hit tracker

'Game Dev Tycoon' turns piracy back on pirates

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Apr 29, 2013.

By GaryOPA on Apr 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  1. 25,329
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    Pretty cool (and hilarious) anti-piracy measure...

[​IMG]

A version of 'Game Dev Tycoon' forces those who pirated the game to fail from piracy. 93.6% of players running that 'cracked' copy...

Greenheart Games, the two man indie developer creators of 'Game Dev Tycoon' for the PC, included a special surprise within "hacked" copies of their game.

Anybody who runs a "cracked" version of their development simulator, will have their virtual product "pirated" so they can see what it feels like...

And so, pirates complained to their games being pirated in within the game...

The game only costs $7.99 (£5.15) to buy. However, after a day on sale, 3104 of the 3318 copies being played were pirated. That's a 93.6% piracy rate...

So, what do you think of this anti-piracy measure?

You can read the full post by the game devs HERE!

NEWS SOURCE #1: Game Dev Tycoon forces those who pirate the game to unwittingly fail from piracy (via) EuroGamer
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Game Dev Tycoon turns piracy back on the pirates (via) Destructoid

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Apr 29, 2013.

1. 501
      Nicotine

Nicotine Loyal Member

so much win!

2. 170
      Penner

Penner Loyal Member

This needs to be extended with a donate button for the pirated version. And if enough pirates of the real game donate money, the real game gets an update, with a donate button for the virtual games inside.

3. 7
      Collector

Collector Loyal Member

So where do I get my free copy at? :D

4. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I LOL'd even if it is flawed plus this has produced free marketing for them so it will be interesting to see what happens.

5. 52
      BlckAdr

BlckAdr Loyal Member

They got a point.

I lol:ed to. Though I make it a point to buy/pay for my favourit games, I must admitt I cant throw the first stone on pirates.
      Also if you look at their point of view, you can see why we get DRM, always on line and other nuisances like that.
      The problem of course is that it hits the legit consumer the worst.

6. 556
      Z3R0B4NG

Z3R0B4NG Loyal Member

lol hilarious...

the dude puts his game on a torrent tracker (where stuff spreads like wildfire from seedbox to seedbox) and then complains that only a few people bought it legit, without it even being on Steam or anything anybody would notice.

For these guys it seems that getting the word out is more important than actually selling the game for the moment.

Nice PR gag but lets wait how the numbers are after 1 day on Steam's frontpage. (with a proper trailer + demo linked)

7. 12
      modfrenzy

modfrenzy Loyal Member

It was because of this article that I actually went to their site and downloaded the Demo. It's a very close clone of Game Dev Story by Kariosoft on Android, but with a twist and more depth. (They show the new Microsoft Xbox and ps4 as in what the system looks like)

Spoiler:thekinectv2isbuiltintothenewxbox.theps4looksverymuchlikeamixbetweentheps2&ps3

After playing it for a little while I actually went ahead and bought the game. 1 year in and I get all these pop ups from the guys who made the game thanking me for buying the real game and so on. It's a fun game and is priced well for what you get.

I agree with you guys, steam really is the way to go, maybe one of you guys should email the devs, they might give you the game for free, haha.

Full disclosure, I am not affiliated, associated or have anything to do with this game or the owners/developers. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013