hit tracker

Game saves and how to manage them

Discussion in 'Useful Tools & Tutorials' started by lemanuel, Jan 24, 2015.

1. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

If you download a game from eShop, it will act exactly like a game installed as CIA. The save only gets created when playing the game so how you get the game isn't important. Only where you play it is what's important. In this case, at least for now, any save created in GW Mode will use the old encryption.
    Classic Mode uses the sysnand encryption keys so it will depend on the firmware of your sysnand. It's like that since update 3.0 because before it also used the old keys (which rendered retail cards' saves created in firmware above 6.x incompatible). That's probably why GW's team changed how Classic Mode works.

2. 6
    Koraxor

Koraxor Loyal Member

Cool then, thanks for the info! Longtime MonHun player and supporter, I buy them all, but they all get leaked early, and I've always been able to use the save from the downloaded version (PSP and Wii both saved to SD), so I was really looking for a way to do this, this time as well, it's cool GW mode uses the old encryption then, because I should be able to transfer the save with some work then to the eshop version. Thanks a lot man, made my day.

3. 6
    Koraxor

Koraxor Loyal Member

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to say I successfully converted my EU .cia save to the US eshop version of MH4U, should obviously work converting the save to the US .cia as well.

4. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

Nice. Thanks for the feedback :)

5. 9
    paura01

paura01 Loyal Member

I've been trying to read the whole topic, but not sure if I fully understand correctly, here my concern.
    Having a 3DS XL with sysnand 4.x and emunand 7.1 is it possible to transfer my save data into a N3DS with sysnand 9.0 and eventually play my save when a new GW will be release? I understood that from 6.1 a new decryption has been implemented into sav files. Having install SaveDataFiler unfortunately I am not able to see any save data into my USER tab as they all appear as broken (3 files only including CRT Card). Any suggestion or support more than welcome :)

6. 56
    Skeet1983

Skeet1983 Loyal Member

Are there any good sites to get GW saves from besides filetrip and 3ds-savegames.com? Also, are there any save editors besides the one(s) for the Pokémon games?

7. 1
    nokia2100

nokia2100 Loyal Member

I extract save by SaveDataFiler but how can i modified save file. I used hex workshop but i cant find anything data from game.
    Anyone help me

8. 1
    Chilli

Chilli Loyal Member

Can you help me plz
    I tried to export my save with savedatafiler but I can't find it in the ext tab.
    Actually just a few of my gamesave appear there.
    Is there any way I can fix that?

9. 9
    madriano13

madriano13 Loyal Member

I have a save file on my Fire Emblem Fates Conquest .3ds file, and now I downloaded the special edition .3dz file to play the other paths. Can I use the same save I had before? If yes, how?

EDIT: Nevermind, managed to do it using the in-game bookmark shenanigans.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
  10. 36
    PlatinumLucario

PlatinumLucario Loyal Member

I'm trying to get my save of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (BPXP) to work with Gateway on a 3DS that has sysNAND 4.5. Since the game was saved on a 3DS on the latest sysNAND version, it's obvious that the save file is encrypted differently than it is with a 4.5 save, making the game think it's corrupted. I'm using a .3ds ROM, btw. Is there any way I can change the save file so it can work on my downgraded 3DS?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
  11. 36
    PlatinumLucario

Is no one going to help me with my problem? I do apologize for making a deliberate consecutive post, but I really need help with making my save file work on Gateway with a 3DS that has sysNAND at 4.5. 'Cause I know attempting to make it work results in the game thinking the data is corrupt.

12. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

Was the save made on a cart or with a cia of the game?

You're using a rom or trying to get the save onto the rom?

If the save is on a cart you can play the cart in classic mode and force +7x encryption. You can't run sdf in classic mode though so you'd probably have to use a cfw to extract the save and inject it into the rom.

EDIT:
    Dude, I only just saw your post. Hiding it in a tutorials forum isn't going to improve your chances of getting a response. I suggest you post in the main forum in future. No one is getting paid for this, we're all just people like you who are kind enough to try and help others out.

13. 36
    PlatinumLucario

Ah okay, thank you for letting me know. As for the save type, it's Card1 (the one in which stores the save file in a separate location, which is what most 3DS games use). Remember, this is Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, in which the save type is just like most 3DS games. Do you know how I can modify the save data so it can work with Gateway? 'Cause if I use the actual cart itself, or even just the ROM itself it will say that the data is corrupt (due to it's different encryption key). I really don't want to start over from scratch. Any help would be much appreciated!

14. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

If you're trying to get the save off the cart and onto a rom I've already answered your question above. You'll need an updated emunand to use +7x encryption in classic mode though and take a look on gbatemp for a cfw. If you have a different scenario then explain it in a bit more detail.

15. 36
    PlatinumLucario

Okay, allow me to explain it further. I'm not trying to inject the save into a ROM. What I'm trying to do is get my retail Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon save to work on Gateway.

I just tried using Custom Firmware, it made no difference, same message came up saying "The save file is corrupted and will be deleted!".

Heck, I even tried restoring my 9.2.0 sysNAND, thinking that it would fix the problem, but it didn't. It still came up with the same message.

Does this mean that there's actually a 10.6.x save file encryption as well? What can I do?

Edit: Okay, well I discovered that if I restored my 9.2 sysNAND backup, Pokémon X can read the save properly (unlike when it was on firmware 4.5). But Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon retail saves will still have problems, even on sysNAND 9.2. So that confirms that Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon uses a more newer save encryption type.

00089.png 00090.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016
  16. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

According to this http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Savegames#Savegame_Encryption there isn't a newer encryption. You can dump the cart and use rom tool to confirm the encryption type it uses.

So when you force +7x encryption in classic mode you get that corrupted message? What version emunand are you using? Are you absolutely sure that save still works when you put the cart into the console it was saved on? Have you searched to see if this game includes any other type of save protection that may have corrupted the save or be causing issues not related to its encryption?

17. 36
    PlatinumLucario

Actually, upon further research into this. I used my retail game card while in Classic Mode, and my old save file worked! But when using it with my dumped ROM in Gateway mode with my dumped save, it reads it as "corrupt", even when on a sysNAND at 6.x.x or higher. It seems that Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon and newer 3DS games use encryption keys that are unique to each manufactured retail game card. Yes, it uses the 6.x.x save encryption type, but it also uses another layer of encryption which is within the game card itself.

18. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

Yay, it worked! Classic mode now allows you to force encryption if necessary but gateway mode will always use the old encryption type so that's why the save won't work in your dumped rom. If you want to get the save onto the rom you'll need to extract the save with sdf to decrypt it before transferring it to the rom and re-encrypting it for the old save encryption gw uses. You may also have to delete the secure value in sdf before transferring it to the rom as some games use this as save protection.

19. 2
    M_PIXL

M_PIXL Loyal Member

Is this only on the gateway3ds? Because i am switching to a Stargate after the death of gateway, as the .3ds files are stored in the same place can i safely upgrade my firmware and use the stargate without potentially locking years worth of data behind an unaccesable/locked gate?