hit tracker

Heavy Rain scored as low as 40 percent, but should you care?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 27, 2010.

By Zeus on Feb 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Heavy Rain currently has a superb meta-critic review average of 88 percent. However, some websites have given the game as low as 40 percent commenting - "An interactive movie where the gameplay is as basic and two-dimensional as the story and acting." Do you think this is a 'fair' point?

There is another review which claims it simply is not good enough and scores it as a 45.

Check out all the reviews at <A href="http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/heavyrain" target="_Blank">MetaCritic.com</a>.

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 27, 2010.

1. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

A review like this was inevitable, the fact that there have not been more shows how screwed up the whole industry is now. This is an either love it or loathe it game, and most definetly not for everyone, it's nice to see a first party game that is making an atempt to be different fromt he mainstream tho, even if it's not sonthing tha appeals to me personally.

2. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

It's not a first party game. Sony just published it. Quantic has said that the platform for their next game will be up to who's willing to publish again.

3. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Same deal, nice to see Sony were willing to take the risk with a non mainstream game even if they were just publishing it.

4. 3,209
      Trashcat

Trashcat Loyal Member

True this game is worth 40% or even less if you don't like it's plot or characters because that's what such games live and die on, the gameplay alone is worth nothing. From what I head the plot got a big hole and characters while not bad could have been better, apparently some lack believable motivation. Overall I would say 70% seems like a pretty fair if not generous score.

5. 174
      BringItSON

BringItSON BANNED FOREVER

yea its got better score than the latest halo. then again that doesnt mean much.

lol avg score is still 88 btw and ive never heard of the site that gave it low score.

6. 30
      sharkattack

sharkattack Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      reviews and meta score don't mean a bit for me, little big planet received perfect score from many professional reviewers and hailed as greatest ps3 game ever etc... tried the demo for 15-20min and I can say it is the crappiest game I ever played period. How can someone like this kind of game?

Answer: Everyone have different taste :D

7. 456
      Nomad121

Nomad121 Loyal Member

I've actually spoken with the reviewer who scored this game a 45, he mentioned the game was boring and was too full of plot holes to be considered solid enough. He also consideres a score of 45 to be an average.

Although when I questioned him as to why he found it boring and full of plot holes I found out he had failed many of the QTE therefore carving points in the story that just wouldn't make any sense, such as ignoring vital clues or making a character act out of their personalities. He also mentioned several details that made the game unrealistic such as how your character would walk in the same robotic motion despite trying find a missing child, this of course is completely not true as the game actually does make him jog and walk in an agitated fashion. Which brings to the point, did he actually even play the game or did he just make these things up.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010
    8. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

I'm sure he played the game, and just didn't like it. He's not the only one that will have an average or less than average opinion of it. And I agree with him about the missing child scene. Jason! Jason? Ugh.
      For the plot holes, maybe he can try replaying the chapters differently. Although, part of the game's charm is that there is supposed to be no wrong way to play it.

9. 644
      alkalinetrio

alkalinetrio Loyal Member

BigPond GameArena

Teletext Game Central

Do I have to say more? What a joke. This game was awesome, I actualy feel a bit bad for the shallow minded people who listen to such reviews and miss out on games like this. I play a game and make up my own mind, review scores can be pointless, especially in cases like this.

10. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Aha, I've heard the plot hole argument a few times already and didn't think about this. Really that was my main problem from what I had heard. I don't get why the dev doesn't encourage multiple playthroughs to get everything you can out of the story? It's not really a point of making right/wrong choices, but that you want to know (well I would want to know)

11. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

The game seems to be built around multiple play throughs, but Cage had some weird things to say about it. Since I haven't played the game myself, I can't say anything about the plot holes. Perhaps they plan on filling some of the holes through DLC?

12. 749
      ok123

ok123 Loyal Member

I think that it totally depends on what factors the reviewers put the most weight on. If the reviewers put a lot of weight of their personal enjoyment of the game, then i can understand why they gave it a score of 4 out of 10 if they didnt like the gameplay mechanics in Heavy Rain.

But if the reviewers gave the game a low score just because of the simple gameplay mechanics, then i personally dont think that it is a fair point. I mean, what the reviewer(s) wrote is sort of true, Heavy Rain's gameplay mechanics are fairly simple, personally i dont think it that is fair to give Heavy Rain a score of 4 out 10 because of it because Heavy Rain is a different type of game, if this is the reason why the reviewers gave Heavy Rain a relatively low score.

I can see that some people doesnt find Heavy Rain's gameplay mechanics that fun, and i respect that of course, but personally i dont think that i would have given a game a low grade because i found the gameplay mechanics boring.

Heavy Rain is trying to be a different type of game. Personally i think that Heavy Rain does a very good job on what it is trying to do.

I have tried some soccer manager game and since i have relatively low interest in soccer, and because of this, this soccer manager game wasnt too fun for me to play. But if i should have reviewed this soccer manager game, then i dont think that i would have given it a low socre just because i personally didnt find it that fun to play. I would rather have tried to see what the game offered and try to imagine how the game is for someone who have more interest in soccer in general.

I remember when IGN Australia (i think?) gave some soccer manager game a score of 2 out 10 (or something like that, the score was very low at least), and the reviewer wrote that he couldnt understand why someone would play this soccer manager game instead of play FIFA 09. I dont think that is too fair of the reviewer because that soccer manager game and FIFA 09 tries 2 different things when it comes to the gameplay. If i remember correctly, this soccer manager game review was later on removed from IGN though.

I wonder if there is something similar in this Heavy Rain review, that the reviewer(s) didnt really understand that Heavy Rain tried to be a different kind of game or if the reviewer(s) simply didnt enjoy the gameplay themself. But i have no idea, i am just wondering about it :)

But review is after all just one or several of persons' personal opinion(s), so i dont think that there exactly is any right or wrong review scores. I guess that it all depends on what the reviewer put the most weight on in a review.

Personally i really enjoyed Heavy Rain, both when it comes to the gameplay and to the story :) I have only beaten the game one time so far and i am now playing the game again to see how the story goes if i do other choices in the game compared to the choices that i did when i first played the game :) I am satisfied with that i bought Heavy Rain and i think that it is nice to see that someone is trying to make a game that is more different compared to other games in general :)

13. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Just a comment about Heavy Rain trying to be a different game. It isn't. Heavy Rain is the natural evolution of Indigo Prophecy (Quantic's last game).

14. 523
      (V)ega

(V)ega Loyal Member

+1

That's why I bought it and I love it. ;)

15. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

All their games follow a similar path, but they are all different from the norm. If we wanna be technical there hasn't been a "different game" for quite some time now; every game has a sort of been there, done that quality to them, or as you put it a natural evolution. Well that also applies to hardware (I'm looking at you wiimote), but not saying it's a bad thing. A few changes here and there make for a completely different experience, and that's enough for me.

I doubt any of us can think up a totally different type of game, or hardware than what's already out there. Anything we think up will undoubtedly be based on something we already know, and so would be a natural evolution of some other concept as well. That being the case, I don't think we can be too critical of devs.

Anywho, it's not another FPS, so that's more than enough for me to consider it different these days.

Now you wanna talk about a clone? Darksiders couldn't have ripped off God Of War gameplay any more than they did, but I gotta admit the story seems quite interesting to me, and judging from the demo the puzzles should be entertaining.

16. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

That depends on what norm you're talking about? Are you talking about the norm for interactive movies? The QTE style of Quantic's games can be seen in Shenmue. Quantic is essentially expanding on the adventure genre. Anyone who was into PC adventure games can appreciate Quantic's vision. If you think of Indigo Prophecy in the same way as Final Fantasy, you could call Heavy Rain - Indigo Prophecy 2. Just how each Final Fantasy game was usually a progression or evolution of the last game with a new cast/story, Heavy Rain is to Indigo. David Cage definitely has a flair for story telling, especially about serial killers. I just don't think the game is a "new type." We can go as far back as Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. I'm hoping that Quantic's next project won't take five years. I'm curious to see how much farther they can take their vision.

edit: About the FPS stuff. I know they're getting old and tired. I'm not arguing this. The only thing I have to say about is that it's the same as the console RPG boom. There was a point where you couldn't look in a direction and see an RPG looming in the distance. FPSs became popularized (more so than GoldenEye and Perfect Dark were able to) just last gen. We're simply experiencing the "console FPS boom." Just like it was, and still is, difficult to sift through all the RPGs to find the quality ones (other than the tried and true sources), it's the same with FPSs. I only recently played through ODST and thought it was excellent.

edit 2: I wasn't going to, but I have to talk about Darksiders. I literally just finished it (well, a few hours ago), and it was awesome. It was upsetting to see Bayonetta get a 9.5 from IGN, while Darksiders pulled a 7.8. Other than the glowing orbs, Darksiders is not like God of War. It's an amalgamation of a few games, most notably Zelda. Am I going to knock it for copying one of the greatest franchises in gaming history? No. In fact, I praise Vigil for doing it so well on their first try. So many others have tried to copy Zelda and failed miserably. The only good Zelda clone I can remember is Okami. Darksiders is a little God of War (orbs), a little portal (yes, portal), and a whole mess of Zelda. They even have a recurring theme when you solve puzzles.

17. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I bought Heavy Rain only because i got Limited Edition for 35 euro because i preordered it. I wouldnt pay full price.

18. 305
      nambit

nambit Loyal Member

Home Page:
      You've gotta be kidding me!

After reading the heading, I thought the scores would be crap. When I clicked
      on the link, I saw a crapload of 80's and 90's and had to scroll all the way to
      to near the bottom to reach the 70's and the 2 measly 40's. WTF is with the
      subject line? Should we care about 2 sites that probably based the game on
      opinion more than review?

Honestly, we've passed the age of relying on reviewers to tell us if a game is
      good or not. With all the access to videos and such online, you can get your
      own impression and tell the reviewers to stick it.

19. 260
      NaTaS666

NaTaS666 Loyal Member

Will wait till Yahtzee reviews the game.

20. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

The only thing people need to read into this is that most review sites have such ballsed up scoring these days, that it's hard to get an honest score, and those that do still rate games realistically and not artificially are usually scorned for it. The problem is these days most sites and sadly readers consider the lieks of a 70% the same as a site that still has it's integrity would classify a 40-50%, and frankly thats why I pay liitle attention to reviews these days, as for all intents and purposes they are a joke.

Forum commnets aren't much help either, on average the main people that sem to need to comment are those that like the games and so feelthe need to defend it, those who dislike it either never bought it or agree with the headline so don't feel the need to reply. Throw int he fanboys who will say they hate the game not on their system and the ones who claim anything on their system that is seen negatively must mean those views were made by fanboys of other systems, even if tey don't like they game themselves, and it's hard to get a decent vibe for a game.

I look out for sites that contain a vast number of player reviews, as they are not bound by fears of giving low scores and not getting copies of games to review, or having things like advertising pulled.