hit tracker

Game saves and how to manage them

Discussion in 'Useful Tools & Tutorials' started by lemanuel, Jan 24, 2015.

1. 77
    veekay

veekay Loyal Member

I was able to use the link posted by liomajor to easily convert all my saves aside from Pokemon - all of them were played in 9.x firmware, but used the older encryption.

liomajor likes this.
  2. 17
    jsgogeta

jsgogeta Loyal Member

managin a save file

So i have a question about managing a save, I have MH4G retail cartridge, what I want to know is how can I create a rom and keep my current save file.

Thanks in advance!!!!

3. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

If the save was created while playing in the newest firmwares, it probably won't be possible to still use it due to having a save encryption not compatible. That way you would probably only be able to keep using the save by playing the retail card in Classic Mode.

In any case, you can dump the game using the option in GW Menu to do just that. It will create a rom in your SD card so you need to have enough space for it. If the game's size is bigger than 4GB, it will also split into two files (since the SD card is FAT32 and can't have files bigger than 4GB) and you'll have to use a tool to merge the two. Afterwards, all you have to do is move it to the mSD card and rename the extension to .3dz

jsgogeta likes this.
  4. 17
    jsgogeta

jsgogeta Loyal Member

The save was created under 9.2, what about the GW option to save and inject saves, what is the purpose of those functions. I use that function to extract the save to the sd card.

Thanks in advance!!!

5. 3,760
    lemanuel

That option is GW menu is used to dump the save from the cartridge but it doesn't work for all games for two reasons: if the size of the save isn't the same as GW's saves (512KB), it won't work. And if the encryption of the save isn't compatible with GW, it will appear in the game as corrupted.

6. 17
    McGuim

McGuim Loyal Member

Any way to convert .sav file to use in cia games?

7. 3,760
    lemanuel

8. 17
    McGuim

McGuim Loyal Member

I tried, but looks none of options in filer create one .sav file, L+A never shows as an option and filer dont see the sav which i downloaded and put on SD too... It just create a few other files inside other folders. Looks like i'm missing something, but i cant find the problem.

But thanks again for the tutorial link! If it worked as it is written would have solved.

9. 6
    DaHavoc

DaHavoc Loyal Member

Can I somehow convert my 3ds save to fit 3dz? (monster hunter 4 u)

10. 3,760
    lemanuel

Try to use Savedatafiler.
    Extract the save from the .3ds rom first to make it Raw format (which isn't linked to the header).
    The create a save with your .3dz rom. Afterwards inject the Raw save from before into the new save.

11. 209
    codychaosx

codychaosx Loyal Member

Now I'm assuming the saves region matter. But my question is can I transfer my Eur mm3d CIA save file to a mm3d USA retail cart? Lol I'm not too far but I think I'm gna stop playing just in case I'll have to start over once I get my Us n3ds

12. 3,760
    lemanuel

Honestly, I'm not sure. Some games saves are compatible between regions, such as Pokemon, but even like that it can give problems since there are always specific stuff for each region.
    So unless it's properly edited first (which Idk how), my best guess is that the answer is no due to the region's situation.

13. 209
    codychaosx

codychaosx Loyal Member

Yeah I was gna take the save from the CIA and then rename the file so it matches what the usa save would look like and then try to export it to the card. Well I guess well find out tomorrow night :p

14. 6
    Koraxor

Koraxor Loyal Member

So, I'm on 9.2 sysnand, I suppose this means there's no way for me to transfer my EU MH4U .cia save to a US MH4U .cia?

15. 3,760
    lemanuel

Well.. Idk how MH4U works but since the saves are from different regions, it probably won't work.

16. 6
    Koraxor

Koraxor Loyal Member

I don't think the region thing itself is much of an issue, MHVuze was able to get his MH4G save on his MH4U, I meant more that I'm on 9.2 sysnand, so SDF wouldn't work for me trying to transfer my save right? I found a post of a guy getting a save from a EU version to his US version of another game and it seems relatively easy. But more concerned with .cia save being encrypted or something and having no way to do it.

Edit: I just exported the save (I think) and it doesn't say broken for it, and I got no error while doing it, does that mean it's fine? Even though I'm on 9.2 sysnand?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  17. 3,760
    lemanuel

Yeah, you can try to check if it works but it probably appears Broken as usual.

Hmm... actually if you're using CIA and you started the save that way, it might be possible. GW Mode uses the old encryption keys, so if you just want to use SDF to manage the saves, it might recognize it since it's using the old encryption keys due to GW Mode

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  18. 6
    Koraxor

Koraxor Loyal Member

Ha, see my edit on my previous post, hopefully this will work then, here's the link to the guy that did this for Fantasy Life.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/fantasy-life-save-region-conversion-savedatafiler.373738/

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to extract under User or Ext, but I was able to extract it under both. (I'm assuming user is the one that matters?). I'm new to SDF, but there's nowhere I need to manually decrypt like it says in that post right? Because I see no button about decrypting, just weird that he says decrypt it with SDF. I'm just assuming it decrypts automatically if it does.

19. 3,760
    lemanuel

That's good. I think the important data is in the User tab since the Ext tab is for extra stuff. And if you're able to extract it, then the files you get are already decrypted (in RAW format).

As for what you have to edit, it might not be the same as the saves for Fantasy Life since it's a different game. Most likely the easier way to make sure will be trying to compare a save from EUR region with a save from US region and trying to check small differences in it.

20. 6
    Koraxor

Koraxor Loyal Member

I hear you, I'm gonna try to find what MHVuze said on how he did it, but I'll probably try the fantasy life way first just because it's pretty easy and short, then I'll go from there.

Quick question, if you download and play an eshop game on emunand in gateway mode, is the save still encrypted the old way as well? Is it only retail cartridges that are basically saved with the new encryption in classic mode? Or can you not play eshop games in gateway mode?