hit tracker

Geohot wants to return to the 'Scene'

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by GaryOPA, May 17, 2012.

By GaryOPA on May 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM
  1. 25,401
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    With a new 'haircut', 'Facebook' as past history, 'Geohot' looks to the future, and gives an interview with 'Wired'

[​IMG]

It seems 'Geohot' is missing the drama of the 'scene' after being banned from touching a Sony product again,
    but the world-famous hacker sees hope of his great return due the on-going DMCA Jailbreaking deliberations!

As most of you know by now, 'Geohot' is famous for being the first 'iPhone' Jailbreaker, and then later on the 'PS3' Jailbreaker, only to stop his warpath against evil corp. after being forced to settle out of court with Sony, and part of that large still sealed agreement with them was to never touch a Sony product again, but he thinks there might be a way out for him to be able to return to the 'scene' with all its drama and problems, as remember he donated the remaining funds from his 'defense fund' to EFF and they are now busy fighting the big lobby groups this year in regard to DMCA exceptions that currently are under review, which for now only allow iPhone Jailbreak'ing but not 'Video Gaming Consoles', so being fresh out of a job after quitting Facebook, and sporting a new 'hairdo', Mr. George Hotz, (aka) Geohot, has given a recent interview with the Wired mag, where he stated:

he's awaiting for a decision by federal copyright regulators that, for the first time ever, could legalize videogame-console jailbreaking...

As you may know, copyright regulators decreed that it was finally legal to “jailbreak” smartphones so, iPhone users can now install apps that Apple didn’t approve.

However, under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, it’s still unlawful to hack a gaming console or a tablet like the iPad.

That might soon change under proposed exemptions offered by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

So, what do you think?

You can check the full article below!

NEWS SOURCE: DMCA Jailbreak Exemptions (via) Wired

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for writing up this news summary!

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by GaryOPA, May 17, 2012.

1. 4,102
      gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
      http://techbliss.org
      PMSL - agreed brakk3n! :p

You could also say the same for showbusiness - e.g. Brad Pitt gets laid (to Angelina Joile) < like I wanna know that PMSL!

2. 777
      TomatOsaUce

TomatOsaUce Ex-Convict Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://exconvict.org
      Oh god, this place is still full of what could only be described as "the bad outcome of a good fuck".

Dissing brakk3n is like... ehhh I dunno what it's like.. it's just dumb and uneducated.

However dissing Prea is fun and the smartest move you could make, I mean come on.. Sony would not outsource to hackers to get the job done properly?
      Ofcourse they wouldnt would they.. Thats just unheard of and just goes to show how much you really know about the inner workings of a multi-national company.
      I'm not saying Geo did or didn't take sides with them.. that could have been part of his settlement not to get his arse thrown in jail

He didn't owe you jack shit if you donated money to him though, it was a donation. I donate to cancer foundations etc. It does not then mean that they are OBLIGATED to find a cure. If they do then thats great, if they got to a point where they knew they were not going to win and they bowed out but donated their money to another great organization (as Geo did) then I still have respect for them.
      Simple fact is, you, I , brakk3n or anyone here does not know what went on in that courtroom. Going to jail and getting buttfucked by Bubba is not a price I would be willing to pay so a bunch of teenage losers can pirate teh latest isozzz.
      Maybe your self righteous arse should take Sony to court and fight for the right to jailbreak our consoles, Im sure going in there with your false sense of superiority would win the case.
      You should serve the judge one of your red texted diatribes.. Im sure that would just win everyone over
      We all know that wont happen though dont we, youre like a fucking annoying chihuahua all bark with very little bite.. go crawl back into the corner and chew your bone little doggy!

3. 438
      nextbike

nextbike Loyal Member

I did not read the argument. But I think you both are wrong.
      I secretly invented the internet so my cred. should be unquestioned.

4. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

We won't know due to the fact the settlement itself isn't handled like a normal Civil case and therefor isn't transcribed. Leading up to the agreement of the settlement might be on record, but after that the exact details are only know by Sony and Geohot. Getting a transcription would be pointless and a waste of money. I however have been informed by someone who dealt with this issue that Geohot had been helping Sony after he got busted, during the settlement and then afterwards. I believe someone I've known for over 10 years over a news article that more then likely was used to calm down the rumors in the higher cirlces of the PS3 scene. Geohot wants back in and I doubt it's because it's for fun. Stay away from him.

5. 777
      TomatOsaUce

Home Page:
      It would not surprise me in the least mate!
      There is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes and having a "double agent" is about the smartest thing Sony could do now.
      I dont have an opinion on him other than he's obviously a very smart guy.. I dont always agree with how he handles himself but I think thats becoming more of a generational thing now.

On a side note, sorry about my little outburst, I sent you an email brakk3n :)

6. 168
      Peppsi

Peppsi Loyal Member

Ok to sorta quote you, "Not a damn thing in your post has any FACTS, neither side does!"

Educating members of your views didn't go well did it?

Get my point now?

Yeah you do get sports news very vague if you'd class scores in it but hey, splitting hairs abit instead of trying to put your point across better.

Lol GDrive didn't know you read OK magazine!

7. 4,102
      gDrive

Home Page:
      PMSL no I don't read OK Magazine, but I always used to see bullshit advertisements on TV for stupid, trashy, irrelevant, useless, indoctrinating, intelligence quotient-crippling magazines that ARE NOT even worth spending a penny on, let alone fifty pence or God knows how much that glossy pieces of crap cost!

8. 571
      themuse

themuse Loyal Member

the OP says it is illegal under dmca to hack a videogame device, that is not so it is just not clear wheather it is or isnt and since the only 2 cases that i know of ,crippen v MS and geohot v sony were either dropped or settled there is not case law, no precedent that has been set,
      but if i were geohot i would just go ahead and do what i want ,and release anon, i would not hold my breath for eff to get dmca exception or clarification for game console mods ,cause i doubt the law will ever change in our favor, not the way things are going,its more likely they make cell phone mod illegal before game console mod legal

and did geohot quit FB before or after the ipo? didnt they say all the empoyees are worth millions now

conspiracies are great ,but seriously what is sony going to do with a double agent? discover that the scene is dead and nothingis going on, except for commercial purposes, which geohot would probably not really be involved in,i doubt he is going to go to TB

so it would be pointless for sony to have double agent in this scene , it would be a waste, noting is happening that is really of any concern to them ,except in the commercial end

there is no more development of anything to allow any more piracy than there is right now, or so it seems

9. 561
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

Well. It may be true that you shouldn't trust an article 100%. But you come on here doing pretty much the same thing in this post. "Believe me, I know somebody that knows somebody that worked with Geohot. I don't really have any proof other than the post below where I equate seniority with superiority."

As I was saying before. Seniority does not equal superiority. Flaunting it does you nothing except make you look bad. This ties in with the part where you attack the article's credibility with no evidence to support the attack while failing to support your credibility. In other words. Show some proof. Words mean nothing if they are pitted against words. You say you have no reason to lie. That is not proof. I am not saying you are lying, he very well could have actually helped Sony. What I am saying is though that I haven't seen enough proof to find you more credible than the article you bashed. It's just words against words as it is. Your's verses the article's.

If Sony was to send Geohot as a double agent, they wouldn't have him publicly say he was coming back. They'd have him masquerade since people don't really trust him as it is. And as themuse pointed out they would only find a barren wasteland in the ps3 scene. TB is their biggest threat from this scene and Geohot wouldn't need to join this scene to get at them.

10. 777
      TomatOsaUce

Home Page:
      Well I was more so stating a hypothetical.. no conspiracy theories.
      They've all but given up on the PS3 because of the Orbis.

They could stop TB VERY easily if they wanted to.. if a few of us dumbasses know what TB is doing then Sony would sure as hell know what theyre doing.

As for TB being the only thing happening in the scene.. it's the only thing happening if you consider this site the scene!

News sites are more so glorified advertising sites these days.

Hell this geohot article is nothing more than a traffic article.
      He wouldnt come back even if his ban was somehow lifted!
      Why would he?
      He stated he was not interested in piracy and we can brew on 3.55.
      Their may be interest in the "un-hackable" versions but I seriously doubt it

11. 4,102
      gDrive

Home Page:
      LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL stop being a weirdo PMSL! :p

Also, I'll leave this here, even though I'm already mindfucked as it is thanks to insomnia!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
    12. 1,232
      Misfit

Misfit Loyal Member

Wow, and we actually sang that in kindergarten. I've been seeing rainbows ever since!

13. 833
      master737373

master737373 Press Buttons :D Loyal Member

None
      Just to throw this in there, Sony doesn't need a double agent because nothing that happens in the scene that's worth worrying about happens privately. It's all on the web, and even if the dev's "secretly" use irc or a forum that nobody knows about, they can still get to it through google.

14. 395
      CookieMonster

CookieMonster Loyal Member

TomatOsaUce, let me get my acids, so i can re-read your posts...

hmmmm, i see flying rabbits....

15. 88
      Goku1992

Goku1992 Loyal Member

I miss Geohot hopefully he will return one day

16. 18
      KitTheo

KitTheo Loyal Member

None
      I think I know why gailbraking the cell phone and not Videoz games is ok. But then again what whould I know except alot. Late My tri beta cappa brother;s and Geo hot keep up the good press we will get the councel soon enough for all you Linux Ubez We all know that there is more then one thing to do with a councle like LinuxOS games as well I dont thing sony will be the one to get us there though do to all the junk its been through granted it all could of ben done diffrentley. Wii is out ad Xbox is done Hacked I am thinking Maby net books that are ment to be hacked into for fun like Hackboxnetbook whatz next dont know. Still confounding in all but maby well get em.

Where did the word playstation come from anyway probley katinise.

17. 1
      jonathan2340

jonathan2340 Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.leatherorbit.com/
      This guy is looking is really nice. i just want to say that this is really a wonderful information that you have posted here. Keep it up.