hit tracker

[GUIDE] Downgrading your 3DS from 4.5 - 9.2 down to 4.x

Discussion in 'Useful Tools & Tutorials' started by CloudHD, Jan 10, 2015.

1. 43
    CloudHD

CloudHD Loyal Member

Since it's not very very clear on how to downgrade your 3DS System and so on, I decided a guide should be created.

How to downgrade your 3DS to 4.X

I will be using my Pokemon X and Y Red 3DS that shipped originally with 6.1.0-12U.

1. Download the Gateway Ultra 3.0.1 Update from the Downloads Section on Gateway's website.
    31jbinP.png

2. Download the gateway.dg file specific to your region (In this case my region is U since I am in the US).
    WV9BHaK.png

3. Now download the MD5 Checker via this post (posted by the mod lemanuel) so we can check the MD5 of the gateway.dg file.
    qg24vQY.png

4. Now open the MD5 Checker and Select the gateway.dg file by clicking add and navigating to where the file is located.
    xBFCvCS.png

5. After selecting the gateway.dg file and opening it, you should see the MD5 Checker display the name of the file, where it's located and the MD5. Go ahead and go to where the MD5 is and right click. Then compare MD5. You can paste in the MD5 for the gateway.dg file you downloaded from Gateway's website. If the MD5's match we can move on to the next step, if they don't I suggest making sure you downloaded the right file and re-dowloading the file it self.
    uiKcYWE.png

6. Now Backup your Nand to your Nintendo 3DS SDCard Via the Gateway launcher. You'll want to press a on "Backup System Nand" and "Start" to start the backup process. This will take about 5-15 minutes.
    mgX4AbI.jpg

5. Once you finish backing up your NAND, exit the gateway launcher and turn off your 3DS. Eject your SD Card from your 3DS. Now put your SD Card into your computer and open it up so you can view the folders and files. Make a copy your NAND.bin and put it on a safe place on your computer. Leave your original NAND.bin on there for now, we'll need it to be able to do the downgrade. Put the Launcher.dat from the Gateway Ultra 3.0.1 files on your SD Card along with the gateway.dg file.
    7zMvDB9.png

Note: The reason it shows up as Gateway EmuNand is I had formatted this SD Card for EmuNand. Doing a downgrade will not mess with your EmuNand. It also did not affect my save files.

6. Now make sure the LAUNCHER.dat, gateway.dg, and NAND.bin files are on your SD Card. Then eject it from the computer and put it back into the 3DS.

7. You will need a working internet connection set on your 3DS to do the next steps. Now boot your 3DS, open the web browser (found at the top of the bottom screen, a little blue world icon). Enter the URL go.gateway-3ds.com or prepare to open your bookmark and go to the go.gateway-3ds.com website. Turn your wireless communications on, go to the website and wait for the Gateway menu to boot. Then navigate to Downgrade Console at the end of the menu.
    8vl2zfB.jpg

8. Now press A on downgrade console and follow the instructions onscreen. I'd suggest plugging in your 3DS to avoid any type of power problems as seen in my photo above.
    View attachment 37186 View attachment 37187 View attachment 37188
    Thank You user StarKnight for providing the photos.

9. Allow Gateway program to do it's thing, this could take 5-10 minutes, maybe less. When you finish you should be taken to the shutdown screen as seen in the photo, except it'll say software has closed. From there go ahead and choose power off.
    aBmvkZH.jpg

10. Now power on your 3DS. You should be back to one row like a normal 3DS fresh out of the box. BE SURE TO TURN OFF YOUR WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS. Go ahead and head to System Settings and check your firmware.
    QeVcnvL.jpg

If you on 4.x then CONGRATULATIONS YOU DOWNGRADED YOUR NINTENDO 3DS SUCCESSFULLY!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back. If you aren't on 4.x then chances are you 3DS was probably bricked (Will boot to a black screen perhaps and not boot into the normal 3DS Menu). Here I can be of no help, sorry.

You may be wondering what's next?
    You can delete gateway.dg off you SD Card but leave the LAUNCHER.dat as you will need that.

You can follow the tutorial for installing the gateway exploit and everything at this maxconsole post.

Enjoy your newly downgraded 3DS!

EDIT: :eek:, a sticky! Thank You!

EDIT 2: If you're using the EUR gateway.dg binary blob, you SHOULD format sysnand after you've successfully downgraded. This is due to an update nag that seems to appear. YES this would unlink your sysnand from your emunand, and you may find this rather bothersome, but it should get rid of the update nag.

EDIT 3: If you need help on how to separate your sysNand from your emunand, to avoid problems with your NNIND, or to get rid of the gift unwrapping problem, check out this tutorial!
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...d-emunand-and-eshop-working-correctly.378275/

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  2. 500
    RazorX2014

RazorX2014 Loyal Member

Computer/Console Repair
    i also have a very simple md5 generator then i created for anyone who wants to use it all you do is click open browse for the file and it will generate the md5 value then you can click the value and it will copy it to your clipboard or you can just check to see if they match you can download it from my sig

3. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

Good job with the guide. I also hope you don't mind but just to help everyone (including those that like video guides better), I'll post this here too so that all the information is gathered in one place.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
    deathchamber likes this.
  4. 43
    CloudHD

CloudHD Loyal Member

Thank you! I don't mind. I would have made a video too if I had the proper equipment to record and if I hadn't already downgraded my 3DS before lol.

5. 129
    Quantumcat

Quantumcat Loyal Member

SAP developer, moonlighting as maths tutor
    After you downgrade, will the update nag go away?

6. 3,760
    lemanuel

I would recommend formatting the 3DS first in order to remove the "update nag"

Quantumcat likes this.
  7. 113
    YZ-Rum

YZ-Rum Loyal Member

I have a question, before downgrading, instead of using the GW Emunand SD Card, can I use another one and just put the files on there so I can downgrade? Or does it only need to be that card?

8. 3,760
    lemanuel

Hmm... why does that matter? downgrading will only change the sysnand anyway. Are you afraid of losing any sysnand file stored in the SD card?

9. 113
    YZ-Rum

YZ-Rum Loyal Member

No it's not that. The SD Card I used for this exploit yesterday is a 2GB. After setting it up for Emunand and downloading the game updates, I only have 400mb left. I was just wondering if I can use a different SD just to downgrade to 4.5. After that, I'll switch back the SD cards.

10. 3,760
    lemanuel

Oh... good question. Well.. can't answer that myself since I haven't tried anything yet with my own 3DS. Too busy answering questions. lol
    Not that I really need it tho since mine is already 4.5

11. 113
    YZ-Rum

YZ-Rum Loyal Member

Welp I'll test it anyway, if it works, I'll confirm it on the other thread.

12. 2
    Ninjatrombonist

Ninjatrombonist Loyal Member

Just wondering what the purpose of this is?

13. 27
    fira10

fira10 Loyal Member

Not trolling or anything, besides able to run the exploit without internet access, why would one wants to downgrade?

14. 3,760
    lemanuel

No particular reason.

15. 2
    caitsith2

caitsith2 Loyal Member

One reason, would be you would have something distinctively different to confirm whether the system is currently running from sysnand, or from emunand. Especially critical for when you go to perform the update, as you want to make sure you are updating emunand, not sysnand. :)

16. 3,760
    lemanuel

that can be done with different themes or using different folders tho.

17. 23
    PECONAUT

PECONAUT Loyal Member

is there a way to install the exploit without the blue card if i downgraded. I let my cousin borrow it and dont have it anymore

18. 84
    PancakeDeAwesom

PancakeDeAwesom Loyal Member

Could someone explain me what's the point in downgrading?
    I mean it's cool and all but unless you downgrade from 9.4 to a supported version what's the point for downgrading?
    After all Versions 4.x-9.2 work with gateway so why bother downgrading if your in this range
    Can people use this to downgrade from 9.4 tho?

19. 23
    PECONAUT

PECONAUT Loyal Member

I believe its to run the exploit without internet

20. 43
    CloudHD

CloudHD Loyal Member

It's a personal thing really. since it's a NAND file, I prefer to have the original copy rather than another copy of the original copy.