hit tracker

Heavy Rain scored as low as 40 percent, but should you care?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 27, 2010.

By Zeus on Feb 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Heavy Rain currently has a superb meta-critic review average of 88 percent. However, some websites have given the game as low as 40 percent commenting - "An interactive movie where the gameplay is as basic and two-dimensional as the story and acting." Do you think this is a 'fair' point?

There is another review which claims it simply is not good enough and scores it as a 45.

Check out all the reviews at <A href="http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/heavyrain" target="_Blank">MetaCritic.com</a>.

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 27, 2010.

1. 323
      richbambam360

richbambam360 Loyal Member

Postie
      I downloaded the demo & didnt like it,although that being said it wasnt my type of game,I guess its a love or hate game nothing in the middle,This is one reason not to buy games based on reveiews like this games is getting great reviews & other places its getting really bad reviews,Always try a demo that way at least you know if your likely to like or hate the game

2. 70
      steveone6

steveone6 Loyal Member

what's happening in the game world all these reviewers not having a clue about games ffs like modern warefsre 2 pile of crap then heavy rain is amazing I know I've just finished it nothing like it even mw2 gets blown away

3. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      Its really going to depend on the review..if its purely based on the "interactive experience" its the best ever attempted...but if its compared to real movies or books or any other type of story its such a poorly written mess it makes most Sci Fi channel originals look like oscar contenders. Bottom line is that if you can play what was advertised and promoted as a deep cerebral gaming experience without bothering to actually think about it, its great...otherwise its just going to make you laugh.

I guess my biggest problem is that it was hyped up as some kind of high art that would finally lay the argument of "can games be art" to rest...but instead of high art we got a velvet elvis painting.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
    4. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

You're comparing apples to oranges. Heavy Rain is a niche game genre. Anyone who was a fan of Quantic's previous work will enjoy Heavy Rain. If you're not into a game that's basically an interactive, choose your own adventure, then you will not like Heavy Rain. I think most people, the developers included, were expecting love it/hate it reviews.

5. 316
      nwo504

nwo504 Loyal Member

If you expected anything more from heavy rain, you are an idiot. If you didn't like Indigo you wont like Heavy Rain. :eek:

plp are tired of FPS.

6. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Tell that to the FPSs selling millions with millions playing online. Maybe you're tired of FPS games, but "people" (or plp, whatever that is) are not.

7. 588
      lostn

lostn Loyal Member

It's a polarizing game. Definitely not for everyone. If you're the kind that don't care about story and play a shooter to blow things up, but don't care about the set up or why you're doing it... then you're not going to like the game.

It's for people into story driven experiences. People will ask, but why not watch a movie instead? Because movies are 2 hours long as opposed to 9 or so, and not interactive. You've got no influence over how a movie ends or who dies. That's how HR distinguishes itself from a movie.

8. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      i enjoyed playing indigo but after playing the heavy rain demo it put me off buying it.

9. 499
      buggyglint1

buggyglint1 Loyal Member

Couldn't even finish the demo... I fell asleep. :p

10. 70
      steveone6

steveone6 Loyal Member

but most are tired if the fps shite now

11. 3,798
      iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
      for a while sony never released demos before the game launched. i wonder why? :)

im kinda glad i didn't listen to the stupid hype with this game being a 'must buy' by every sony fanboy (as usual) out there. the more i read and see of this game the less im interested in it.

hell, it interested me so little i didn't even get the demo/beta whatever it was from that one website you pick the 5things and submit for a download code.

12. 115
      ChaosKiller

ChaosKiller Loyal Member

I got the game and I really like it. I do understand why some people wouldn't like it but still, great game for me :)

13. 6,627
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

It's an opinion.

Gamecentral is actually very reliable for reviews IMO, I have been reading them on teletext for a few years now...but this has proven their most controversial since fanboys think the game should receive nothing but good reviews.

It's at times like this I like to refer to this:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVygqjyS4CA

14. 8
      blaze89

blaze89 Loyal Member

I dont know y ppl are saying this game is crap n stuff but personally i own this game and its rly awsome, the storyline is intense and the graphics are by far one of the best seen on any console. Im a big fan of FPS games aswell but i still like this game for wat is it, its a unique experience for some1 who likes to try new things. :)

15. 848
      SLAYERPSP

SLAYERPSP Loyal Member

I don't care about the story in most games. I have played all the Halo games I have no clue what the story is I listen to tv 90% of the time when im playing. I gave Heavy Rain a try I like it a lot sure its not your typical game but its still fun to see what happens sure its like a movie but I get to control it that's pretty cool. different people different taste.

16. 70
      steveone6

steveone6 Loyal Member

I agree it's amazing story 10/10 easy

17. 4,772
      whackawookie

whackawookie Loyal Member

i never play demos. They never reflect the finished product. Kind of the way a trailer hardly depicts a movie. I loved indigo and have heavy rain sitting here, waiting for my week off from class to play it. Reviews are just someones opinion and my opinions usually differ from theirs

18. 3,170
      kcvfr400

kcvfr400 Loyal Member

As a reader you would know as I do that gamescentral scores things properly so 5 is average but most of the inbox abuse is because most sites consider 6 or 7 to be average so 4 seems worse than it looks in that sense.

Also Gamescentral is big on how game have very weak stories as they are too open to have a story with depth. Which I agree with and were looking for something they would never find in heavy rain due to its split routes throughout the game.

I think too many people forgot this last week or so that the reviewer is a traditionalist and likes games to develop more strength like films deep stories and also hates for example things like custom soundtracks as it removes an element very important to the games for cheap music. So this game was a marmite moment for the reviewer.

Though some of the inbox nonsense comes probably form the digitizer days when it was 1 man band with lots of pushing a bit of controversy to stir up people. I have read from day one and find like you the reviews pretty good and unlike sites that pick holes in games and then give them 9 or 10 its very much down the line with a personal twist as they look for real innovation that most don't actually want when you read sites like this.

I haven't bought heavy rain but will when it comes sub £30 as nearly all new games do in a few weeks after release so am keen but at the right price.

19. 8
      blaze89

blaze89 Loyal Member

lol yea mate top game no matter wat anyone or any reviews say. 10/10 :D