hit tracker

How to play PS2 games on PS3 info

Discussion in 'PS3 Modding Tutorials' started by Piratan, Mar 23, 2013.

1. 375
    Piratan

Piratan Loyal Member

Information -
    1 Flatz PS2 classics algorithm - Long Read, but incredible. Sony updated the old busted ps2_netemu.self with a new one that is almost a perfect ps2 software emulator, games that was glitchy even with cobra works fine with it. but instead of releasing it, they are making people re buy ps2 games called ps2 classics.

2 CatainCPS-X breaks it down - If you are like me, flatz post might as well been in a foreign language but luckily Captain breaks it down and writes a guide for us, and aldos even makes some tools to help! He has another method, which i will get to, but read this guide so you understand the steps, also, if you want more than one ps2 installed to the xmb at a time, then you should follow this method.

3 CaptainCPS-X makes it even easier - Ok this time, he has made his own ps2 classic shell ( like 30 mbs, smallest download for sure. ) it will also use his new ps3 manager here.

Compatatibilty - Some people are saying things dont work and get black screens. I read that some say that FFX does not work, and neither does FFXII. But they just either have a bad iso, or didn't patch the iso right. ( or didnt delete the content folder or the config file. DELETE those,, you dont need them. ). I know for a fact that they work. and you can even play english patched international versions.

Save Management - They also figured out how to use your old saves or use the cheat enabled codes saves from gamefaqs or your old saves from epsxe. it works but it is not very noob friendly right now.

2. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

3. 1,327
    rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

I've got Kingdom Hearts 1 working. Tried FFX(NTSC-U), but I think it was a bad rip cause the iso.bin.enc only turned out to be 1.7 GB(3+ GB ISO), but kingdom hearts was 4+....

Trying FFXII right now.

EDIT: While I was waiting for FFX and FFXII to download and be ready, I decided to give codebreaker a shot (obviously won't load a game, but just wanted to see if the iso would load) and even it loads. Compatibility with this method is awesome!!

EDIT2: FFX that I first used was indeed a bad rip as the second one I used worked just fine as well as FFXII, Silent Hill 4, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

4. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

Captain CPS-X has released his beta version of PS2 CLassics manager i made front page news about it.

5. 274
    wyldstallyn

wyldstallyn Loyal Member

Does region matter?

Can I rip my JAP PS2 imports and use this method on US PS3?

6. 1,327
    rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly ntsc-j works on ntsc-u consoles. Been a long time since I dealt with ps2 backups though.

7. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    Just tried Persona 3 FES and Burnout 3, and all I get is a blackscreen - WTF!

Does ANYONE here use Rogero's firmware, and experienced such an error with any of the PS2 repacks/legitimate PS2 Classics titles?

Fuck it: I'm going over to REBUG, but only for a while so that I can figure out what the heck is causing this.

Oh wait - now I'm told to delete the xRegistry and restore but still that doesn't solve the blackshitscreen error! :mad:

8. 99
    traube

traube Loyal Member

@gDrive
    I had a similar problem, no ps2 classic would boot (original or selfmade) it only gave me a black screen and the hdd light blinking occasionally. I then updated from Rogero 4.21 v2.00 to Rogero 4.30 v2.05 and every game I tried so far is working.

9. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    Finally got the PS2 shit to work - now all that's left is for me to make my own repacks as I have a shitload of PS2 backups - so far, none of them work! :(

10. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

Hey dipshits i know i said at least 3 times a few days ago that 4.30+ is required. :)

11. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    Yeah you did but I was already on 4.30 but blackscreen errors are common, even for those on OFW

12. 99
    traube

traube Loyal Member

Glad it's working, what was your solution?

13. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

and i guess game data tool will work with some games on external, i only tested one game and it black screened but heard from others there games worked, so this a per game thing i guess.

14. 375
    Piratan

Piratan Loyal Member

also it is reported by Captain that Rogero CFW has some issues and it is better to be on rebug.

and goes on again

15. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    Mine was a shitload of factors, ranging from RIF-generating issues to ContentID-spoofing issues so I had to use the latest reactPSN AND use the default placeholder contentID for the encrypted ISOs

16. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

Nope doesnt work, tested 4 more games. Unless theres some secret trick. Or all my games just happened to be non-compatible.

17. 847
    pete_uk

pete_uk Crunchy Emu Compiler Loyal Member

It's more likely to be bad rips Pat, Every game I have tried has booted. Some haven't worked properly (Graphics glitches, slowdowns etc) but they all booted :)

Just let me know if you want a UG invite mate ;)

18. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    There's two MAIN requirements for the ISOs to be compatible with the PS3:
    - 2048 bytes per sector for DVD images and 2352 (IIRC) bytes per sector for CD images
    - ISO9660 (CDFS) + UDF file system

Another requirement is that your disc image has to have the DVD-ROM GENERATOR disc image identifier, or anything related to Sony, although I ripped out the videos from Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 and repacked it with ImgBurn and it worked so this requirement may not be necessary.

19. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

You realize Im talking about from EXTERNAL right? with gamedatatool. Im have NO PROBLEM getting them to work on internal.

It was easy as hell to get them to work on internal, i did it like 3 or 4 days ago first time.

edit:

I do think it's "cute" though that you guys think I couldn't get them to work from internal and are giving me baby directions hahahah, come on I had to patch my PS2 discs for them to work on my soft modded phat ps2 console like 3 years ago. ;)

If you are in fact talking about them running from EXTERNAL this info does not help, I've activated placeholder via internal, then installed it on external with gamedata tool putting properly named .enc game(s) in USRDIR.

Games I tried:

Resident evil code veronica
    Ghost Recon Jungle Storm
    Red Faction 2
    Area 51

all work on internal NOT external

20. 375
    Piratan

Piratan Loyal Member

Alittle off topic, but now it seems we will soon be able to do the same with psp isos, and use it in a psp mini or psp classic placeholder. good news!