hit tracker

GATEWAY 3DS: Status Update - New Firmware Release Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by GaryOPA, Feb 13, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Feb 13, 2017 at 11:37 PM
  1. 25,642
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    13/02 – 11.3 Emunand

It's been just over a week since Nintendo sadly updated their Nintendo 3DS firmware to v11.3, but now Gateway 3DS developers have released an 'status update' on their progress towards a big new update for their flashcarts with lots of amazing new features!
    [​IMG]
    People were worried Gateway 3DS had not updated their website, but no longer, and in their 'status update', they have stated that alot more goodies are in store, so the wait will be well worth it, all tho sadly it might still be a few more weeks away, but its coming SOON!
    Good things come to those that wait! :)

OFFICIAL SITE: --> http://www.gateway-3ds.com/1302-11-3-emunand/

Last edited: May 23, 2018

Comments

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by GaryOPA, Feb 13, 2017.

1. 34
      ybmug

ybmug Loyal Member

Called it! They're delaying GW and now SG... but they sure are enjoying all of that pre-order money.

KhenemetHeru likes this.
    2. 94
      Andy A

Andy A Loyal Member

With everything being based on the release of the StarGate is part of the problem.

It's slipped from early September, when the pre orders were supposed to be shipped, to mid October and even that isn't a certainty and then we have to wait a month longer for our update.

You're right about the holidays though. I'd love to have the amount of public holidays they get.

3. 357
      Gaming Freak

Gaming Freak Loyal Member

Honestly i think Gateway have done a runner just like the Supercard team have done.
      I would not pre order anything through them.
      I have been around a long time to know.
      I even helped beta testing the Ninjapass X9 which of course also failed again because of the developer.

4. 3
      phr3ak

phr3ak Loyal Member

Hey Gary, since the GW team apparently don't give a fuck and abandoned us. Is there any change to ask then to release some of its source code to be able load ROMs on the red card with a CFW? I really really rather run ROMs than installing CIAs

5. 95
      GatewayBugReport

GatewayBugReport Loyal Member

Even if they release the source code to everyone, I am not sure that Luma or any other free cfw will add support for rom loading, otherwise they would have to credit Gateway and I am pretty sure they won't. (even if they didn't have to credit Gateway, I am pretty sure they won't add that.)

My thought is that they should give the source to someone/ a team less busy than them :p

6. 216
      LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

Yeah, they'd probably just insult you, then tell you that ROM loading is "improper" or something. Arrogant fascists that they are. But here's the thing. Luma is open source. There's a modded fork out now that has a CIA installer right in the Rosalina menu. Besides, I get the feeling history is about to repeat itself, and a new fork is about to emerge as the new king. Every time I have tried to get them to fix a compatibility issue, it's been the same story. "It's not our problem." That may be true. However, for one thing, it's incredibly rude to say that. For another, you don't stay on top by sitting still. You sit there and say it's not your problem long enough, someone else is going to come along and make it their problem. It's already happened to their chainloader. The author of BootCTR9 has made them look like a bunch of chumps for not supporting converted payloads. Their chainloader might be doing everything "properly" but it sure does suck.

Oh yeah, there's another controversy brewing with Luma as well. They've decided to remove the "friends" patch in an attempt to force everyone to update to play online. Granted, there's really no good reason to stay on an old version, but, since they were kind enough to point me straight to the code with that commit, I think I'll copy and paste it right back in ;) . In fact, now that I know where it is, I can even update the patch on legacy :D .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    7. 95
      GatewayBugReport

GatewayBugReport Loyal Member

THIS is why I don't want to touch Luma, their dev always think they are doing the right decision and their fanboys are always "ok" with them.

Like, when Rei was not ok when the fork of his project was "better" than the original, they made a drama of it.
      I wonder what they would say if Luma was forked to an another name and get better, pretty sure they won't like that, it's of course an human feeling. (but I doubt it'll happen since the 3ds it's at his EOL, more dev/flashcard team(?) goes to the Switch now.)

At the end, I have the feeling they want everyone to use Luma, the fact they removed the friend patch is an inevitable proof.

I hope the futur Switch hacking scene won't be like that :/

8. 216
      LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

Well, this caught plenty of heat even on Github. One of the devs locked the thread already. I can only imagine the fireworks on the next release. But it was extremely easy to put back. And it should stay there the next time I pull, I think. I'm not that familiar with Git's intricacies yet, but I think local changes are kept even without doing a commit (I would do one, but it wants me to setup a username and e-mail).

Well, it is their project, all the same. They can do what they want with it. As long as they don't delete the old commits from Github, I'm just not even going to say anything. I don't need them to support it. It's only 16 lines. And keeping it up to date just means changing one number when Nintendo updates the friends module. You could probably train a monkey to do it ;) .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    9. 3
      Anderneos

Anderneos Loyal Member

So, I've decided to wait a little bit longer just to make sure if we could have the update or not.
      It seems gateway is dead. So would you advise to go to CFW? I've waited so much that I'm afraid I will go to CFW and the next day..."update!"...you know..Murphy's law

Thanks everyone!

10. 94
      Andy A

Andy A Loyal Member

Well looking around it will now be December if we get the update as we have to wait a month after the StarGate card is released, which some of the sites now have it as an early to mid November release.

The good thing with the new cfw and b9s combos is that it also makes it possible to downgrade your firmware. So in theory if this update appears and is worth the trouble you could go back to Gateway.

Anderneos likes this.
    11. 3
      Anderneos

Anderneos Loyal Member

Awesome! Will do that then, thanks for the help!

12. 2,067
      Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

November is still the estimate. Middle November. The atargate card starts being shipped soon

13. 216
      LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

Actually, my InScripted AIO was designed to allow you to have both. It boots to Luma by default, has GW on B, and includes a bunch of other CFWs as well should you want to mess with them (if not, you don't have to, but I try to include it all just in case). The last release added the ability to choose B9S or GM9 for your firm when installing Sighax (I'm starting to prefer GM9 with all the additional features it allows) I'm preparing a new version that uses the recent BootCTR9 release that eliminates the occasional random crashes with Luma. I would have used it in R6, but it didn't run Decrypt9. I've been able to work around it though, so, it will be in R7. I'll also be switching to a SALTMODE build of GM9 since it has no splash screen as a firm (though it's going to use R+X to avoid conflicting with "Cakes Launcher" on start). I'm planning to release it later tonight or early next morning if I don't find any bugs in the meantime.

14. 390
      realtimesave

realtimesave MaxConsole Product Reviewer MaxConsole News Team

What I don't understand is, am I suppose to update my New 3DS XL to the most recent FW (11.6 I guess it is now?) and then run R4i-B9S installer on that, and then use InScripted AIO to be able to use my Gateway 3DS still? Or will that screw over my New 3DS XL? I want to try out Team Kirby Clash Deluxe but it won't work from Sys 9.0.0-8U nor whatever old EmuNAND I have installed for Gateway 3DS.

Secondly, the CFW setup continually deletes my themes from my EmuNAND! How annoying!

15. 390
      realtimesave

CFW won't let you run *.3DS files which are the majority of games format as far as I can tell. So far my experience with CFW is that it kinda sucks. I prefer Gateway 3DS still.

16. 357
      Gaming Freak

Gaming Freak Loyal Member

I moved to CFW and love it. Sick of flash card teams that are useless and promise everything and delivery nothing. I have 3 x Gateway cards that i have basically said are now useless. Every flash card team does exactly the same like R4, Supercard and now Gateway.

17. 390
      realtimesave

I think team gateway will pull through. It is so simple to use with my new 3ds xl, don't have to open up the thing to get the microsd card out. I think we are on the cheap, they continued to release new versions for a while and didn't force us into buying a new flash card. Now I'm baffled on this CFW, am I suppose to be running CFW 11.6? will I still be able to use gateway3ds with that with this guy's script? I dunno. I don't want to lose the capability of running *.3DS games. I'm not sure if I just update, or if I need to reinstall B9S after updating. I guess it isn't too confusing but if anyone has an idea of what I should do, it'd be appreciated.

18. 216
      LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

So, wait, you have B9S installed, already, right? You will not have to do it again if you update, if that is what you're asking. Updating will not overwrite your exploit (assuming you don't use GW mode to update SysNAND, that is, because Luma does write protect the firm partitions). You will still have B9S installed after performing an update.

As long as you have an EmuNAND on 11.2 or less, updating SysNAND to 11.6 is not going to break anything. For that matter, the next GW update shouldn't either (whenever we get it). InScripted should still run both unless said update breaks GW's functionality with A9LH (and considering GW still supports MSET, that seems unlikely).

You might want to decide what you want to do with your NANDs first. If you transfer your EmuNAND to SysNAND, you can have the same games on both, but then when you install games on one, you need to synchronize tickets on the other (I include optional scripts for this to make it easier). Or you could keep them separate and use Luma to run your CIAs on SysNAND, and just use GW's EmuNAND mostly for ROMs. This is a matter of personal preference. Neither way is necessarily more correct. I happen to prefer the first, but that's me. Once you decide whether to transfer or not, then update SysNAND to 11.6 and EmuNAND to 11.2 (you can still grab 11.2 with 3DNUS and use SysUpdater to install it).

Er, wait, that's right, you're that reviewer, and you just recently setup your EmuNAND. OK, it's probably linked already. That might explain your second issue (something I've not experienced). If you're using linked NANDs, you might need to synchronize the tickets. If you install a title on one, does it show up in Data Management on the other with a red x on it? If so, then your NANDs are linked. Use the "Ticket Sync Scripts" in "Extra Options" to synchronize the tickets after installing themes on one, and they should then show up on the other without issue (I made them optional because only GW owners with linked NANDs will need them). If you would prefer to have your NANDs unlinked and functioning independently of each other, just format one with TinyFormat (I actually include that in "Shove & Shift" in the "Xtrastuff" folders, along with a bunch of other extra apps, since the assumption is that you'll be away from your PC when using it).

BTW, for those that are intererested, R8 is out now.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    19. 14
      vastforce

vastforce Loyal Member

20. 94
      Andy A

Andy A Loyal Member

Frankenstein firmware. Been around for a while. It's only the emunand that can be done like that at the moment. Didn't work with everything when I tried it myself.