day, but at night (when I do my downloading) they don't care.

You can get around it sometimes by using un-common ports, Astraweb uses port 8080 for instance.

18. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

Just thought I'd mention for http://xsusenet.com users they have a 25GB monthly bandwidth cap now. I just made another account different email address

19. 113
    Adamsville

Adamsville Loyal Member

I might have to make 2 more accounts for xusenet then

20. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

Yeah itll give you an authentication failure and just show 0kb/s dl speed so if getting a big archive makesure you have a backupserver in place (like me another xusenet account haha)