hit tracker

GATEWAY Releases ULTRA 3.0.3 Public BETA

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by lemanuel, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

I couldn't care less what it is. I'm neither american or british. I was simply editing the word without censoring it or deleting the post ;)

2. 53
    John Silva

John Silva Loyal Member

Owner/Photographer, Specialize in all kinds of equ
    How's about s#!t? Better? lol

3. 3,760
    lemanuel

I personally have no problems like that. lol

In any case, the off-topic ends here ;) this one at least

4. 689
    ksp

ksp Loyal Member

Ummm....no.

5. 88
    Mehrtellica

Mehrtellica Loyal Member

Doesn't everybody know it gets released tomorrow on Australia Day lol. Would be nice but don't think so

------------------
    If I want to play online is it better to convert the 3ds files to cia or just rename them 3dz? I'll be using N3DS so is it even possible to use cia files on 9.0 firmware?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  6. 176
    Shamier

Shamier Loyal Member

Honestly, using the red cart with .3ds and .3dz is much better for me.
    The red cart is portable and doesn't need the roms to be installed on ur system.

Using a rom with a header and renaming the extension to .3dz is easy.
    Less work, less worries.

Just make sure to treat the red cart delicately and don't make it overheat.

7. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

I don't think so either. They are just not ready yet, like they weren't for the 9.x exploit three months ago.

It would really be a surprise to see N3DS with 9.3+ for first batch anyway (if they were to update them manually, they would definitively have updated the Ambassador ones, as it got produced at a really low number of units).

8. 216
    LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

I do it anyway because I have multiple systems, I've got NAND dumps made in case something goes wrong, and I'm not afraid of a simple 4 wire soldering job. That said, the only time I ran into trouble was when I went looking for it.

Well, the downgrader itself has a perfectly clean record here -- successes 5, bricks 0. However, I could complain about the restore feature, because apparently it could use some more validity checks. It's perfectly safe as long as you're restoring a launcher-made NAND dump. But as many examples as the EmuNAND Tool release page makes about flashing an EmuNAND dump to SysNAND, and with most of us under the impression that an EmuNAND backup is a valid dump (and if you create it before updating EmuNAND, it is, but updating it apparently corrupts it, or used to anyway), people are going to try it. Granted, at no time did Gateway say you could use it for this purpose, but based on the information available, it seemed perfectly safe. I'm probably not the first person to make that mistake, and I probably won't be the last, either. Now, urherenow tried it and it didn't brick, but it did reveal something else -- versions higher than 9.2 can be restored with it.

Sure, if you only use it as explicitly described on the Gateway page, it's pretty safe. But be wary of any implied uses of this feature, because for the time being, the proverbial safety is off the proverbial gun.

9. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Oh I'm not talking about people like you who fully understand the situation and accept it for exactly what it is. And the downgrade itself is inherently really pretty safe. I'm just talking about the people who see it say on the site to not downgrade without a hardmod (GW takes no chances, they just simply say don't do it without a hardmod to cover their rears here) and people still have done it and actually complained that it was Gateway's fault they bricked their systems when they completely screwed up (such as a different region downgrade or something.)

10. 123
    Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder Loyal Member

Professionaly Unemployed. :P
    Home Page:
    http://www.mariopc.co.nr
    On the N3DS I can see why not. But given the recent release of Ninjhax source code and the fact that you can still use the web browser exploit to inject code (pokemon in this case) into a game while it's running seems to make 9.3+ support as their surprise feature a definite possibility with the original 3DS/3DS XLs.

The Pokemon injector tool that works from the web browser exploit DOES work on 9.4 and I have a friend on Skype who confirmed it as I was showing him how to do it. So it's not out of the question they could simply dig a little more to find a replacement to the patch Nintendo made to one/two of the stages in the ROP chain for gaining access to Arm11. The Arm9 exploit isn't patched yet from what I've heard. So it's just a matter of finding anther way of hijacking Arm11 and once you do, you can exploit the Arm9 the same way because that end of things will not have changed in 9.3/9.4 ;)

11. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Unfortunately no. :-( At least, these things don't mean that. Firstly the injection on 9.3/9.4 just uses one of the unpatched exploits, but what Ninjhax needs is still patched with 9.3. Secondly and more importantly, as far as GW (and anything else trying to enable advanced hacks such as a CFW installer or whatever if such a thing were to ever come -- I can wish can't I?) is concerned, the exploit they need to get kernel-level access is patched with 9.3 and gone. The remaining hacks are "user-land" (why we don't just call it user level and root level I don't know) and won't work for stuff like Gateway. The region free trick is more just a trick than anything else (unless I miss my guess, you're basically just running the cartridge through the download play app since it is the current region and the exploit then just runs the cartridge from there. Thus the system thinks it's running something from the same region.) The only way Gateway could work with what it needs on > 9.2 is if they're sitting on another exploit that works on newer firmwares still. But then if so they might quietly sit on it for some time yet since coverage of up to 9.2 should hold people a while and waiting for some time on a new exploit could mean enabling access to a lot of later systems in the future. (Aka they wouldn't be releasing it any time soon because it's not in their best interests to.)

One thing I'm wondering though is if the N3DS might actually have its own exploit. Something in the changes necessary to its own different firmware compared to the "old 3DS" and maybe 2DS as well perhaps has an exploit in it. It would be simply amazing if Gateway just happens to know this though. More likely it's just the QR code MiiMaker exploit that was posted prematurely which may well exist on both, but be more troublesome to make work (my biggest worry there is maybe it needs to talk to Nintendo, which would mean they could shut it down very quickly once it's known...)

12. 33
    2skies

2skies Loyal Member

"The way she goes, boys. Some days she goes, some days she doesn't. She didn't go. Way she goes."

B7FA6WT.jpg

Malala likes this.
  13. 176
    Shamier

Shamier Loyal Member

People, i'm 100% sure that Gateway has N3DS support fully working on 9.0 - 9.2 already.
    The 30 november video on their website is very clear about it.

Everything works: red card, cia's.

The only thing is that they don't want to release it before the official release of the N3DS in Europe and America.
    And the reason for that is that they don't want to show Nintendo already how they did it!

Think about it people... Nintendo will be able to make last minute changes to future firmwares closing the exploit that Gateway has used.

Why risk it? Nintendo is 1 step behind Gateway and they want to keep it like that.
    Bringing the N3DS support out now before the official western releases could be dangerous.

Believe me... Gateway does this in our best intererest.
    They're making sure for our whining asses that it will work like promised.

Gateway is making sure that we can use 9.4 emunand to quickly download all our game updates required for online play before Nintendo has the chance to introduce 9.5.

Have you guys ever thought about a 9.5 firmware (emunand) that will not work, no e-shop, just because Gateway released their N3DS support too early?

Nintendo isn't stupid. An early Gateway release before february 13th will surely mean an incrackable 9.5 emunand that's not gonna work. At least that's what Gateway is trying to prevent right now.

It finally all makes sense to me..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  14. 3,760
    lemanuel

the video they showed back then means nothing tho. that has been discussed plenty already

15. 106
    liomajor

liomajor Loyal Member

Hmm its going to be "gw soon" then.

16. 3,760
    lemanuel

Gary said he would post some news and he did. He never said the news would be about GW xD

Anyway guys.. how are you all doing?

17. 45
    Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut Loyal Member

Nintendo is not going to unbox tens, even hundreds of thousands of new 3DS's two weeks before launch. The 9.3/9.4 firmwares are already out, Nintendo had more than a month's time to install those firmwares on their consoles, but they didn't (or at least this is what everybody is saying). So why would they do it now? They already know that GW will support N3DS.

18. 176
    Shamier

Shamier Loyal Member

So you call Gateway liars for showing that N3DS support on a 9.2 device is finished?
    Wonder why it means nothing..

Was it all a joke then? Surely not man.. Use your common sense.
    That was a plain demonstration of how it works.

Ooh geez.. Please read my post again.
    I'm not talking about sysnand updates on the shipped N3DS by Nintendo!

I was talking about a new firmware version that has to be downloaded ourselves. And which we are forced to use as emunand if Nintendo wants that. They decide what the latest firmware will be.

So once again: Gateway is making sure that everything goes according to plan. That can only be done for a 100% sure if they wait till february 13th

Just read my previous post again I know it was a lot.
    Gateway doesn't wanna risk doing something stupid and not want to give Nintendo time and space to work on a nasty 9.5 update which we have to manually update.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  19. 3,760
    lemanuel

c'mon shamier I know you can understand what I said better than that.

what I meant is that just because a very simple and basic video is shown, it does not mean the product is fully finished or working properly.

as for the next firmware update, emunand always or almost always gets blocked by Nintendo. and then gateway fixes it again afterwards. it has always been like that so that's not the problem

20. 176
    Shamier

Shamier Loyal Member

I know what you mean Lemanuel, not trying to mock you or anything.
    That's exactly where we differ in our views.

About emunand: jusy my concerns.. Thinking ahead. Wondering why Gateway does things like they do. To make it easier for us in the beginning. 9.4 emunand means quickly downloading all the game updates. A possible 9.5 will be problematic on february 13th.

You believe it's an innocent video and I see it as proof of a full working concept.
    We both understand each other but just differ in how we see this.

There's nothing wrong with that.
    Let's hope i'm right about the 13 february story.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.