hit tracker

HELP: Using "Stargate CFW Install" on 3DS with firmware 11.8.0-41E ends up with alot of problems!

Discussion in 'Official 'Stargate 3DS' Support Forum' started by Voltron, Aug 18, 2018.

1. 8
    Voltron

Voltron Loyal Member

Updating my Old 3DS XL (with Stargate CFW installed) to the latest firmware 11.8.0-41E, stuck my console at boot time with message: "An error has occurred: Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es). Press any button to shutdown"
    The only way to boot my console is to download the latest luma3DS 9.1 (that fix 11.8 compatibility) and overwrite boot.firm inside my sdcard. But now i lost the NDS functionality of the stargate.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks

2. 25,409
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Best to check with @LupinIII - I think he is working on new 'easy cfw' packs that have all the fixes/patches applied for v11.8

3. 210
    LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

It doesn't brick the system, so you might want to change the misleading title. The files placed on your boot partition are working correctly. You are still able to boot into GodMode9 and the other included tools. The CFW on the SD card just needs to be updated if you are using 11.8. And you should not replace boot.firm. Doing that kills the chainloader. The file to replace is "b9s/payloads/Luma3DS.firm" -- that is where the primary copy of Luma3DS is located. You may want to do the same with Rei-Six until I can update it.

I have had a lot of crazy stuff going on IRL (and, like most people that have a Switch, I've been trying to archive the parts of CDN I want before they kill CDNSP like they did FreeShop using what little time I have been home this past month). I will compile the new update for all included CFWs when I can. The change is a small one, and will not be hard to backport to Legacy and Puma even. Though I also need to update the Friends patch, since that has been updated in 11.8 as well (since I decided to keep that in my builds). Nothing complicated, just need to find time to do it. I will try to get the CFWs updated as soon as I can.

4. 8
    Voltron

Voltron Loyal Member

Thanks for your reply. I confirm that replacing "b9s/payloads/Luma3DS.firm" with the new one also works and starts console normally; sorry, i can not find a way to change thread title! But now i see that the problem is bigger than expected: the DS mode of the Stargate NOT works in a clean console (also without CFW) with the 11.8 firmware! A long system message appears when entering in DS mode! Anyone has the same problem or can help? Thanks

5. 8
    Voltron

Voltron Loyal Member

Update: the DS Mode of the console was broken! Also when inserting original NDS card, this system message appears: "An error has occurred. Press and hold the POWER button to turn off the console. Restart the console and try again."
    Really frustrating! Trying also to uninstall CFW using this guide: https://3ds.hacks.guide/it_IT/uninstall-cfw but problem persists. Definitely, updating to 11.8 with Stargate and CFW Install on the system, has created so much trouble for my console!

6. 25,409
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Thread title updated for you. -- Hopefully you can figure it all out, until LupinIII updates his packs/scripts. -- I know its not easy, but the solution is there, just requires alot of reading and installing the right files.

Voltron likes this.
  7. 26
    Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine Loyal Member

There are several issues here. LupinIII's version of Luma is outdated and needs to update to Luma 9.0. Stock Luma doesn't work with the NDS mode of Starwait.
    Easy solution to this problem is just to stick with stock Luma and buy a better cart like the R4i Gold plus

8. 387
    realtimesave

realtimesave MaxConsole Product Reviewer MaxConsole News Team

This console is on life support from Nintendo anyways.

9. 8
    Voltron

Voltron Loyal Member

Thanks to all. Now the problem is that DS Mode of the console is bricked; also going in Settings > Nintendo DS Connections, the console freezes in black screen and i must long press power button and restart. I cannot use any NDS cards (system error), only 3DS cards work. This happens when installing "Easy CFW Install" on console with 11.8 firmware (happens on 2 old 3DS XL) and the problem persists also without inserting SD card and Stargate; also problem persists uninstalling CFW with the guide of 3ds.hacks.guide. Now i must find a method to restore stock firmware, because i think there is a real big problem with that package! And i hope it will be written in large letters on the download page that the package must NOT be installed on 11.8 firmware!
    Anyone know a method to restore stock firmware that works with 11.8? Thanks

10. 26
    Lilith Valentine

Your system isn't bricked and this issue doesn't exist in stock Luma3DS. The issue is related to the modified CFW that you are using.

11. 8
    Voltron

Voltron Loyal Member

Thanks Lilith. I know that my system isn't bricked, but i cannot use any DS Ware with my console. I've removed CFW with the guide of 3ds.hacks.guide, and apparently the CFW was uninstalled; but obviously the "Easy CFW Install" package make something else that corrupt my consoles with 11.8 firmware. Now I'm trying to find a way to get the console back as it was before installing the package...

12. 210
    LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

The installer simply installs B9S to the boot partitions and moves a few files on the SD card for you. It does not touch either of the TWL partitions. Maybe something in 11.8 itself is breaking DS backwards compatibility. The 11.8 update DOES patch the TWL firmware in an attempt to close some exploits apparently. It's possible that something Nintendo changed bricks DS mode. Maybe it only happens when you try to load the SG's DS menu or something though. Restoring a NAND backup should fix the issue. If you don't have a NAND backup from before updating to 11.8, there is a guide somewhere on repairing the TWL partition. Try it, and see if it fixes the problem.

It wouldn't be the first time a Nintendo FW update caused problems on it's own. The changes they made in 11.3 (and reverted in 11.4) caused major slowdown issues.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  13. 26
    Lilith Valentine

Uninstalling your CFW won't fix your issue. Your issue is completely related to the CFW you are using. The TWL from firmware was updated with 11.8 and requires you to update your CFW with the proper links to the TWL firm. The CFW for Starwait hasn't been updated for this. Personally I suggest making a thread on a site like GBATemp where members know what they are doing

14. 24
    Teunke7

Teunke7 Loyal Member

Just uninstall every thing from the cfw see 3dshackguide online. Then use the seedminer method to install cfw correctly throw away the damn stargate3ds flashcard only change the stock microsd with the one of your flashcard. Install twloader who's running nds games perfectly.

I installed this yesterday and everything is running fine.

15. 8
    Voltron

Voltron Loyal Member

Thanks to all! Now i have solved almost all the problems; if it was useful for someone, i summarized what i did:
    - uninstall cfw with this procedure: https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw
    - re-install "Easy CFW Install" package (only Install section), updating \b9s\payloads\Luma3DS.firm with the new release of the Luma3DS (if an error appears, restart by entering the boot menu and switch default CFW to Luma3DS)
    - recover DS functionality with this procedure: https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting#dsi--ds-functionality-is-broken-after-completing-the-guide
    - re-launch firmware update of the 3ds console
    Now the console works well and is able to correctly execute all the DS functionalities; also the Stargate3DS works well for 3ds titles and Luma3DS functionalities. I've only one problem: the Stargate does not seem to work anymore in DS mode! When i enter in DS mode of the Stargate, the screen fills with scribbles and i can only read a language selection; continuing by pressing a button, the system freezes in black screen and i must restart the console. Does anyone have the same problem or can help to solve this? For me it's not a big problem bacause i've a DSTwo card that works very very well with all the DS titles, but it would be better if the Stargate worked well...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  16. 24
    Teunke7

Teunke7 Loyal Member

Stargate is a piece of shit which is not fully compatible with custom firmware.