hit tracker

GATEWAY ULTRA 3.0.1 Public BETA and DGPacks

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by GaryOPA, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 464
    DjoeN

DjoeN Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://users.skynet.be/DuNe
    therefor i try to dump my own games that require online play! those you can just rename to .3dz cause the headers is in your own dumps :)

2. 47
    Jirachi

Jirachi Loyal Member

Thanks all. I still don't know what dummies are though. And how do I convert a 3ds file to a cia file?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  3. 603
    quacktony

quacktony Loyal Member

What firmware do you want to downgrade to from 3.x?

4. 908
    guymelef

guymelef Loyal Member

I should have said Ultra and not 3.x. All this numbers are confusing some members.

5. 603
    quacktony

quacktony Loyal Member

Warning signs need to be put up for N3DS and 2DS users to not use these downgrades or else bricked. If no warning signs are up people are going to start pointing fingers and thats something I hate because its common sense that if the downgrade was meant for the 3ds/3dsxl but it wasn't specified for the n3ds/2ds than you should not attempt it.

More like "Waiting for a stable release of GW firmware update to downgrade would be very prudent as well"

But then again the warning signs are always there, to proceed with caution.

knowplay likes this.
  6. 689
    ksp

ksp Loyal Member

No need, N3DS cannot even boot into GW menu, never mind downgrade, and if you try to downgrade a 2DS GW blocks you from down doing it.

7. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

Dummy in this case is fake connections. Just set up connection with wrong password or something so that they can't connect.

And to convert .3ds into .cia, you can use this (for 4.x users only): http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/285574-3DS-To-CIA-Converter
    You can also get the CIA games online tho. I would recommend that since most people don't know how to convert and even when explained, they still don't get it.

8. 603
    quacktony

quacktony Loyal Member

So its confirmed that the person claiming he had downgraded his N3DSLL to 4.5 was a idiotic troll?

9. 3,760
    lemanuel

Well... regardless of being true or not, we already know he wasn't smart. We only need to know if he was a troll. ;)

But most likely yes. Unfortunately there's too much rumous and real information spread all over the place so we can't know for sure if for some reason a specific N3DS can do it.

10. 216
    LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

Actually, the downgrader itself is pretty safe. I've done it 3 times on a my Zelda unit. Went back to 9.2 a couple of times to test some things. I also did it to a black unit on 6.2. Now, what might be a bit more dangerous is the restore option. You might want to watch what you use with it. It will not let you use a NAND dump from a different console (confirmed by others, not something I would have tried to begin with), but EmuNANDs are valid NAND dumps. If the console's never actually been on 9.2, and you rename an EmuNAND trying to get it there, it will apparently brick the device (that comes as a shock, oh well, time to get out the soldering iron, this will be fun, haven't had much need for it with all these soft mods and solderless ODDEs).

11. 603
    quacktony

quacktony Loyal Member

You, sir, are definitely one with the force

12. 641
    urherenow

urherenow Loyal Member

MY bad then... maybe I was remembering something about the emunand partition. Something about the first sector and the MBR for the FAT32 partition...

Depends on your particular model. Just google 3DS nand dump or 3DSXL nand dump. I just found the correct pictures of my mainboard with labeled solder points, and a picture of a microsd>SD adapter with the corresponding pins labeled.

Absolutely! Again, if you unlinked your sys/emunand, you will have 2 folders with long names inside of the first one (which is under the "Nintendo 3DS" folder. The contents are everything you see on your home screen, plus a bunch of extra data stuff (saves for streetpass games, downloaded themes, etc...) are within those folders. Only touch what is inside of them; do not move or rename those folders themselves. If the system you are using doesn't see the folder it's looking for, it will just create a new one (with the same name). If you format the system, it will create one with a different name.

This happened to me during my first downgrade attempt and I was convinced I had to re-download everything from the e-shop, which I did... until I discovered that all of my progress was gone in my streetpass games. I wasn't going to live with that so I sat down and figured it out. All of my files and progress are restored and working perfectly. All I did was move all of the contents from my initial SD card backup (not a .bin, but a copy+paste onto my HDD) into that new folder.

And think about this for one minute: If keys were per-profile, they would have to be stored on the SD card! There would have been a tool made ages ago for extracting said keys. 100% guaranteed. There is difinitely a per-console key, and it is not contained within the sysnand (if it was, there would be no issues with flashing someone else's nand dump).

A more thorough explanation on the crypto on this post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-hack-we-hacked-it.339271/page-87#post-4509215

LupinIII likes this.
  13. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Speaking of the emuNAND, what's the best way to back it up in case anything happens to the memory card? I'm thinking I may have to just dd it, but it's kind of a pain because I guess I have to offset it by the MBR (wasn't that 512 bytes?) and then I think it's exactly 1GB from there. It would be kind of handy if there were a tool already available specifically designed to handle the emuNAND.

I'm kind of curious why it didn't make an entry in the partition table for the emuNAND partition. If my guess is correct, can I not just add an entry that starts from zero and goes up to the beginning of the FAT32 partition and just mark it as RAW or something to make it simpler to deal with, or will this mess anything up?

14. 3,760
    lemanuel

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...e-of-Emunand-when-upgrading-replacing-SD-card

15. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Rofl, how did I miss that? Well, anyway, thanks.

I guess it's worth noting that it may be possible with this to create an emuNAND on a new card without even having to format. It looks like it's just a matter of adding exactly 1GiB (2^30) to the partition start boundary (that's 2097152 "sectors" assuming the default 512 bytes per sector.) I'm still thinking maybe making an exactly 1GiB partition (marked as RAW or something) might be sufficient to make it easier to deal with, but wonder if anyone has actually messed with this? Maybe with this I can try later, but now I have a lot of data on my card to backup.

16. 216
    LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

Well, I just formatted EmuNAND, dumped NAND, powered down, and ejected the card on one I'm about to downgrade (already backed up the card when I copied the launcher over). Extracted the EmuNAND and copied the NAND over, then did an fc/b again to test. "No differences encountered" this time. That settles it, EmuNAND Tool's dumps are 1:1 valid NAND dumps. So, maybe the tool auto-corrects, and what you mentioned is what happens if you dd the partition from Linux. The restore feature does check the NAND it's about to write, because I read a post where someone tried going system to system and got an error.

Maybe my mistake was going into Gateway mode then backing out through the System Settings instead of simply powering down. I realize it seems unlikely, but the only thing left I can think of would be that the system blacklists deleted profiles (maybe to prevent someone from re-flashing an old NAND after doing a system transfer). Maybe my luck just sucks.

Anyone with a hard mod want to try renaming a 9.2 EmuNAND backup made with EmuNAND Tool to NAND.BIN and restore it to SysNAND (going from 4.5 and preferably on an unlinked system), so we can find out if this experiment is repeatable? It just seems like this should have worked, given what we know. So, maybe I was just unlucky.

Forgot to mention it's an XL (fortunately, should give me some breathing room, not that I probably need it given all the mod chips I've installed). Well, I'll look it up. Thanks for the information.

17. 3,760
    lemanuel

LupinIII likes this.
  18. 500
    RazorX2014

RazorX2014 Loyal Member

Computer/Console Repair
    will there ever be a time when there isnt constant drama over the gateway-3ds lol

19. 689
    ksp

ksp Loyal Member

Yes, you can restore an emunand backup via a hardmod to sysnand.

20. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

In a few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.