hit tracker

Got a WIS-009, Unknown Nintendo Video Player that only released in South Korea

Discussion in 'Wii U General Gaming Discussion' started by Irregular Resident, Oct 6, 2018.

1. 2
    Irregular Resident

Irregular Resident Loyal Member

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nintendos-unknown-device-has-approved-by-korea-rra.804120/
    https://www.maxconsole.com/threads/korea-rra-approves-the-wis-009-device.31824/

Hi, I just got the Unknown Nintendo product recently which was only released in South Korea.
    This blue box look like known as WIS-009, that approval from South Korea RRA.
    (I cannot found any information about from outside of Korea)
    It's something like a Wii U related things from what I guess. (WIS-001 => KIOSK Wii U DEMO)

https://imgur.com/a/ldGoLoW

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, It has Wii-things like power slot, and 5 USB port (2 on rear, 3 on front)
    HDMI port, VGA port, LAN port and Audio Out and with some LED / Power Button.
    And bottom shows that it was written as 'A Small Video Player (소형 동영상 재생기).' literally from translation.

I manage to get this item from used item trading, and the seller don't know how it works.
    Also don't know what is this exactly. (I don't have any cable for this item nor knowledge about this)

So If possible, I'll researching manage to get what that is, how it works and hacking...?
    if not or I couldn't, sooner or later I'll post the item on ebay.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  2. 25,251
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Moved your thread to right forum, so we can discuss it more.

First have you powered it on, and see what is displayed on the HDMI and/or VGA monitors?

Looks like it uses a normal 12volt power supply, like from Wii U system, so that should work to turn it on.

Second, have you removed the top, to see what 'chipset' is inside, the motherboard could tell you more what it is.

Third, have you checked out 'assemblergames' that forum site, loves to discuss,post,sell,buy rare items like this.

3. 2
    Irregular Resident

Irregular Resident Loyal Member

Thanks for info, I'll post that site later too.
    Additionally, Wii U use 15V 5A power supply, unlike the Wii uses 12V 4A. But this item uses 12V 1.33A (16VA).
    So I cannot use Wii U power supply nor Wii power supply. This make me quite hesitate to testing the item.
    I should use Ampere lowered-modified Wii Power Adapter or other things. Unless that, this item will be cooked if i turn on.

4. 25,251
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Use the wii power supply. Voltage is right. It is ok if the wii has more amps as the unit will only draw what it needs.

I been hunting around for more info and asked an korean friend of mine and we both think it is some sort of karaoke machine for bars etc.

Removing the top and taking a closeup of the guts inside would greatly help to narrow down more info on it.