hit tracker

Gateway 3DS - Releases Statement about RMA'ing your Bricks

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by GaryOPA, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 25,645
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    How to go about returning your 3DS if you have a LEGIT Brick

With all the recent speculation about flashcarts causing 'bricks', the Gateway Team has released a statement regarding how to return your 3DS if you have bricked systems NOTcaused by you using Clones

[​IMG]

Here is what to do about returning your Nintendo 3DS to the Gateway Team, if and only if you have what is called a LEGIT brick, that is you have not to your knowledge been using any 3DS Clone Flashcart or any unofficial modded launchers like what Normatt released:

So there you have it, and again it shows that the Gateway Team cares and goes above and beyond for their customers and support and stand behind their product, unlike the clone makers that are supported by the shaddy actions of their main engineer Normatt.

OFFICIAL SITE: Gateway 3DS

OFFICIAL SUPPORT: Gateway 3DS Forums

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014
    Lokemostert and Zelda like this.
  2. 8
    ulon

ulon Loyal Member

I don't know what to think about all this. Everything is so bizarre. One thing is for sure; my Gateway is on the way, but I'm not gonna use it untill all this mess is cleared.

3. 124
    myfire

myfire Loyal Member

Just too bad that the cost to send 3ds from my country to gw team and for them to send it back would be more than $100
    so it would not be a solution for me if mine got bricked..
    but fortunately.. mine is still ok... and i hope it stays ok..

Actually i'm a bit confused with ppl that used gateway and other clones/normatt launcher
    If u have already used gateway, u wouldnt need other clones or free region by normatt as gateway can do all (as it is the inventor) and free region too
    If they didnt use gateway than it's another matter..

4. 127
    Linkel

Linkel Loyal Member

Best part is: We read 3DS like a book. Killed me

5. 1,437
    powertome

powertome Clean-Up Crew

They technically can't read it unless they know how to decrypt the NAND.
    I think what they mean is is that they know how the motherboard on it works, and the code that runs on it.

6. 170
    kyogre123

kyogre123 Loyal Member

Now the question is: If the problem was indeed caused by their launcher, what will they do about their firmware?

Also, how would they know what caused the problem? Is GW's code in the memory of the 3DS after it bricked? what if the battery dies? If it's the same error code as the clones and they judge the issue by it, will they automatically assume that it was not caused by their launcher?

7. 87
    b17bomber

b17bomber Loyal Member

I bet what will happen is I'll brick legitimately, send it off, and they'll just claim I did something wrong and charge me more.

8. 1,437
    powertome

powertome Clean-Up Crew

Well bomber that's pretty pessimistic.
    What if you just don't pay for it back.

9. 1,053
    gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Loyal Member

he looses the ability to sell it on as spare parts...idk it is all a bit "risky" until i actually see anyone being honored with this promise....i cant really put my faith in it, i would love to just think "wow thats perfect" but lets be fair its not like its an international company like nintendo making the promise and if the nand is indeed wiped....i cant think of a way they could distinguish the difference.......unless ofcourse.......don't shoot me here.....but if the bricking code is indeed caused by gateway code, maybe they write a copy of the payload used that resulted in the brick to the nand (for validation purposes)....so when/if they dump the nand they see exactly what the payload used was and if it matches a known patched payload or clone payload they just wipe their butt on the 3DS and post it back

10. 170
    kyogre123

kyogre123 Loyal Member

I emailed Gateway asking some questions in an unbiased way. I hope they respond to a particular point but I'm afraid they could give me a different answer...

I guess the only thing left here is to hope that apolloooooo sends his 3DS to Gateway and we'll see how this turns out, however the process could take weeks :/

11. 908
    guymelef

guymelef Loyal Member

I just want to post my opinion.

I feel that this extension from gateway is spot on and more than fair. Granted the shipping cost has to be considered. It doesn't make clear if the user, vendor, or GW pays for it. But in any case, it's fair. This is modding people. If no one told you, we are taking risks. I was hoping GW would do something like this. This is the only way to get to the bottom of this. Additionally if the GW brick reports are 100% on the level, then congratulations, your consoles are now fixed if you can wait a while and get it to the post office.

As far as the 'intentional bricking' theory goes. I'm still not convinced this was a malicious act by GW. Call me naive. Certainly the state of the NAND can be dumped by GW. The Red card might hold some clues as well.

Anyway, the bricked GWs: stay with us here at maxconsole and let us know how it goes.

I'm actually surprised they didn't offer to fix the clone bricks, if the user sent in the clone and purchased a Gateway. That might be conceived as a bit predatory though.

12. 390
    realtimesave

realtimesave MaxConsole Product Reviewer MaxConsole News Team

I have been using R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe for a long time now with no issues. I also own the Gateway 3DS. Actually I own two Gateway 3DS and one R4i Gold. In case anyone thinks I'm not supporting :)

13. 1,437
    powertome

powertome Clean-Up Crew

Remember real, that the bricking code launches based on a checksum failure, and a random event trigger.
    It's not supposed to immediately brick you. It's supposed to play Russian Roulette.
    Why do you have a clone and a GW? Is there a point to having both?

14. 69
    Jiro

Jiro Loyal Member

This is nonsense.

GW claims that nobody has actually had their 3DS bricked by a real Gateway.

What do you think is going to happen when someone sends in a 3DS that has been bricked? Right. They'll think everyone that sends in a 3DS is lying. After all, they believe it never happens! Why in the world would sending them your 3DS suddenly convince them that it happens?

It's contradictory to say "we don't believe bricks by real Gateways exist" and "we will fix bricks caused by real Gateways". They're not going to fix something they believe doesn't exist.

15. 89
    Commoner

Commoner Loyal Member

It is completely possible that Gateway believes that their software is safe but does not discount the possibility that some rogue bug of some sort that they are not aware of can be mistaken for the same bug that is causing bricks on clone carts.

If this is indeed the case then having a 3ds which has been affected by the rare issue can be invaluable for replicating the conditions under which that bug can be triggered and is thus probably of more inherent value to the Gateway Team than the cost of a single working 3ds unit.

16. 908
    guymelef

guymelef Loyal Member

Sorry Jiro, Commoner is on point.
    Pessimism will get us nowhere. If the claims are true, then there is nothing to worry about. If they aren't, I'm sure GW will provide solid proof why. Either way, it's a win win. GW is putting their time and money where their mouth is. What have the clones done???????????????

**** edit Furthermore, if it is a 'regular' style brick, I believe they stated that they would still fix or replace it. This right here is above and beyond. It's probably temporary until this whole Clone-theft/gateway-beta business blows over.

Seriously though what the hell has anyone besides GW done about this????

If it weren't for the clones there would be these 3 people with a problem for gateway to fix. Do you see now how this whole situation is completely blown out of proportion??

Sorry for the edit didn't want to double post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014
  17. 724
    doodad

doodad Loyal Member

Programmer/Web developer
    Best comment ever.

As I said before, when this kind of thing happens, you can only wait for the dust to settle.

18. 36
    pompus

pompus Loyal Member

What if .. there are clonecards circulating that look exactly like a gateway card ?
    People think they have a real gateway gateway card , yet they still receive bricks .

Would be interesting to know where the "real" retail gateway cards that received blue screen were bought from ?

19. 127
    Linkel

Linkel Loyal Member

Thats why they have official resellers in their official website

20. 36
    pompus

pompus Loyal Member

There are many more resellers besides the official ones .
    PLus , official dealers could sell copied gateway cards without them knowing if they look exactly the same .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.