hit tracker

How to Softmod you XBOX [Full Tutorial]

Discussion in 'Xbox Retro Hacking / Mods & General Discussion' started by [email protected], Dec 10, 2005.

1. 24
    ProjectNemesis

ProjectNemesis Loyal Member

ok heres another question for you. how do i softmod the xbox when i dont have a PC that has IDE hard drives??

however i do have this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

could i somehow use that? my motherboard doesnt have a IDE attachment, but i have 2 IDE drives that i use as an external HDD at the moment.

2. 248
    h@Ck3R

[email protected] Loyal Member

it MIGHT work, just when you hotswap it (switch the hard drives) hook the xbox hard drive to the usb thing. idk if the xboxhdm will see that hard drive but then again idk if the computer reads the hard drives as SATA. reply back and tell us if it works :):)

3. 1,401
    realg187

realg187 Loyal Member

Gangsta!!
    Home Page:
    http://geocities.com/gamesharkmike
    Yeah my computer is a laptop and my desktop Pentium III will probably hang for any new hard drive (Unless partitioned funny and it has a thing in the MBR).

Maybe a VM might[/url] work, you could just boot the ISO w/o burning and ur lucky the VM software will hook up to the USB2IDE and it will be just like booting off a CD and having the harddrive hooked up!

4. 248
    h@Ck3R

yeah he's right BUTT its not safe to be hooking up ide cables to hard drives while your computer is running. I broke my old 40gb hard drive doing this procedure before :p I think it was probably because of the power cord but its still not 100% safe.

5. 2
    Darktemplar

Darktemplar Loyal Member

ok the method works fine, but it seems that my originals m$ dash is gone now...
    i can't even start it after transferring the msdash files via ftp and executing the xbe over xbmc's filemanager...it always says error 21

is there any possibility to get the original dash back? i already tried several bootdiscs like Slayers 2.6 but nothing helped me out...

6. 248
    h@Ck3R

theres a way u can but idk how. ive tried before

7. 1
    patient xero

patient xero Loyal Member

I just did this a few minutes ago, and it worked great the first time. My xbox has been collecting dust for the past few years, now all of a sudden I'm interested in it again. Thanks for the tutorial, I was kinda skeptical at first, but there's nothing complicated about doing this.

8. 248
    h@Ck3R

thank you im glad it worked for you :)

9. 134
    smashly

smashly Loyal Member

The reason your not able to load the ms dash is because your ms fonts are hacked so that you can stall the security & re-allocate the memory and then run unsigned code, the first thing the ms dash loads is the hacked fonts and bam error 21.

By using nkpatcher you can can get around it. It's a little tricky but once you've got it worked out you won't end up with a locked out xbox if you screw C: drive over by updating or even deleting (yes I've had ppl delete the xbox C: drive via ftp)..

I use nkpatcher and boot a shadow drive as C: (my real C: is mounted as Q:), this way I can still load ms dash from within the shadow C: drive.
    I've actually updated my ms dashboard while running from the shadow C: drive and it works fine. I do an IGR (In Game Reset) and I'm back to my hacked dash.

10. 1
    saltine356

saltine356 Loyal Member

Error 21

So, this is my first attempt at modding an XBOX, I followed the tutorial but now I get the service required, error 21, screen when trying to boot up.

I tried to go back into to xboxhdm and run through the steps again but when I type the xboxhd command it says "shotdown connect a drive and reboot" when i try the xbrowser command it finds the harddrive but then syas "no xbox-partition table found on /dev/hda"

Any suggestions?

11. 8
    Crzyamerican

Crzyamerican Loyal Member

So what now?

Sorry to ask a noob question but.....

I just followed this tutorial and successfully modded my sons xbox. I can ftp it and it boots just fine. :)

I know you can do MANY things with this soft mod but I am at a loss on where to start. I would like to find out how to place his games on his HD and play backup Cd's. Is there a tutorial on how to use the functions of evox? I have searched and read many things and some mention hacked bios and mod-chips. His xbox doesn't have a mod-chip and the bios reads as "unknown"

any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

12. 248
    h@Ck3R

(TO Crzyamerican)
    ok first off, dont use evox, evox sucks. when i made this tutorial i hadnt used any other dashboard. use xbmc. you can make it look like an xbox 360 too and it has all the original xbox features plus a whole bunch of others. i think u can find it in xbins. also, to play backup dvds (most xbox games wont fit on a cd, cd is 700mb, dvd is 4.7gb) just burn the xboxgame.iso to a disc (with nero click burn iso file (or disc image) to dvd. you dont have to worry about the bios and there is no need for a modchip. to put games on a harddrive, get the xbox dvd image (xboxgame.iso) and use qwix to extract it and put the contents on the xbox in E:\ROOT\Games\XboxGameName\. then just go to games on the dashboard and it should be there. with a factory xbox hard drive it can only fit about 2 games on it, but it depends on the size of the games. you can buy a bigger hard drive, but i have no experience with that but i know its 100% possible.

(TO saltine356)
    the cd u used to format the xbox hard drive must not have worked. try again, redo the tutorial

13. 1,791
    panyan1991

panyan1991 Loyal Member

God of all Knowledge
    i have softmodded loads of my friends xboxes. I use ndures savegame then ftp xbmc to them , i try to avoid opening them as i dont have a desktop.

i got one yesterday from oxfam, but when i turn it on, it boots fine, etc, i have updated the dash to 5960, and copied the save game over for splinter cell (i always use it) and try to load the exploit as usual - it comes up with an error 21 and the light at the front flashed green and red.

when i turn off the xbox, it turns itself back on and ejects the tray - whats that about?

i thought the eject and power button had come loose so i opened her up only to find out that i cannot access the board behind the buttons - i gave her a clean and closed her back up - same problem.

how do i solve this - is the error linked to the buttons malfunctioning?

14. 248
    h@Ck3R

15. 8
    Crzyamerican

Thanks much [email protected], I appreciate you taking the time to explain.
    Been really busy so it took awhile to get back to this. Is it easy to replace the dashboard with xbmc? I already loaded evox.

Also should I install the XBMC_SVN or the slim? I am guessing SVN is newer the the slim.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
  16. 248
    h@Ck3R

download 2.0.0 FAT and download the latest svn and just copy the svn over to the same folder as FAT and overwrite all files and just copy all tthe files in XBMC to E:\ROOT\. i would delete everything in root first

17. 8
    Crzyamerican

Thank you again. Everything is working very well. My son is very happy with media center. :D

18. 248
    h@Ck3R

no problem :) im glad u got it working right

19. 248
    h@Ck3R

oh sorry panyan. umm idk why it does that. the dashboard probably isnt working right with ur bios version. ive never heard of that happening. there might be something messsed up on the board the buttons on. other than that i have no idea what could be causing that. sorry about the late reply :p

20. 5
    ikilledscott

ikilledscott Loyal Member

uxe-complete-v0.2.2.rar without mirc

Im still a Noob and screwed up using mirc and got banned.... is there another way of getting uxe-complete-v0.2.2.rar without mirc? any help woul be awesome