hit tracker

'HOW TO' - FTP PS3 Games to PC, Clean 'pushlist' Files and More

Discussion in 'PS3 Game Ripping, Custom Mods' started by Cyberskunk, Sep 16, 2010.

1. 379
    Cyberskunk

Cyberskunk Developer for Team Rebug Developer

Home Page:
    http://www.REBUG.me
    So following ThreeDog’s suggestion I have compiled my findings that I have already posted in several different threads.. BUT FIRST

DISCLAIMER: Although the following methods in this guide have been tested so far without adverse results, neither the creator and author of these methods and guide (Cyberskunk) or Maxconsole.net and its staff take any responsibility for any damages which may be caused.. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Now that that is out of the way.. I would like to say that this is all my own work and I ONLY POST IT HERE AT MAXCONSOLE..

Also I would like to thank everyone who made the tools needed and of course.. The 'Groove'.. Here we go..

I decided to take my thoughts and findings from each thread and left them pretty much as I wrote them at the time (This way you may get a little better understanding of what I’m saying)..

Each thread will have its own section and their titles will link you to my original threads if you want to read them (Although there won’t be much more in them but someone may have already asked the question you are thinking)..

You will need the following (Sorry no links but it is all easy to find)..

FileZilla FTP Client Software
    Hex Editor (Anyone will do)
    PS3SFOEdit 0.80
    PS3 FTP Server
    Stealth BUM (Back-Up Manager)

Setting Up FileZilla

Open FileZilla and press the 'Site Manager' button (Under 'File' in the top left hand corner) then press ‘New Site’ and set it up like the pic below (Password can be anything)..
    View attachment 28981

You will see a tab that says 'Transfer Settings'.. You want to limit the connections to 2 (One for browsing the PS3 and one for transferring.. If you set this to 1 you will only be able to browse the PS3 if you’re not transferring anything).. Pic below..

View attachment 28982
    You'll find you'll get speeds between 8-18MB/s

With two files transferring at the same time you will only get speeds of about 3-5MB/s for each file..

Plus it seems to run a little more stable set like this.. :)

Now personally I ADD EVERYTHING I want (Entire HDD) to the Queue FIRST then start the transfer process..

If FTP crashes toggle the Queue processing OFF in FileZilla and disconnect it from the server (PS3)

DO NOT CLOSE.. Leave FileZilla OPEN!!

Go straight to 'Exit to XMB' on PS3 FTP Server (It is quicker than 'Stop FTP Service' and it shuts it down anyway).

Restart PS3 FTP Server and run it again

Go back to FileZilla and reconnect to the PS3

Toggle Queue processing ON again and it will pick up from where it left off.

Any failed transfers just right click on them and choose 'Reset and Requeue Selected Files' and try again..

On a side note..

ALWAYS CHECK ANY FILES YOU HAVE TRANSFERED BEFORE YOU DELETE THEM FROM THE PS3

After talking to someone that mentioned they were getting zero byte transfers I decided to go through my whole PS3 dump(Flash, HDD etc.) which I did with the original PS3 FTP Server before I played with any ID's and stuff..

I found that out of the thousands of files that were transferred about 150-200 of them were in fact zero bytes..

So in FileZilla I connected to the PS3 and and then on the PC side I browsed to the root directory of my PS3 dump..

Both your PC and PS3 windows should look identical (except if you have a USB or BD in the PS3.. But that is fine)..

Now press the second and third to last buttons at the top of FileZilla(Compare Directory and Synchronized Browsing).. Pic Below

View attachment 28983
    When you browse through your dump in the PC window the PS3 window will scroll and change directory with you.

So just browses to the zero byte file in the PC window and the PS3 window will show you it's proper sized equivalent for you to redownload..

Save Games Straight From BD to PC with PS3 FTP Server

IT WORKS when you dump a game from the PS3 BD to PC and back to PS3 HDD
    via FTP.

IT WORKS when you dump a game from the PS3 HDD to PC and back to PS3 HDD
    via FTP.

THE GAME WILL PLAY FROM BACKUP MANAGER..

UPDATING the GAME software WILL NOT WORK (You cannot install retail packages in Groove(Debug) mode)

1: Start up PS3 FTP Server

2: Browse to folder 'dev_bdvd' on the PS3 and transfer the entire contents to a folder named as that games Disc ID (BLESXXXX) on your PC.

When you want to play it..

1: Start up PS3 FTP Server

2: Browse to folder (BLESXXXX) on your PC and transfer the entire folder to 'dev_hdd0/game/(BUM DISC ID)/GAMEZ' on your PS3.

It will appear next time you open Backup Manager.. Good for storing those games with files over 4GB..

Just thought I'd mention.. It took about 30-40min to transfer Resident Evil 5 (11.2GB) from the PS3 HDD to PC.. and about 30-40min to transfer NFS:Shift (3.88GB) from the PS3 BD to the PC and back again using FTP.

YES WE CAN Replace our 'pushlist' Files

Just checked those 'pushlist' files with a simple hex editor.. This is what was in game.dat while BUM (Back-up Manager) was installed.. Also PS3 FTP Server will always be first on the list because it is the last thing executed before I've grabbed it each time.. Anything in brackets are my comments..

FTPD12345. (PS3 FTP Server)
    BLES00681. (NFS:Shift)
    LAUN12345. (BUM)
    BLES00485.
    NPEA00019.
    NPEB00218.
    NPEB00216.
    NPEB00215.
    NPEB00214.
    NPEB00181.
    NPEB00099.
    SLES00664.
    NPEZ00130.
    NPEZ00042.
    NPEF00098.
    NPIA00005.
    NPEZ00028.
    NPEZ00115.
    NPEZ00041.
    SCES00311.
    NPEE00006.
    NPEA00057.
    NPEB90174.
    SCES00010.

Next is game.dat with BUM uninstalled before doing a reset..

LAUN12345. (BUM)
    BLES00485.
    NPEA00019.
    NPEB00218.
    NPEB00216.
    NPEB00215.
    NPEB00214.
    NPEB00181.
    NPEB00099.
    SLES00664.
    NPEZ00130.
    NPEZ00042.
    NPEF00098.
    NPIA00005.
    NPEZ00028.
    NPEZ00115.
    NPEZ00041.
    SCES00311.
    NPEE00006.
    NPEA00057.
    NPEB90174.
    SCES00010.

Identical and it was the same after doing a reset..

Next one is BUM reinstalled but I haven't opened it yet.. Just reinstalled..

LAUN12345. (BUM)
    BLES00485. (Same)
    NPEA00019. (Same)
    NPEB00218. (Same)

I've shortened the list because it is only the top that changes.. Now notice that BUM has moved up the list after only being installed.. Also it only moved it up the list.. It did not add another instance of it nor does this file contain any date info..

Next I ran GOW:Collection from BD and this is what I got..

BCES00791. (GOW:Collection.. New to the list but I have played this game before???)
    LAUN12345. (BUM)
    BLES00485. (Same)
    NPEA00019. (Same)
    NPEB00218. (Same)

Next.. After transferring NFS:Shift back to the PS3 via FTP(all backups get deleted when you uninstall BUM) and playing it.. This is what I got..

LAUN12345. (BUM)
    BCES00791. (GOW:Collection)
    BLES00485. (Same)
    NPEA00019. (Same)
    NPEB00218. (Same)

Notice how BUM appears after NFS:Shift in the list.. It would seem that after BUM mounts the game as a BD the game is logged as usual..

Now last of all and what you started reading this for..

I deleted my game.dat file and replaced it with a blank one (Just in case the PS3 decided not to boot without it).. Reset the PS3 and this is what I got..

It works.. I don't have a copy of Stealth BUM so I haven't checked what that appears as.. It might just be stealth..

UPDATE: Just deleted my patch.dat off of the PS3 and reset it without replacing.. The PS3 booted up with a new patch.dat file that looked like this..

FTPD12345...............................00.0000... ..

Almost clean again..

OK.. I've installed the MW2 Stealth BUM..

I installed it then FTP'd the eboot.bin to the PC and using the good old hex editor changed the two references LAUN12345 to the MW2 Disc ID then copied it back to PS3.. Giving me a new storage location.. (There are three references to LAUN12345 only two need/can be changed so do a text string search for 'dev_hdd0' and you will find the two you are looking for)..

Deleted my 'pushlist' files then reset the machine..

Started Stealth BUM and backed up NFS:Shift to its new home..

Started NFS:Shift with GOW in the BD and played..

This is what my 'pushlist' files look like now..

game.dat

BLES00683. (Modern Warfare2 a.k.a Stealth BUM)

and patch.dat

FTPD12345...............................00.0000... ..
    BLES00681.......................01.00...02.7600... ..
    BLES00683.......................01.00...00.000

Unfortunately I don’t have the PS3 SDK so cant repack anything which means at the moment I don't think I can change PS3 FTP Server to a different Disc ID to be clean and stay clean..

Also I'm curious to know if a PS1 Disc ID will work but like I said I can't repackage anything at the moment so I can't try..

If these are the only two files that get sent I believe we might be able to clean up our machines for now..

I should probably mention that I had the original BUM already installed before I cleaned and checked the above.. It appears it won't go on the list until you run it again.

Fixing the Disc ID would be a much more permanent solution than deleting the files constantly.. This is why I'm wondering about the PS1 Disc ID.. Possible benifits would be..

1: A wider selection for devs to choose from when giving their homebrew an ID

2: Won't interfere with any PS3 games you want to play

3: Won't tell you there is a new update available for software (I don't have MW2 so I didn't know what version it was up to.. I just cancelled and it worked fine).. LOL

Fixing the BUM 'update nag screen'

For those that haven't figured it out you can fix the 'update nag screen' problem mentioned above by editing the PARAM.SFO to the version number you are being asked to update to..

1: Transfer it to your PC via FTP if you don't have it already..

2: Edit the file to reflect what I said above..

3: Delete the PARAM.SFO file from the PS3 via FTP (IMPORTANT TO DO THIS FIRST BEFORE TRANSFERRING)..

4: Transfer your new PARAM.SFO file to the PS3 via FTP to replace it

5: Reset and enjoy no more 'update nag screen' if your Disc ID was requiring one..

Originally Posted by ThreeDog
    So has anyone actually edited the ID for the FTP manager yet?
    I assume i just need to install it and edit the sfo with 0.80 right?

Yes you assume right.. That's exactly what I did using a PS1 Disc ID.. This is what I got..

game.dat

SLES04176. (PS1 Conan a.k.a PS3 FTP Server)
    BLES00683. (Modern Warfare 2 a.k.a Stealth BUM)

patch.dat

SLES04176...............................00.0000... ..
    BLES00681.......................01.00...02.7600... ..
    BLES00683.......................02.00...00.0000... ..

The new 'pushlist' files were generated by the PS3 by deleting them via FTP and then doing a reset (Although a reset is not needed to do this you can just run BUM or anything else for that matter to get the new 'pushlist' files)..
    This is Stealth BUM in the patch.dat file BEFORE and AFTER I edited the PARAM.SFO to stop the 'update nag screen'.. I changed the app version number as well to 2.00 just to see what would happen..

BEFORE: BLES00683.......................
    01.00...00.0000... ..

AFTER: BLES00683.......................
    02.00...00.0000... ..

How to make PS3 FTP Server 'pushlist' Stealth

Just in case anyone wasn't sure how to how to make PS3 FTP Server 'pushlist' stealth (It's not in 'directory' stealth yet.. Just 'pushlist' stealth.. Need SDK for that)..

1) Install 'PS3 FTP Server'

2) Grab its SFO file

3) Change FTPD12345 to a PS1 Disc ID suitable for your region (Find one here)

4) Delete the original SFO via FTP (before you transfer the new one over.. IMPORTANT)

5) Transfer the new SFO over to folder FTPD12345 on the PS3

6) Delete the following 3 files..

game.dat and patch.dat (found here 'dev_hdd0\vsh\pushlist')

and

boot_history.dat (found here 'dev_hdd0\home\00000001\etc')

7) Reset PS3

You should be 'clean' after that..

Cheers..

'boot_history.dat'.. YES WE CAN Delete it..

Poking around my PS3 HDD I came across this file..

'boot_history.dat'

Found in this location..

'dev_hdd0\home\00000001\etc'

This is what was in it..

GSLES04176 (Stealth PS3 FTP Server)
    GBLES00409
    GBLES00178
    GBLES00599
    GBLES00681 (NFS:Shift)
    GBLES00683 (Stealth BUM)
    GFTPD12345 (PS3 FTP Server)
    GLAUN12345 (BUM)
    GBCES00791
    GBLES00485
    GNPEA00019
    GNPEB00099
    GNPIA00005
    GNPEZ00028
    GSCES00311
    GNPEA00057
    GNPEB90174
    GSCES00010
    GNPEZ00194
    GNPEA00135

It would be a simple guess that the 'G' at the start of each Disc ID is a reference to what the PS3 considers a game being booted up..

So I deleted this file to be on the safe side then restarted PS3 FTP Server and it was there again but looked like this..

GSLES04176 (Stealth PS3 FTP Server)

This file acts in the same way as the 'pushlist' files.. Meaning it only has one instance of each ID on the list at any one time in the order of execution..

Also if you check out this directory..

'dev_hdd0\home\00000001\exdata'

You should find the activation data for all your PSN stuff.. BACK IT UP.. :D

Reinstall 'Game Data' Folders Without Redownloading

Ok.. This one is only for the people that can make npdrm package files.. (Requires SDK)

If you don't know how then I suggest a quick Google search and you will see and maybe find what you need.. (Sorry cannot help you there)

For those that do it is quite simple.. I will assume that in everyone's curiosity they have probably copied 'dev_hdd0/games' to their PC via FTP.. This is where you'll find your game data (updates), PSN Games and any games installed to the HDD via BD (checking the .SFO file of a particular folder will tell you what type it is).

Select the update you want to put back on your PS3

Make your package config file.. Remember that for 'Content_Type' you must use 'GameData' not 'GameExec'.. Something like this..

Content-ID = EP0001-XXXXYYYY_00-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    K_licensee = 0x00000000000000000000000000000000
    DRM_Type = Free
    Content_Type = GameData
    PackageVersion = 01.00

Package it the same way you normally would..

The EBOOT.BIN file will not get packed with the rest of the files.. DO NOT PANIC

Install the package in Groove mode then FTP the EBOOT.BIN across to its home on the PS3..

I've tried with two different updates and both have worked.. May even be able to apply it to your PSN games as well.. Not sure………. yet..

Temporarily Reactivate Your PSN Content with a Backup of 'act.dat'

I've figured out you can temporarily reactivate your PSN Content and it is as simple as transferring your backup of..

'act.dat' or the entire 'exdata' folder (Depends on the situation)

to this folder on the PS3..

'dev_hdd0\home\00000001\exdata'

It will be reactivated until you restart the PS3 again..

So go and backup the 'exdata' folder now if you haven't already!!..

So there you go guys.. I'll try to keep adding to it.. Hope I’ve helped.. :D

P.S. I edited and repacked 'PS3 FTP Server' and 'Back-Up Manager' so both have PS1 Disc ID's.. Unfortunately I cannot post them but I have given them to a couple of people and what they do with them is up to them so they may pop up somewhere.. They are 'NINJA FTP' and 'Stealth BUM'.. :D

If anyone has the intention of reproducing this post in part or in full please credit the original author.

EDIT: Thanks for the Sticky..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2010
  2. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Thanks for combining the info.

3. 379
    Cyberskunk

Home Page:
    Updated: Added how to temporarily reactivate your PSN Content..

4. 1,626
    Nocuddle

Nocuddle Loyal Member

Ur work is priceless.

Well done mate! :)

5. 7
    alberto75

alberto75 Loyal Member

Hey guys, I read the guide and I'm having a weird problem. When replacing the files that were at 0 kb, I'd change folders to see if any others were like that, when going back to the folders I replaced already, the file size would be back to 0 kb. I've tried on Filezilla, and WS_FTP. I have no idea what the problem is.

6. 379
    Cyberskunk

Home Page:
    I'm assuming you are transferring PS3=>PC.. Make sure to restart the FTP on the PS3 side before trying to re-transfer any 0kb files again..

If going from PC=>PS3 make sure to delete the file you are trying to replace before transferring.. :)

7. 7
    alberto75

alberto75 Loyal Member

I've done that, I'm going PC>PS3. The file would transfer properly, but then just drop back to 0 kb.

8. 379
    Cyberskunk

Home Page:
    Are you trying to send to the HDD or flash?..

9. 192
    nightpath

nightpath Loyal Member

Air Force tech
    Is there a way I can take my backups from my external HDD, hook it to my PS3 and copy them to the internal HDD?

Edit : Does this xfer through the internet or just PC - Router - PS3? And would it be faster to just hook the PS3 directly to the PC with an ethernet cord?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
  10. 140
    jase1

jase1 Loyal Member

I have multiple boot_history.dats.

Below are the boot_history.dat folder and creation dates, some might be to do with patch updates I'm not sure, either I have 5 boot_history.dat files......any ideas? :confused:

dev_hdd0\home\00000003\etc (30/09/2010)
    dev_hdd0\home\00000005\etc (04/09/2010)
    dev_hdd0\home\00000006\etc (25/08/2010)
    dev_hdd0\home\00000007\etc (24/08/2010)
    dev_hdd0\home\00000008\etc (24/09/2010)

11. 143
    hjvp

hjvp Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    Problem in the transfer...

I followed the guide... I can connect to the PS3 and see th hdd...
    But the transfer fail... I'm not able to transfer a single file... :mad:

Why? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Can someone help me????

Thanks ;)

12. 140
    jase1

jase1 Loyal Member

If your backups are on a ntfs partitioned ext hdd then you have to ftp the files, if it's on a fat32 partition you can use comgenie's awesome filemanager and just copy them to the internal using the ps3.

Transfers goes through the router -> ps3, others have a direct to ps3 setup

Never tried it myself.

13. 143
    hjvp

hjvp Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    Problem solved...

The problem was the PS3 FTP Server... :p
    I was using the version 1.1 (blackb0x)... than I tried to use the ps3-ftp-server version 1.0 and is working ! ! ;)

14. 379
    Cyberskunk

Home Page:
    Each folder '0000000X' is a different user.. If you want to it is safe to delete each one of them.. :)

15. 77
    PaRaNoID81

PaRaNoID81 Loyal Member

Ya dude, same issue here, downgraded as you suggested and its working now. :) Thanks.

16. 263
    dim33

dim33 Loyal Member

Is anyone aware whether restoring factory defaults also gets rid of the pushlist files?

Also, just to confirm (yes, I have read the instructions below carefully - but wan't to be absolutely sure) - is it safe to delete game.dat, patch.dat and boot_history.dat and then reboot (without replacing them with blank versions) without any ill effects?

17. 379
    Cyberskunk

Home Page:
    Yes.. It is safe to delete them..

18. 263
    dim33

dim33 Loyal Member

Not sure if we know the answer to this yet, but does anything get pushed to the psn if you go generally online with the unit (but not psn)? Or is information only sent when you actually login to the psn (which is not possible below 3.50 anyway)?

19. 379
    Cyberskunk

Home Page:
    Your right in the fact that.. NO.. We don't really know when/if these files are sent..

Better to be safe than sorry.. ;)

20. 263
    dim33

dim33 Loyal Member

Thanks. So, as far as we know anyway, a pushlist delete and normal reboot before going online should be enough?

Is there no registry (in the Windows sense) with a record of installed apps?

Edit: I have looked at my logs of what web connections have been made by the unit and there is nothing there to suggest that any connections have been made anywhere except for the browsing I did through the internet browser.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010