hit tracker

GATEWAY Releases ULTRA 3.1.0 with New 3DS Support

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by GaryOPA, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 29
    VeryCrushed

VeryCrushed Loyal Member

Because the group at GBATemp seems useless to see/test this. Could anyone confirm if this works?

Use DSSaveManager on a DS Lite to get the Ocarina of Time restored onto the cart?

I would see for myself but do not have a DS Lite charger to use at the moment.

2. 108
    ScarletKohaku

ScarletKohaku Loyal Member

Call me stupid if I've missed something here, but how would you get a 3DS cart into a DS Lite in the first place..?

3. 29
    VeryCrushed

VeryCrushed Loyal Member

You trim off the nub or put the carts board in a ds cart casing. The actual board doesnt extend into the nub.

4. 108
    ScarletKohaku

ScarletKohaku Loyal Member

Ahh, fair enough. Your problem would be in finding somebody wanting to trim their cart :') Best of luck to you though!

5. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Send me one. I'll trim it and pop it right into my NDS Lite complete with Supercard DSTWO for testing, then go have fun on my N3DS.

6. 29
    VeryCrushed

VeryCrushed Loyal Member

Well i found a charger, and i ran through it all with the Gateway Blue cart. Only thing is i have yet to see my cart in any list as working, and i could not get it to start. Just a corrupted save message. So i submitted a save ripped with DSM to the one thread on GBATemp. Crossing my fingers.

7. 641
    urherenow

urherenow Loyal Member

ATTENTION: Do not attempt system transfer to emunand while unlinked. I am currently getting error code: 028-3220 on the last step. Currently copying emunand folder to my sysnand folder (it tries the same thing every time I go back to emunand). Might be screwed since sysnand is 9.0...

will report back.

First try copying the folders over didn't do the trick... have to go to work...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  8. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

I would have done the system transfer with a linked emunand, then unlinked it, but that's just my opinion.

9. 1,642
    makikatze

makikatze Gateway Kitty [MOD] Loyal Member

A free cat
    It works this way.

1. I copied all files from the FAT32 partition from windows to a temp directory.
    2. Booted up a virtual live linux (via VMWare Player because it can connect the SD card reader to the virtual machine)
    3. copied the according sectors from the small card (a 8GB in my case) via "dd if=/dev/sdd of=/mnt/tmp/dd.out bs=512 skip=1 count=???" (took about 10 minutes with 5MB/s, I cannot remember the exact count of blocks anymore)
    4. Inserted new 32 GB mSD card and copied over via "dd if=/mnt/tmp/dd.out of=/mnt/sdd bs=512 seek=1" (took about 1 hour with about 500KB/s)
    5. Started fdisk and deleted every partition (was only one partition)
    6. Created new partition with fdisk with the previous start block+1 (for security) and changed its system type to W95 FAT32 (LBA) (hex code c)
    7. Formatted via mkfs.vfat, but I also had to reformat the partition in Windows, which was no problem
    8. Copied back the previous FAT32 partition files from the temp directory of step 1.

=> Still everything there, emuNAND working

NOTE: The commands were suitable for my setup. The paths like "/dev/sdd" for the SD card will differ on your setup for sure! Don't blame me for a copy and paste of my commands!

I formatted emuNAND on the 8GB microSD because every microSD with a maximum capacity of 8GB shows GW3D in front of the system version in emuNAND, so I was sure that I updated emuNAND to 9.5.0-23E. After that, I followed the above mentioned procedure to copy over the emuNAND to the bigger microSD.

The problem is, with the bigger microSD, it now does NOT show GW3D anymore in front of it. I can only see the difference of the two systems because my emuNAND is 9.5.0-23E and the sysNAND is 9.0.0-20E.

It does not solve the display problem (that seems to need a fix of the Launcher.dat), but it works for copying over the emuNAND completely to a new SD.

EDIT: Completely forgot this... Thanks to Nazosan for this great straightforward solution. Worked like a charm without any problem (if you already know how to deal with Linux and its shell, you can do it without problems)

10. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

This is why you need to use a count to limit how much it actually copies to just get the emuNAND or at least very little past it. Otherwise, as you see, you'll get ridiculously bad speeds (and a lot of wear on the drive being written to as well I imagine.) Actually, I'm wondering if it might be safe to copy the MBR. Just since people were reporting having a lot of troubles fixing the filesystem after doing a disk image and this is basically a disk image I assumed it would have the same troubles. I have a simple idea though. Just image the MBR of the card you're copying to first, then you can just use a block size of 32768 (and just add one more block to the 1.5GiB to get the tail end of the data.) Then you can just dd the backup MBR back on and voila. So basically "dd if=/dev/sdb of=./emunand.bin bs=32768 count=49153" would be 1.5GiB plus one block extra. This would yield maximum performance on most SD cards.

11. 1,642
    makikatze

A free cat
    Yes, without count it would have taken about 40 minutes to read and 4 hours to write to the other card. The emuNAND partition is exactly 2 Gigabytes (they do the same thing again as with the old nand, giving it more space than really needed, maybe compatibility).
    count=4194304 bs=512 skip=1 were the settings needed (I used count=4194305 bs=512 skip=1 for security)

Of course I could have read everything including MBR with a higher blocksize (4KB or 32KB) as we overwrite the MBR via fdisk to create our new partition. It shouldn't make any difference

12. 394
    kazul

kazul Loyal Member

(ret) Army
    I'm not sure if this has been asked yet and this is a wild shot in the dark....

Can the Sky3DS be used to launch the gateway menu using the zelda save exploit to be able to swap to the red card and use gateway like normal? I only ask this question out of desperation haha. I found out a bit late about the news and all Ocarina of time games are GONE around me and of course overpriced online.

Also is there a chance anyone knows if Cubic Ninja for sure has an exploit that will be used for the N3DS to access gateway? I saw mention of this as well but it looks like a gray area.

13. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Block size makes a huge difference with flash RAM. The reason being they have "erase boundaries." Any writes within said boundaries essentially require that entire block to be rewritten. When it isn't 32KiB, it's usually some division of it like 8KiB or whatever even and 32KiB isn't big, so a block size of 32KiB is a pretty safe thing to use. Of course, the trick is then you can't skip less than the block size you're working with, hence my suggestion of another way around it that should yield maximum performance. Just backup the first 512 for the MBR on the new card (bs=512 count=1 is fine or the other way around, very little difference for such a small amount), transfer over whatever amount it needs with a large block size, and you're done in probably a lot less time. You can test this yourself really. Just dd to some card with different block sizes and look at the results for yourself. If 32KiB isn't the best, it should at least be way up there near the top of the speed results.

Anyway, I'm not saying start over as the final result is the same, only the process to get there differs mainly just in the time it takes (though, as I said, it is more wear on the flash memory technically -- but then not enough to truly matter unless you do this a lot.) That's just me saying this should work better for anyone wanting to do this.

14. 1,642
    makikatze

A free cat
    I totally agree with that :)

The blocksize makes a difference in wear and speed through read/write for the cards. But it was faster than I at first expected. Under 2 hours is ok for setting up a flashcart on a complete new system the first time, at least in my opinion.
    You should get normal read and write speeds you also get when copying files or using Win32DiskImager if you increase the blocksize to a suitable size.

Most flashcards have boundaries of 32KB by the way, the bigger ones (usually only 128GB ones, but could occur on 64GB ones too) usually use 128KB as erase boundaries (I read a bit about mSD cards because I set up multiple of them for my new Raspberry Pi 2).

But I'm going to sleep for today, the N3DS also works tomorrow with the exploit. It's getting late here ;)
    Thanks again for the thought about dd, Nazosan ^^

15. 47
    katz

katz Loyal Member

16. 243
    Smoker1

Smoker1 Loyal Member

I am wondering something: For those with both Sky3DS and GW, would it be possible, to load the GW Save into OoT, load it in Sky3DS, and run it that way?
    With Gateway:
    Restore the Save into the Game.
    Backup the Game with the Save in the .3ds Rom

Sky3DS:
    Write the Game onto the Card
    Load up the Game and run the Exploit

Is this possible???

17. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Not with the save Gateway provided. Try this with your fingers crossed while pressing each button: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-the-oot-exploit-with-your-sky3ds.383581/ If it doesn't work it's because your fingers slightly uncrossed for a moment.

18. 243
    Smoker1

Smoker1 Loyal Member

The EU is not available yet. Only one I can use.
    Just rechecked on Ebay, and the only 2 Copies I can find are $63 and another one for around $100. Guess my Gateway will not be used for a while until Gateway can see if they can get the Cubic Ninja done.
    When I saw the Update, I was excited as all hell. Then I read into it, and yeah......... :'(

19. 134
    Ashee

Ashee Loyal Member

Well seeing that OoT is sold out/impossible to find at reasonable price(not that i care... i don't have a N3DS), and the same is going to happen to Cubic Ninja when GW release the exploit..... I think the next step is making(not that is going to be easy) an exploit like in O3DS(perfil, best case, or browser) because if in the future, me or somebody, get a N3DS i don't think i'm going to use a GW(even if i own one) because i will need the game that is going to be impossible to find...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  20. 62
    terids

terids Loyal Member

Smoker1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.