hit tracker

'GBA4iOS' Game Boy Emulator Shut Down

Discussion in 'Mobile Jailbreak Scene' started by GaryOPA, May 15, 2014.

By GaryOPA on May 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM
  1. 25,427
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    After Nintendo Files DMCA Notice

GBA4iOS, the popular Game Boy emulator for iOS, has been removed by its creator Riley Testut on GitHub after Nintendo filed a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown request.

[​IMG]

Yet another emulator bites the dust, thanks to the big 'N' and their office of always on call lawyers ready to stamp out anything that might take away from selling 25 year old games on their Virtual Console for the 3DS and Wii U.

Personally, I think it was stupid idea for the author to allow finding of ROMs by the user directly via their website and the app itself.

NEWS SOURCE: 'GBA4iOS' Game Boy Emulator Shut Down After Nintendo Files DMCA Notice (via) MacRumors

Comments

Discussion in 'Mobile Jailbreak Scene' started by GaryOPA, May 15, 2014.

1. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I'm hoping the only reason for the DMCA notice was the built in linking to ROMs or maybe if it includes e.g. the GBA BIOS because emulators are otherwise legal.

That said, you should see the discussions on other sites where people are saying things like 'why would you want to emulate games on a smartphone', 'why don't you just carry the separate systems' or 'you should (re)buy the games on a Wii/Wii U/3DS (even if it's not available)'.

2. 4,415
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

On iOS I could see how crap playing emulation would be, touch screen controls for games really do suck now that I have had first hand experience... lol (I guess you could connect a gamepad up somehow?)

Over on Android almost all emulators support physical controls so things are way better there. (Love my stupid cheap handheld.)

On the main subject of emulators being legal, yeah it probably was including the BIOS or something. I don't think anyone has written a replacement one for the GBA yet? I know on the PS1 and GBC people have reversed engineered BIOS's and they lose some compatibility but it makes the emulator easier to use and more legal.

On a sort of related note, I don't really see the need to cock block emulators even if they include the BIOS files. Really the experience is never going to be exactly right and it's essentially free advertising for companies. It might hurt virtual console sales slightly but I don't think the damage is going to be very high. The people who are suckers to buy that stuff have already emulated it on 30 machines... (Like me lol)

3. 4,102
      gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
      http://techbliss.org
      This - the person responsible for porting it over to iOS was asking for trouble the moment that he was 'pushing warez noobs in the right direction' in a completely blatant way but what's even more laughable is the fact that there are some cretinous people who think that there are zero legal consequences if the emulator developer provides immediate access to warez sites even though that is NOT THE CASE, as shown below:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

...and now I just got a migraine after having read stupid posts from said dumbasses, which then leads me to this picture:

[​IMG]

JonathanD likes this.