hit tracker

Gateway 3DS Team Releases Update Status About 9.2

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by GaryOPA, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Honestly, I just don't get why people are actually getting outright hateful saying stuff like that the Gateway team is lying and etc (the only official thing they've said this entire time is "soon"/"just around the corner"! They did not officially release ANY dates!!! How could they have lied when they didn't say the things that are being called lies?) Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're perfect. In fact, I think they screwed up. I think they should have rushed to get a working basic exploit out right off for 9.0-9.2 users and then done all the rest. Just get us up to basically Sky3DS functionality and then start adding features. Finally, once features are added, then start adding lower firmwares. Instead, what they're doing is an all or nothing mentality. They refuse to release it until every single feature and firmware is fully 100% implemented at this point. (Now, don't get me wrong, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't mean for them to rush and potentially even risk bugs that could brick hardware or something. I just mean that they don't have to do this whole all or nothing mentality and could have just focused on a bit at a time, then tested each bit thoroughly before release and with that initial more limited releases would have been far far sooner.) It's starting to become something of a problem for a lot of people even and roughly 90% of their userbase is getting outright upset (even I'm a bit upset at this point. Not angry mob, blaming them for everything so much as depressed and wishing I could use my hardware already as well as start playing the many games I'm putting off.)

It's too bad Sky3DS isn't priced based on its actual quality/feature level. It's priced as if it were premium and 10x better than anything Gateway could ever do, yet it is far far worse in every way. If it were price like it is -- like a cheap minimal cart that barely works -- then I could just have both. I had to pick one and as I've said earlier, even if it royally sucks having to wait, the Sky3DS is the wrong choice, period.

Rachiou and lemanuel like this.
  2. 49
    Soulgain

Soulgain Loyal Member

It could be that they need to create encryptions to prevent cloning as releases bit by bit would probably end up being cloned only for its useful parts so while yes it is logical in this situation to release at least something we might wanna think why it has to be released all at once. Gateway has expressed their thoughts against rushing so I don't see that happening anytime soon. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure gateway mentioned something about releasing "highly featured updates which are also future proof" so it could also be protections that can last as long as we need it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
    EddieCanterDean and lemanuel like this.
  3. 209
    codychaosx

codychaosx Loyal Member

Yeah I really wish the sky3ds wasn't so outrageously priced..without the region free ability Ill get with my gateway it's not worth dropping 80 some dollars on for games I'll barely understand in my n3ds ll. But for like $40 bones I'd be all over it.

4. 5
    Godson777

Godson777 Loyal Member

Hiya Etika! I know you're reading these forums!

Anyway, I just felt like updating everyone on this guy. I wandered around his channel, found news about leaked Nintendo Direct stuff, prank Reggie amiibo. Then all of a sudden, BOOM. This shows up.

kthxbai.

...Mention me or you'll die, Etika. :V

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
  5. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

They can encrypt as they go. No need for an all or nothing mentality for such a purpose. If anything, more frequent changes actually hurt the clones in particular because it's very hard for them to keep up (with each new updated they would have to crack it, remove any protection schemes, and then adapt it to any changes in their own hardware such as perhaps increased latencies due to cheaper hardware or that sort of thing,) so this would actually result in clones tending to be more limited in capability if they did many increments versus just doing one single big one (aka they only have to crack the one big one once and they have all of that.)

I guess I wasn't clear enough before. I don't mean rushing. I explicitly don't mean rushing. Each step should be carefully thoroughly developed and tested thoroughly. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't be just only release it with absolutely every single feature they are currently working on all 100% complete and fully tested with all firmwares they are planning to support all ready right off and everything. Just go ahead and give us a basic thing that lets us do backups and very little else, then start working on those features. The same features can be added.

Actually, heck, belay that. Just do TWO updates instead of a bunch of incrementals and everyone is still basically satisfied. First, just the bare minimum needed to make the hardware simply function (and thus basically equal the competition like Sky3DS anyway.) Then take as long as is needed to do the rest.

Except that doesn't really make sense. Honestly, future proofing to me means stuff like emuNAND. But again, it does not have to be all or nothing. There's no technical reason that future proofing can only be done right at the very beginning.

6. 49
    Soulgain

Soulgain Loyal Member

We're still back to why it all has to be in one package. As long as we don't know that individual updates may not be coming until the next emuNand support.

7. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Ironically, for all we know emuNAND will be in this. They seem to be determined to do everything all at once.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that there's no reason it has to be all or nothing really. I think they just have decided that to them it has to be, which ultimately is the deciding factor whether that actually be right or wrong ultimately.

I think they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot though. People are saying bad things about GW all over the place now and it's getting harder and harder to argue that people shouldn't have been trusting all the e-mails and such. All this time they could have addressed the current situation a little more thoroughly on their website (especially since people still just aren't getting that they shouldn't trust the pictures of e-mails.) It's kind of creating a bad image for them and many are even electing to go ahead and get Sky3DS now rather than to wait on Gateway. They really really need to update the site with something for their own sakes really. Even if it's to say very little more than the previous post...

8. 37
    SpadesMagnes

SpadesMagnes Loyal Member

maybe some kind of twitter-like feedback should be better
    what do you say GaryOPA? can you try and make that happen?

9. 49
    Soulgain

Soulgain Loyal Member

Yeah I can see that as well probably because they wanted it to be seen as a "major" update.

10. 38
    Edwinem

Edwinem Loyal Member

Etika's hair is so incredibly awesome! Also nice of him to try and explain what's going on to the world. As it's confusing as heck. Unless you read the 155 pages of banter on here :p

11. 37
    SpadesMagnes

SpadesMagnes Loyal Member

I meant, so we as customers aren't that much in the dark

like one of the devs posts stuff like
    'ok, should be uploading now, I hope it works'

the direct feedback is better than having a messenger go around, it's worse if said messenger doesn't know the full version of the story

12. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Yeah, some kind of visible activity and maybe even very rare actual discussion with a dev would be leaps and bounds better for all of our mentalities.

My suspicion is it's not even about perceptions or anything. They just don't want to stop until it's basically all done. It's essentially the risk of falling into an OCD loop many programmers can run into (and back when I at least kind of enjoyed doing really simplistic programs would do. For instance, I can't tell you how many countless hours I wasted not actually even programming, but just perfectly sizing and shaping buttons, textboxes, and etc on an interface window...) Eg I think they just don't want to release it until basically every single feature they can currently do without digging further into things is not only fully developed, but 100% tested and everything is adjusted exactly right. (I'm not sure how many of you can really understand how much it can bother one if a text box is one pixel out of alignment, lol.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
    Sauerkraut likes this.
  13. 11
    bsxtn

bsxtn Loyal Member

My frustration now sits with gateway, it's a fucked up thing they did to garyopa, they feed him information and then some jerk posts a private message. He then confidently posts a deadline/release date and they sit in the dark and let trolls and baiters create shitty assumptions. For this, I feel your pain garyopa.

14. 209
    codychaosx

codychaosx Loyal Member

Is there confirmation somewhere stating theyre updating the look of the site? I keep seeing ppl say that here n there. But is there a post by someone reputable or something backing this up?

15. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

even if they changed the look of the website for this new update, it wouldn't be the reason of their "delay". so no need to even consider that

16. 603
    quacktony

quacktony Loyal Member

Disregard the massive flow of posts in here, the whining has now continued from gbatemps to here.

17. 35
    chrisluna413

chrisluna413 Loyal Member

Sales Associate
    East Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
    oh my goodness, that kid is cancer.

18. 22
    Zoisite

Zoisite Loyal Member

My thought is that they took time to extensively test the final version. Additionally they specifically didn't give this to anyone who made prior posts because they didn't want any information leaked - period. If they've decided to revamp the website... considering at worst I can have a website ready within a night of coffee and Dreamweaver-ing (Dreamweav-ing? Dreaaaaaaaamweaaavaaa', I believe you can get me through the niiiiiiiiight~!) that is probably not the hold up. Flawless documentation, however, would also be an acceptable cause. Installation instructions, capability listing, etc. We end-users have not taken into consideration translation. I mean, a small update? Not a problem. A whole new set of rules? Thaaaat might take a bit.

I've already stated "bad communication", and I think this is specifically due to the fact they either don't have a PR head and it might be an overly optimistic team member... or their PR is just that out of touch with the project. It's whatever.

The point is that garyopa isn't to blame. If anything I still stick with my prediction of "before Sunday", taking into consideration all I've said. I think a few of the admins here and those with experience on a dev team are likely to agree.

Also... keep in mind I've tried to keep this short, sweet, and to the point as possible. k? thx.

sparrowreal likes this.
  19. 689
    ksp

ksp Loyal Member

Thats the most fucked shit about all of this. That these losers would give Gary info about an eminent release and then completely leave him under the bus.

Who does that? I get that they pay part of the sites upkeep, but thats still pretty fucked up.
    If GW were a Chinese team, this would have never happened, not only did they lose face, but they made a whole bunch of credible people lose face with them and we all know face is everything. (joking)
    No, but seriously face is everything.

20. 69
    StarKnight

StarKnight Loyal Member

Consultant
    Ok... time for me to leave this thread and buy a Sky3DS.

I wanted to wait because of the good reputation Gateway had in the past... but now it is clear they are just fooling everybody. If you can not trust information given by administrators of their OFFICIAL support forum and also they refuse to give a release date or even a simple update then there is only a possible reason: 9.2 support is a hoax to sell as more stock cards as they can before leaving the scene. Competitors won and they lost the challenge. I really hope to be wrong for all those who already bought their card and don't have a 4.5 3DS... but so far this is the most obvious conclusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.