hit tracker

How To: Moonshell User Guide v2 - DS Media Player Homebrew

Discussion in 'NDS FlashCarts, Custom Mods' started by Zeus, Apr 10, 2006.

1. 5
    cdogg777

cdogg777 Loyal Member

Yes it is....
    I finally found the software, but I can't post websites because of my post count. Anyways, it's called M3 Game Manager.

2. 1,106
    DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS Loyal Member

Good luck using the Game Manager to load DS games on your M3. Yeah, it'll copy them over, but unless your DS has FlashMe installed or you're using a slot-1 NoPass device, then you won't be able to launch them.

If it does work for you, then you have FlashMe installed and you should have stated that from the beginning.

3. 5
    cdogg777

cdogg777 Loyal Member

M3 has it's own firmware. It's strictly a slot 2 device, and does not need to have anything on it. You format/copy the games with Game Manger onto an SD card, and launch them through the M3 GUI. There is no FlashMe, NoPass, or any slot-1. You should research before giving people incorrect advice.

4. 1,106
    DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS Loyal Member

You are asking about Moonshell, which is a DS program. As the M3 is a slot-2 device as you said yourself, there is no way to boot it into DS mode with just the Game Manager software. The DS itself will not allow you to boot it into DS mode, unless the DS's firmware is flashed with FlashMe (note that I never said anything about the M3's firmware). Nothing I said so far has been false, though it may have been interpreted as such.

So here's the question: can you or can you not boot Moonshell on your DS using your slot-2 M3 device? If you can, then your DS has FlashMe installed, either by you or someone else who had physical access to your DS. If you cannot, then you will need a slot-1 NoPass device to make it happen.

5. 5
    cdogg777

cdogg777 Loyal Member

Please scroll up and look at your original "answer" to my question. Minus anything said before.
    I asked:
    "I have a slot2 series M3 player.
    Just want some software that can format a .nds to play on my M3 player. "

You responded:
    There is none. It's not physically possible to boot your M3 in DS mode without some sort of additional hardware, namely a slot-1 NoPass device like a PassCard 3 or Superkey or something like that.

You may have misunderstood my question, and I may have misunderstood your answer. But regardless. There IS software that can format a .nds to play on my M3 player. That was what I asked, and you responded to. Of that, you were incorrect. I really am not familiar with all the current devices, although I am much more so now since I looked so hard.
    Anyways...

6. 1,106
    DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS Loyal Member

As you did not specify if you had the means of booting it in DS mode or not, I assumed your question was "Is there software to make DS games playable on my slot-2 M3 alone?" in which case my answer was correct since the Game Manager cannot overcome the hardware limitation. However, it appears that was not what you intended to ask, so I apologize for the confusion.

EDIT: To clarify, if you had at any point stated that you did indeed have the means of booting the M3 in DS mode, then I would have mentioned the Game Manager right off the bat. However, all you said was "when I drag and drop the games onto the card they don't work" which could be taken multiple ways. My interpretation ended up being the wrong one, and again for that I apologize, but please be more specific in the future to help avoid similar incidents.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009
  7. 1
    mad_yoshi

mad_yoshi Loyal Member

Help installing Moonshell on M3 simply with R4 firmware

I installed R4 firmware on my Simply, and I'm having problems running Moonshell on it.

I've downloaded the moonshell 1.71 from the R4 site. I renamed the file into _DS_MSHL.nds so it can be booted with the middle icon on the first menu.

But it doesn't load.

If I don't rename the file, but select it from the second menu (just like picking a game) it loads, but it's an older version...

Anyway, please answer.. and if someone has any links for dowlnoading working Moonshell (hopefully with working soft reset) for M3 simply with R4 firmware, I would be vary grateful

8. 7
    macflames

macflames Loyal Member

Has anyone got Moonshell version 2.00 working properly? mine wont let me go anywhere, been patched with the DLDI for supercard lite and everything and copied the directory, just curious if its a programmers bug or my own mistake

9. 1
    PeterDideriksen

PeterDideriksen Loyal Member

Cannot make my NDS (or GBA) display the .nds-files

I have bought a supercard mini sd - in order for my kids to be able to watch movies on their NDS. I tried the manufacturer's instructions but got stuck on poor instructions and an error occuring in the PC installation programme. But the followed your instructions carefully - releived to find something that I could understand. Unfortunately, on booting the NDS with the card inserted, .nds files on the card do not appear on my file list on the NDS screen.

I should add that I never worked with NDS or this kind of thing before, but that I am an able PC user, working with programming on a daily basis. Probably some basis thing that I missed and that I do not manage to understand from the material at hand.

Hope somebody can help.

Best regards

Peter Dideriksen

10. 1,106
    DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS Loyal Member

Here's the issue - the DS normally does not allow you to boot a slot-2 device in DS mode. Right now, you're stuck with just GBA mode. To fix this, you'll need some sort of slot-1 device that tricks the DS into booting the Supercard in DS mode. Popular options include the Superkey, PassCard 3, Max Media Launcher, among others. If you really want to get it working now rather than buying something online, look for an Action Replay DS, which will function as a passthrough device if you hold Select upon bootup.

Once you get the Supercard booted in DS mode at least once, you can choose to install FlashMe if you wish. FlashMe is a replacement firmware for the DS that, among other functions, removes the need for a slot-1 passthrough device. There are some minor risks involved with FlashMe installation, but as long as you follow instructions there's very little chance of something going wrong (for instance, the very first thing FlashMe installs is the emergency recovery code, so unless you turn your DS off before 2-3% of the process is completed, you'll be fine). It's an option at least, and I would recommend looking into it.

In the meantime, there are a couple of ways you can view movies in GBA mode, but they're not nearly as good in terms of quality. The first is to use the Meteo software, but the major limitation here is that you must make sure the output *.gba file is under 32 MB. At the lowest quality, this means 25 minutes of video max, while at the highest quality you only get 5 minutes. The other option is to use the GBA Media Player software which can view longer video files, and I believe this is what you've already tried. Better instructions for this are available at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Supercard#Music_and_Movies

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
  11. 0
    pqrs872

pqrs872 Guest

bon week-end

Bon week-end

12. 1
    yisroel

yisroel Loyal Member

videos

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I keep trying to put videos on my r4 but when i load the video is says load error

13. 1
    poppy

poppy Loyal Member

i totally agree, i had no idea what moonshell was even though ive heard about it, i would have had no idea how to use it, so thank you for the guide :)

14. 4
    kero6661

kero6661 Loyal Member

moonspeak?

15. 1
    yasafet

yasafet Loyal Member

well whaddaya know

16. 1
    email4shopping

email4shopping Loyal Member

Installing Moonshell on the regular SDHC card

[TD="class: t_msgfont"]Do I need to buy the so-called flashcart (R4, cardstwo, etc) in order to install Moonshell2? I have already owned a regular SDHC memory card (Kingston, class 10, 32GB). Can I install Moonshell on that card? If so, any installation guide I can read up?

Thank you[/TD]