hit tracker

Gateway Releases Status on Their Next Big Update

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by GaryOPA, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2,067
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Welll....... you have tonkeep in mind that gateway did all the coding for their card and it worked when no one else had been able to. And they are the originator of emunand.... so obviously these guys can code. I' m not saying you're wrong. Just saying we've been surprised by them before.

2. 16
    Thulinma

Thulinma Loyal Member

Oh, yeah, I'm not questioning their skills at all.
    Just saying that they are a business, and not releasing their own method would make most business sense. *shrugs*

3. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

Gateway want to sell their cart, to do so they need as many selling points as possible since cfw came along. That's why they added their cheat feature, another selling point. More features equals more potential customers who may buy it for that new feature.

Getting the otp through the gw menu, via whatever method they may have, would be another great selling point especially for people that either don't understand or don't want to follow that guide. It makes total business sense for them to give a greater number of people a reason to buy their cart.

I assume gw can see the sense in this and this is the 'nice surprise' they teased. I hope they go all the way, make emunand free and lock out the gw menu with the red cart instead. They've gotta find some way to claw their way back into the market that cfw has lost them.

Faolan likes this.
  4. 214
    LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

I wouldn't call it jumping through hoops. Aurora provides the firmware90.bin file, and clear instructions on how to boot EmuNAND with it (just hold L if you're using updated SysNAND). There's nothing complicated about getting a 9.2 image for EmuNAND. You already have one -- sysnand_original.bin. If you restored your EmuNAND to SysNAND, it's using that profile now, so there will be no linkage of profiles from restoring your SysNAND backup to EmuNAND. Chances are it even has MenuHax and a boot manager already setup. All you have to do is make it type 1 and have it use L. Most people will have GW just by holding L at that point. Unless they were lazy and left MenuHax booting HBL. Then they'll either want to hex edit their payload to run something like gate.3dsx instead of boot.3dsx (and rename GW.3dsx to gate.3dsx, and copy it to the root), or setup a boot manager like bootCTR (make a copy of it's boot.3dsx as auto.3dsx and hex edit the MenuHax payload to run auto.3dsx, and if you're using BootCTR9 as well, also hex edit auto.3dsx to use boot_confg2.ini instead of boot_config.ini, so you can have both). MenuHax and the boot managers for it have been well documented for a long time, so, I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly isn't documented that needs to be done.

Still, I agree. Why would they reinvent the wheel? If they are going to recommend a method, it's probably going to use OTP Helper. That's a proven safe program at this point. The existing tutorial is terribly confusing, and makes way too many assumptions (that there's no need for EmuNAND anymore for example), but the process isn't really that complicated if properly explained.

It's basically just:

1. Install NAND DevMenu to EmuNAND.
    2. Backup your NANDS.
    3. Tiny Format EmuNAND twice, configuring wifi the second time.
    4. Install PlaiSysUpdater to EmuNAND.
    5. Backup EmuNAND again and copy the 2.1 update over.
    6. Run PlaiSysUpdater from EmuNAND and hit X for 2.1.
    7. Boot to the HBL, run OTP Helper, do the one click setup.
    8. Do the web based 2.x exploit, dump otp.bin and otp0x108.bin, then unmount and copy the files to your PC, and copy otp.bin to the a9lh folder.
    9. Make sure your SysNAND backup is on the SD card, reinsert the card, and restore your original SysNAND.
    10. Boot MiniPasta, hold your MenuHax key to make sure it loops back into it, then boot SafeA9LHInstaller (since I'm using BootCTR, I put them on A and right, respectively), and hit select.
    11. OPTIONAL: Now that you're in A9LH, boot Decrypt9 using your new chainloader (I have mine pre-configured before I start at this point, so, I just power the unit on while holding up).
    12. OPTIONAL: Select the SysNAND restore menu, pick the "keep a9lh" one, and restore your EmuNAND backup to SysNAND.
    13. OPTIONAL: Now back out and go to the EmuNAND restore menu, and restore your SysNAND backup to EmuNAND.
    14. re-configure your CFWs for A9LH use (updated SysNAND option in AuReiNAND, disable EmuNAND and enable protecting firms in Cakes, etc.) or not (if you've decided not to swap NANDs, nothing needs to change).
    15. Boot EmuNAND (SysNAND if you ignore the OPTIONAL steps) by holding L, hold your MenuHax key, go into the HBL, and run MenuHax Manager.
    16. Set your MenuHax trigger to type 1, and to use the L key.
    17. Configure a boot manager for MenuHax if you didn't already have one, or configure it to run GW straight, your choice (I already had BootCTR defaulted to Gateway, so I'm good to go at this point, having already done several units).
    18. Make sure your A9LH chain loader is set to boot AuReiNAND by default and doesn't use L.

Now, if you want to use your GW cart, just hold L while powering the device on until you get to the menu. Otherwise (playing a CIA or DS cart), just let AuReiNAND boot.

I'm working on pre-configured home folders that will allow you to simply follow the above list of steps. I'll probably release them on the iso site. But I'm taking my time to do this right, so that it will work for all regions of O3DS and N3DS. I'll probably have to put the MenuHax payloads in a separate folder.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  5. 2,067
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Lupin always with the multiple paragraph replies lmao. Nice job of being informative Lupin. You will do well here.

6. 69
    Jiro

Jiro Loyal Member

If you use that method, you have to boot EmuNAND and use menuhax in it. Doesn't that reduce the reliability to the reliability you'd get if you just used menuhax and EmuNAND period? That would make a9lh pointless.

7. 214
    LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

A9LH has a 100% boot rate, so, no. MenuHax is still only being run once. So, the reliability is the same. I'm not getting more YSODs than usual. Still, if you're worried, swapping NANDS is optional. Feel free to keep your SysNAND and EmuNAND where they're at and run MenuHax on SysNAND. Keep in mind it's just a temporary workaround.

Even if your assumption was correct, by no means would it make A9LH pointless. The other benefits would still easily offset such a problem.

Anyway, it's just a temporary solution until the GW A9LH payload comes out. MenuHax currently presents the earliest point in the boot process that you can launch a .3dsx file, because *hax and .3dsx require a fully booted OS. Since neither it nor GW will boot on 10.7 atm, if you want an updated SysNAND (which GW's SysNAND mode works fine with I might add), these have to run from EmuNAND. Since A9LH can boot EmuNAND slightly faster than a non-A9LH 3DS can clean boot, it's not like there's a significant performance hit. Again though, swapping NANDs isn't vital, just popular. The individual user can choose when/if they want to do it.

Just suggesting a more streamlined method for those who want to try it out now (and I've updated it now detailing what's optional, even though it was never intended as a detailed guide, just a rough outline). But it all depends on how you use your 3DS. While it won't hurt GW mode's reliability, it doesn't give it a significant boost either. If that's all you use, by all means, wait for the release.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
    Cameron likes this.
  8. 31
    Techrev

Techrev Loyal Member

What I like about the GW, mostly, is that on the new 3ds you have to take the back off the system to get to the sd card. I like having the gateway card in the front so I can pull the sd card out and add games or change to a different card for a whole other library if I want. Just my $.02. If it worked in A9LH as a cia, I would be pretty happy. For now I'm going to keep my menuhax setup with ctrbootmanager. I'm not the type to cheat in games anymore, but it is nice to know that's there. Mostly, though, I pretty much paid a lot of money to have a front SD card slot. Under those circumstances, I am very eager to be able to use that front SD card slot with A9LH, since I find the normal menuhax boot to be extremely annoying.

9. 111
    drake008@

[email protected] Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    Can someone explain to me what A9LH is and for what it's for?

I have an O3DS with 4.5.0-8E and an emunand of 10.6.0-31E

Do I have any positive effects?

10. 55
    alatnet

alatnet Loyal Member

A9LH - Arm 9 Loader Hack.
    In a nutshell, it's like the wii's bootmii.
    To put it simply, on a pc you go from bios/uefi to your os. What A9LH does is that it goes inbetween the bios/uefi and the os and lets you do fancy shit.

11. 31
    Techrev

Techrev Loyal Member

100% boot rate, faster boot, etc. It's even possible to not have to use emunand at all anymore if you want.

12. 111
    drake008@

[email protected] Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    Ok, thanks for the info.

13. 69
    Jiro

Jiro Loyal Member

I guess I have some questions, after reading that shorter description of how to do a9lh...
    -- Step 1: What is "NAND Devmenu"? Does that mean regular Devmenu? What things is it used to do (is it the tool you're supposed to use to backup your NANDs?), and can you use something else (such as FBI or Decrypt9)?
    -- Step 3 says "Tiny Format EmuNAND twice, configuring wifi the second time." If you Tinyformat it, does that leave behind all necessary tools, such as FBI and Tinyformat itself? Or are they deleted by the format and have to be reinstalled? The Plailect guide says to inject FBI into Health and Safety. Is that used to protect it from being uninstalled, or is it necessary for any other reason, if you have FBI installed separately already?
    -- I recall that when updating/downgrading to 9.2, there was a warning about having to use Pasta mode in rxtools, because updating from the wrong mode could cause a brick. Is this why Minipasta has to be used later on, and does this apply only to updating SysNAND (so that PlaiSysUpdater in EmuNAND can be run from any CFW?)
    -- In that connection, when you boot Minipasta, is there anything you can do to verify that you are in Minipasta? Will Safea9lhinstaller even run if you accidentally do it from your normal CFW instead? Could it cause a brick?
    -- I know that because of FIRM issues some programs cause problems when run from HBL through yellow8's homebrew loader. When you say to use HBL, is it a requirement to use HBL through Menuhax, or is yellow8's HBL (in SysNAND) okay?

14. 25,230
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    Just a short GW update:

Things are moving along nicely, with private alpha testing almost complete, and just a few tiny small compatibility issues to be resolved which the Gateway team is hard at work on solving, and then they going to be ready to move onto the next stage with the first public open-beta test, so stay tuned for amazing news that is almost upon us and will be here very SOON(tm). :)

15. 32
    diego93

diego93 Loyal Member

Really apreciate your answer, thanks for your work Garyopa.

16. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

Now that we're almost there can you give us some details of what they've been testing so we can get an idea what's going to be in the next update? Have they been working on giving us 10.3 support first? Or are they going to give us a9lh compatibility in the next update? Cheers!

17. 201
    Faolan

Faolan Loyal Member

Oh man I really hope they support a9lh first. I also hope they build payload chain loading into it somehow.

18. 214
    LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

That's already been done. Someone created a modified HBL Launcher that goes straight into GW. It works perfectly with A9LH. If you want it to do it from SysNAND, just keep it on 9.2 instead of updating it. That part IS optional. Just don't check the "updated sysnand" option, so that you hold L to boot your 9.2 SysNAND instead of your 9.2 EmuNAND (this is why the guide works whether you choose to swap NANDs or not). I just wanted something automated, so I set MenuHax to boot on L so that it matched the Aurei, er, Luma3DS hotkey for 9.2. I then hex edited BootCTR to use a different .ini file, and set it to default to GW, because I wanted something direct, but I wanted to leave my options open (I also left the HBL on B, where it was before installing A9LH, just in case I ever wanted to boot straight into it). Since I install for others, I need to keep it simple. "Just hold L" avoids confusion.

Also, there's not much need to remove the card from an N3DS. That's because wifi is MUCH faster on the N3DS. In fact, in recent tests with FBI 2, remote CIA installs are almost as fast as from the microSD card itself. Now that I know that, I'm never going to pull the card to install a CIA again. Also, there's an app version of the wifi microSD manager (which even works on the O3DS, but of course, it will be slower), so you no longer need to go in and out of System Tools to use it. Just, don't put it on EmuNAND (it will crash, for obvious reasons). So, there's not much need to remove the card from an N3DS. Just because it goes under the cover is no reason to avoid getting a big internal card. The physical inaccessibility is well compensated for. I agree that the front cart slot's convenient for flash cart use. And ROM loading is definitely much faster than installing CIAs. But I don't fully trust the header swapping process for online play, so I prefer CIAs for that. Especially anything I might want to get a 4 player game of going with my friends, since I only have 2 GW carts. And as I said, 3DSWare just seems unnatural as a ROM. Besides, most of it's small, so, it's no big deal installing it. But to each their own.

I'm referring to ApacheThunder's version of DevMenu that installs to NAND (search "that iso site" for "DevMegaPack"). Anything on NAND isn't touched by TinyFormat (it allows you to unlink and keep your DSiWare after all). Ergo, when you format the system with a NAND version of DevMenu installed, it stays there, and you can just reinstall TinyFormat, run it again, and then install PlaiSysUpdater. I do this in place of injecting FBI because DevMenu can init the database for you. No need to enter the eShop, create zero byte files and go into Data Management, etc.

If you prefer, you could just inject DevMenu (I'd use 6.2, not 2.x) or BBM to H&S. That will work too. I just prefer not to mess with the original system files. Installing it as an app just seems safer, less confusing, and harder to detect.

Indeed, if you update from 4.5 with GW mode, or any NATIVE_FIRM other than the one that matches your SysNAND version launched, you will brick SysNAND. GW mode especially though, because it prevents the FIRM partitions from being updated. But that makes it good to go for A9LH, since that's something you want in an A9LH-compatible CFW. You could actually use any CFW that's set to boot the SysNAND's actual NATIVE_FIRM and isn't configured to block firm updates, including Cakes (with the right firmware.bin) and Luma3DS, but to avoid confusion that could lead to bricking, most people use rxTools in Pasta mode in their update guides. I'd recommend updating from 4.5 with LauncherPasta instead of rxTools myself. Equally foolproof, and just one file to delete when you're done.

I just use MiniPasta for SafeA9LHInstaller because it's what the original guide used. Besides, it's got no configuration options, so it keeps things simple. Anything that can boot SysNAND with signature checks patched and FIRM updates not blocked should work though. Since GW mode blocks FIRM updates, it would probably refuse to install in GW SysNAND mode.

It's pretty easy to know you are in MiniPasta -- it won't reboot your system automatically on a crash. If you can get MenuHax to load that second time, it is running. If you have to fall back on running HBL launcher from the home menu, well, if it runs, signature checks must be patched, so MiniPasta must be running. Also, I'm pretty sure it's called SafeA9LHInstaller because it has checks to make sure it's going to work before installing.

I've run the SafeA9LHInstaller from the HBL loader because the chain loading of MenuHax I describe kept crashing on one system. It worked. Since most of the crashing seemed to be caused by running HBL, I then put SafeA9LHInstaller as the dpad right hotkey in BootCTR, and MiniPasta on A. Tends to work more reliably (though I did encounter one SDXC card that did not like running CFWs from BootCTR, no such issues with apps, but CFW black screened unless I reinstalled MenuHax first every time, so I had to use HBL to run MiniPasta, but the hotkey for the installer worked, and there were no more issues once A9LH was installed).

Well, that's good to know. Hopefully the CIA launcher and MenuHax methods will both be obsolete in a few days. Thanks for the information. It's just good to know progress is being made (they really should update their page more).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2016
  19. 31
    Techrev

Techrev Loyal Member

Very nice reply. I would like, though, to be able to run GW from cfw. I want to be running 10.7 cfw, with A9LH, and be able to run GW. The other options don't really interest me. If that's possible, I'm happy.

I like my setup right now, otherwise I'd be trying to send my GW cards (2 of them) back, since I just bought them a couple weeks ago. Stupid, I know, but I consider it to be my fault since I didn't do the proper research. In fact the way I found out I made a mistake was that I was running 9.5 on a new 3DS and I had to do a softmod just to be able to use my GW. This, of course, made it so I didn't even need the GW. Except for that front SD card slot. I have a bunch of 32gb SD cards. I figure it wouldn't be a horrible thing to be able to change them out with different games on each :/.

I haven't looked, but can the 3DS mount SMB shares? It would be kind of nice to be able to install CIAs directly from my NAS. *edit* The way I found that I can do this works a bit differently than I'd like, but it's not bad. I have to set my 3DS up to share it's SD card, then connect to that on my PC, then I can copy files to and from the 3DS SD card over the network. Not perfect, but it will do. The only thing left is being able to run GW from CFW.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2016
  20. 2
    eui30

eui30 Loyal Member

Could anyone confirm if this new update will allow a Korean 3ds with Firmware 9.9 to be able to be hacked. Currently I can't use any other method as the Korean 3ds cant support homebrews. If anyone can confirm or know a way to hack it in the current state I would be very grateful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.