hit tracker

How to unbrick your Cobra ODE

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by magneto, Oct 24, 2013.

1. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

As you see light responses I pretty sure you didn't brick it.
    Can you explain the full update procedure and lights you saw?
    Did you also flash both FPGA files SEPARATELY?

2. 3
    Vitaminless

Vitaminless Loyal Member

Well, I updated one file after another and plugged the power off and on. I think when installed the boot loader for the first time, there was a purple light as in the instruction, but quite shortly. When installed the MCU 2.0 the led didn't show the colors it was supposed to. After it was done, I think the lights where off then, I panicked (Noob mistake) and tried to install the MCU again. But still the LED didn't give me the signals it was supposed to give. Then I decided to just continue with the installation and tried to install the FPGA files (one after another). When I installed the FPGA1 file, it was flashing blue all the time. I repeatedly tried to install the FPGA1, but the signals didn't change. After this I tried to install FPGA3 but the LED didn't show any signals. After that I started from the beginning with the bootloader again and tried the whole process again several times. I'm sure I choose the correct FPGA files for my Cobra 3.0.
    Since I don't have a power switch on my PS3 I had to plug the powerplug in and out, it's a possibility that I damaged something while doing so, too. After the third round or so the Ode didn't even react anymore to my USB key. It just shows the green color shortly on powering up and when I plugin my HDD with the files and folders. But no red light ever since and freezing in EMU mode.

It's my fault as a noob the ODE stopped working, I should have stopped after the MCU update failed the first time and come here. :_(

3. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Try another USB stick and format using SwissKnife: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wp14cwcch5u1e8i/SwissKnife_Premium_Format_Tool.rar
    Start from the beginning and maybe film the lights and how it responds for us, the FPGA files should be flashing for about 1 to 2 minutes between red and purple.
    Make sure you read the instructions in the User Manual from page 22 for the update procedure explained.

4. 3
    Vitaminless

Vitaminless Loyal Member

What shall I say: I OWE YOU BIG TIME. Another USB key did it. During the Process (after I failed) I switched to an older 2GB key thinking it would work better. After your suggestion I switched back, did the whole process again and tataa - the ODE works. However when I installed the Updates it just flashed in blue colors (no purple, once green flashing thou). For some reason the LED doesn't show red light, when nothing is attached. But who cares, the ODE works again :p

5. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

It looks like the red LED is broken on your board.
    Any way great to see things are working again!
    Happy gaming!

6. 276
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

Computer Technician, part time construction worker
    California for now, until I move to kick ass Texas
    The picture for the 5.10b short is a dead link. Can someone fix it please? I want to unbrick my ODE but I would like to see the picture in the first post before I do anything.

7. 79
    casper2002

casper2002 Loyal Member

http://www.team-cobra-ode.com/images/V5_QSV.jpg

8. 276
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

9. 276
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

Okay here is my story, and I am hoping someone can fix my PS3.

I have the Ps3 Slim 3006b Slim SC Red unit (NTSC/J). I have installed the Cobra ODE 5.10b and when I installed it I immediately updated it to FW 2.0. The PS3 worked like a champ, played everything I threw at it, and it was good times. Recently I updated to this new 2.1 Beta FW and that is when I began having issues with the PS3 freezing,and slowing down. The overall performance was just horrible. I was given a link to 2.1 beta 9 and thought that would be a good fix and everything got worse. The system did nothing but freeze every single time I put a PS3 game in the system, and I could no longer get the PS3 to even detect PS3 games without it freezing up.

I tried to do the factory reset on the ODE by shorting the pins in the first thread, and it looked like it was doing something. I start my PS3 up in PT mode and it no longer freezes. I put in a PS3 BR disc and it does not detect it. I go into Emu mode and hook up the external hdd and the light goes green and the bluray drive is still not being detected so I cannot use the ISOs. I put the FW 2.0 update for 5.10b ODEs on the FAT32 formatted USB 2.0 8gb memory stick and it does NOT see the update and does not attempt to update the ODE. I have done the factory reset many times now and I still cannot get the ODE to detect the update at all. It ccan detect the Cobra folder and the manager and browser BUT without detecting the BluRay DISC I can get it to do nothing. In EMU mode I cannot even play the PSN downloaded titles as they hang on a black screen. In PT mode I can at least play PSN titles but that is all. So if I cannot get it to update, and I can find no way for it to see the bluray drive what can I do? Is the ODE bricked? Is it dead? Is my BR drive dead? Whats going on, please anyone help me as the ODE was working great from day one that the 5.10b ODE came out on FW2.0 and now I cannot get it to do anything at all.

10. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

You really need to try other USB sticks and format with SwissKnife: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wp14cwcch5u1e8i/SwissKnife_Premium_Format_Tool.rar
    Try any older USB stick also, the result is better.
    USB3.0 drives will only work after it's updated to FW 2.0 or higher.

11. 276
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

I have 4 USB thumb drives. All 4 of them are USB 2.0's TWO of them are 3-4 year old Blue Verbatim 2GB USB Thumb drives (2.0), The one I used to update it originally in May to FW 2.0 is my 8GB SanDisk USB (2.0) drive, and I also have a Kingston 64GB Thumdrive as well which is 2.0. I don't have ONE 3.0 USB thumb drive. I did use the swissknife app and it does nothing any different that my other apps that I use to format in Fat32. I used it, and tried again and again failure to read the USB thumb stick to update.

However, whats the point anyway if the ODE can see the external HDD right now, but, it cannot see the PS3 BluRay drive? It needs a disc in the BluRay drive to operate, and it cannot SEE the BluRay Drive at all?? How is it possible for the Cobra to work, show me lights, see the external HDD that I use and light up Green, and yet it cannot SEE the BluRay drive? and why is it that when I used PT mode on it I still cannot get a PS3 game to appear of the XMB? All of this makes no sense and I am really hoping someone can make sense of this.

When I have the ODE connected and in EMU mode I cannot get to even play a PSN title from the XMB, the screen goes black and does nothing, yet in PT mode it works, it is slow, and sometimes the FMVs are choppy but they work. When I completely disconnect the ODE from the PS3, the PS3 is faster, and all the PSN titles perform fine, yet I still cannot SEE the PS3 BluRay discs. I can hear the PS3 trying to read them, but nothing appears on the screen. Is there a way I can rewire the end of the ribbon cable coming FROM the PS3 main board that goes TO the ODE so that it redirects the damn signal back to the PS3 mainboard simulating PT mode so I can at least use BluRay discs until I get some kind of replacement? I think my ODE has gone ape shit here and there is nothing I can think of to do to fix it. If I get a new one in the mail that does the same thing then I guess the BRR Drive died, but I somehow doubt that the BR drive is dead. I will take apart some of the cables and completely replug all of them back in and see if that fixes things today, I am so damn stumped on this. It makes zero sense to me. The fact that the ODE can SEE the external HDD and light up GREEN but CANNOT SEE the USB thumb drive FW updates is so baffling my brain is running in circles. lol

It acts like it WANTS to see the update on the USB stick though. When the usb thumb drive is IN the back USB port with the FW 2.0 update on it the light goes from red, really fast to Blue, then quickly powers off the light for like a full second or two. Then it comes back on as RED. It's like it SEEs the update, and it attempts to update and something is stopping it from updating. Mind boggling.

Please remember I have a PS3 3006b Slim using the new Cobra 5.10b ODE. Thanks for the help guys. Please try to think of something, anything I can do to fix this so I can game on. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
  12. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

The bootdisc is not needed for the ODE itself to function, only to inject it's data and to show in the XMB.
    Did you redownload any of the files on the HDD?
    Just go through all the steps starting from the beginning and show us some pictures of the installation while you take things apart.
    Or something in the PS3 is dying or the ODE itself is somehow damaged.
    So start from the beginning.

Ow and take a few deep breaths. =-)

13. 276
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

Okay, nobody is going to believe this, and it embarrasses me to even say it because I sound like a complete LIAR, but, the truth is the truth. Are you fucking ready for this? :D

So I am ready to totally give up. I have my top off the PS3 and I removed all the cables and took out the damn BR drive, I took pics of everything, I put it all back together the way it was before. I hate to have to redo everything because all my double sided sticky tape is big and fluffy and it is a bitch to remove. But i have to find a way to remove it all and redo it. Anyways, I get it all back together and try to update the damn thing to 2.0 again and again and nothing. I hook up the external HDD and still its detecting it but nothing is happening. I just said fuck this, and shut down the PS3 without normal shut down, I used the kill switch I installed on it. I thought, shit I shouldnt have done that and I turned it back on and it said that it was shut down improperly and needed to check the files blah blah blah... I said fine. I click X and let it start checking files and we had a brownout here in Cebu. The brown out lasted about 90 minutes. I listened to some NeoGeo music on my damn Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY until the power came back on. I was like thank god man its hot in here. I turn on the aircon and flip on the PS3 and somehow the sudden jolt of energy from the brown out fucking revived my ODE! I called my wife into the room frantically and said look at this shit!!! The ODE symbol is on the screen and its detecting my damn games!! O M G!! I turned it off and changed the cfg file to point to the sonicmanager and plugged it back in and viola I am in sonic manager and it says that I am running Sonicmanager 3.01 and the ODE is on FW 2.0!!! Holy shit I am floored! I cannot WAIT to get some Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition going as soon as I post this shit! WOW! I am ordering a new Cobra ODE in the meantime just in case this happens again so I can immediately replace it! Until then its time to GAME ON!!! Woooo Hoooo! I LOVE my O D E!! lol! Thanks for the help though guys!

By the way IF I ever need to use an external power supply on it can you tell me a good one to get? I might want to invest in that just in case. Thanks! Wooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!!

14. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Well that's good news!
    And I can understand the frustration.
    What might have happened was your ODE needed longer to really power down, we've seen some ODE's need a power off of a few minutes before it's totally drained from power.
    The brownout might have caused the ODE to reset and finish the flash.
    Anyway I'm glad it started working.

Happy gaming!!

15. 276
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

Well, that might be what happened, but, that is not the entire story. Now that I have it fully working and I have a minute to type all this up I will tell you everything. I feel like a noob, but this was all a very good learning experience, and I have gained knowledge and I feel better now that everything works. Solving this was like a puzzle, and I had to work it out piece by piece, step by step until I stumbled onto the answer. So if you are ready again to read my story, here goes!

After the brown out the ODE seemed to be working, and I posted about it and was happy. However, all was not okay when using the ODE. I made my post here and was super excited to get to sit down and play my Dark Souls PTDE again, and I ended up with the pics you see here:

https://www.facebook.com/jeramy.anc...09789498742.1073741856.100003791752464&type=3

The graphics were corrupt and nothing was working right about the game. I also took a video and will post it to my YT account or FB page soon. So I was thinking well, at least the ODE is working, but what the hell is going on with my Dark Souls game? I turned off the PS3, and hooked up the HDD to the PC and did a test. Crystal disc says the HDD is BAD and needs replacement, so I'm thinking okay perhaps its the HDD. I test the game ISO using an IRD file and it comes back as perfect. In fact I test out a few more games using the IRD and they test perfect also. So this got me to wonder whats going on.

I plugged the HDD back into the ODE and tried out BioShock Infinite. I have an BLUS ISO of the game made without the IRD that has JUST the BioShock Infinite on it, and I get about 30 min into the game, everything seems to be running okay, and suddenly it tells me that the disc is corrupt or something and to reboot. At this point Im a bit upset but more than anything I'm curious about what the hell is going on. I try out a BR disc of DOOM3 using PT and after about 20 minutes it froze up on me. Okay something is not right, and this sucks because I JUST put the PS3 all back together with the screws, double sided tape on the ODE, etc etc... I don't want to do this all over again! But I want the ODE to work! So thus began my 2 FULL DAY AND NIGHT testing and testing and testing without any damn sleep at all. I AM determined to get my ODE and PS3 to work!

So I took off the top again, took a razorblade and cut the ODE off the BR drive, took apart all the ribbons and scotch tape holding everything down, stripped it down. I re-checked the solderpoints on the QSB, re-taped it in place with the ribbon cable, redid the damn Antec Formula 7 Thermal Paste, began putting it back together, got the BR drive cable firmly in place, etc etc... and finally got it back to the point to where all I needed to do is hook up the damn ODE to the ribbons again, and fire it up. This time the ODE was not detected at all like what was happening before. So I kept thinking about it, checking the wires, and rebooting. Defragging the external HDD and retrying it again. I sometimes would get it to work, but it would freeze if I touched the ribbon cables, so I began to think it was bad ribbon cables.

I began bending and stretching the cables and rebooting the ODE and PS3 over and over and got mixed results. Sometimes it would boot, other times it would not. If it did boot sometimes the games would start up and play sometimes they would not. I thought perhaps the cables were bad. After doing this shit for about a day and a half, I finally was about to give up. I though I would try a few more things and then I'm done. I don't want to give up but dammit, I want the ODE to work as I do not have time to get another right now and the seller is NOT responding to me.

So in a last ditch effort attempt at fixing this mess, I thought I would try out the external power source. But I don't have anything to plug into the wall. I thought to myself, well I can try to hook up the external power from the back of the PS3 USB to something. I grabbed the PS3 controller charging cable and said fuck it and connected it from the back of the PS3 USB port to my laptop sitting next to the PS3 on this table. I mean why the hell not. This damn laptop HAS 2 usb ports on the left side of it facing the PS3, and one of them doesn't do shit anymore other than output power for some reason. It stopped working with anything USB related but it freaking outputs power! lol! So I hooked it into the damn USB port on my laptop. When I turn off the PS3 unit using the hard power switch I installed the back of the PS3 USB port stays lit. So I knew it was getting external power.

I tried this out for a few hours and still mixed results. Again, sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. I tried and tried and just hoped I can figure this out. The ODE is ON FW2.0 so there is no need to TRY to update it again, so I just kept trying to play games on it. I even tried the games on a perfectly good HDD with the same results. After trying this shit for 2 days, and getting no sleep I thought, well I gave it a shot and I guess I failed. Something is wrong and I don't know what.

I took one last look at the damn ODE sitting there begging for me to fix it, and I shook my head. I thought eh fuck it! I unplugged the little tiny power cable atatched to the ODE and looked at the little lights... they were still on. Somehow a light bulb appeared over the top of my head! I thought to myself, this damn thing is using power from the Laptop, and nothing else right now. What IF I tried this instead of using BOTH the PS3 AND the laptop? So I turned on the PS3. The ODE symbol on the XMB appeared. Okay that's step one. Lets try out a game now. I tried out Ridge Racer 7 EURO Consolasatope rip, and sat there watching it for about 30 min. waiting for it to freeze up, or crash with an error. It ran perfectly fine. I'm sitting here drinking my cappuccino latte' and wondering if perhaps this fixed the issue I have been having all along. I turned off the PS3, waited a bit, and turned it back on. The ODE again appeared on the XMB, and so I tried out Dark Souls, and holy shit it worked without graphics issues. I thought perhaps the BAD HDD was part of the problem. So I hooked that thing back up and booted into Dark Souls, and its working perfectly on that also. I tried out BioShock Infinite, and its working as well.

I turned it off and moved the damn ribbon cables back and forth and turned it back on. The ODE appeared again and again it played just fine. I thought to myself this is insane... this shit is working better now than it ever has in the past few damn days, all due to the power cable that came with the ODE. So I turned it all off. I got the original PS3 power cable out of a box that was replaced by the ODE power cable. I replaced the cables inside the PS3 making the ODE power solely connected to my laptop. I even rebent the damn ribbon cables back to where they should be like it was when I first installed the damn thing. I hated doing it because I don't want them to break, I mean these cables have been straightened out and rebent all damn day long lol. But it had to be done. So after rebending the cables to where they should be and re-taping them down one final time, I hooked them back into the ODE and fired it all up. Again the PS3 booted up faster than usual, did not freeze, and the ODE was on the XMB! I thinkI finally fixed it, and I think you were the one that told me ages ago to use external power and I didn't listen. It really makes no sense at all since I have used the ODE since the FW 2.0 came out and never had to use external power and it rran fine. I guess the PSU finally is giving me the middle finger. lol

So after testing it out for a few solid hours with Dark Souls PTDE, and a few other games I am confident to put it all back together. I thought NOW is a good time to do it, and hey, while I am at it I can install that NEW External USB port that my seller sent to me in the mail since the first one arrived with a broken switch (switch for PT and EMU). So I very carefully put it all back together watching "Back to School" with Rodney Dangerfield on the laptop connected to the damn HDTV. I rubbed off all the stickey shit that was left over from the double sided sticky tape/foam that I used before and that took like forever. I use that in order to keep the external USB port firmly attached to the back of the PS3, AND to keep the ODE floating a bit OFF of the damn BR casing so there is airflow underneath. I have a lot of neat pics in case anyone is interested in seeing how I modded the hell out of my PS3.

SO, I finally get it all back together, AND it now has a brand NEW External USB board on the back with a working switch so I no longer need to choose between PT and Emu using a damn tweezer I keep in the room next to the PS3! I hook up the external power and see the red light come on, and then I hook up the external HDD and .... red light? RED FUCKING LIGHT! You have GOT to be kidding me! Seriously? I pull out the damn USB and reinsert it and I get a RED FUCKING LIGHT!! At this point I am really not very happy.... AT ALL! I am thinking, you know I went though two DAYS of shit and after getting it all to work now I can't even get a green light!? I need another Cappuccino Latte! LOL! :D

So After having my Cappuccino, which I drink a LOT of daily, I thought lets try again. I had this damn USB port REALLLLLLLY on there GOOD! I mean this damn thing had a tight fit like a virgin chick! After pulling the USB off the back of the PS3 I tried out the old board with the broken switch and I get.... a Green Light! Man, what the fuck! :D I take it off and try out the brand new board AGAIN and I get a RED LIGHT and nothing more. WOW, So out of TWO damn external ODE USB boards I got from this "Official Cobra Team" seller in China, one of them works but has a damn broken switch, and the other looks perfect, has a working switch, and has a broken USB port. What more can I say at this point? lol! :D I am floored! I try to get the damn switch off the boards by using my soldering iron and wouldn't you know, the new circuit boards nowadays are not like the ones in the 90s. These things have metal all the way through the board and rings on both sides making unsoldering them without proper Soldering and Unsoldering Stations a pain in the ass. After a while I just said fuck it, I don't have the proper equipment here in Cebu so I will do this when I get back to California.

So I put the old damn external USB port on the back of my PS3 yet AGAIN, power it up and yay the damn ODE works like a champ! I have been using it since and have not one single issue! So for those having issues with their ODEs, just save yourself a lot of time and unplug the wire from the inside of the PS3 and TRY to use the external power source. Had I done this it would have saved about 48 hours of my life, and made my life easier. lol

The end of my story is this, I thought that the damn Beta FW was the problem as that was when I began having issues with the PS3 freezing up. What it was, was the PSU was just tired of powering the ODE even though it worked fine for a month or so, and it just said fuck this. lol :D So I now have a perfectly working PS3 using Cobra ODE FW 2.0 *knocking on wood*, and I am patiently waiting for the proper FW 2.1 update which I will install when it comes out. Thanks for reading and have a nice day! lol :D

DarkKitarist likes this.
  16. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Damn I read through all that. 8-|
    LOL

So this is a bit strange as my v5 ODE requires both to be attached, the external AND internal power connector.
    And the external PCB they send you as replacement is probably for a older v3 or v4 board, although they look the same they are not, the v5 is different to the older external PCB's. So you can't mix them as you figured out. =-)

The PS3's internal PSU only have so much margin left so there comes a point when they age and just can't power the extra ODE anymore.

Anyway glad this are working fine now!
    Happy gaming!!!

17. 276
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

hahaha Well, thank you for reading. I appreciate it bro. yeah, I guess he sent me the old board as it doesnt work, and there are a few differences I can visually see but I though perhaps that it wouldn't matter. I guess it does. :p If the switch was easier to replace that would be nice as they as so damn fragile, but the boards that they use are similar to the final boards used in NeoGeo games era 1999-2003, so removing it is just more work then what it's worth.

Very strange that you need to use external power AND internal power. It seems like my PS3 freaks out when I do that and one overrides the other. Like the internal power says, "yo, I'm taking over from here", and they do not work well together. But yeah, sadly the PS3s PSU used to do the job fine but now it cannot. You never told me what the best option would be for an external power source. I won't be forever using this laptop to power it externally, so what would be a good external power source to use? Any links? (I hope you don't say universal Cellphone chargers) lol Those that we have here all have funny ass Christmas lights on them and I don't need my room glowing like a Christmas tree all night long every day.

Cheers

18. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

A USB charger of 1A or 2A from say your iPhone or iPad or any tablet or phone.
    So pretty much a good quality Universal Cellphone Charger. =-)

Fakk28 likes this.
  19. 72
    asapreta

asapreta Loyal Member

I have a bricked ODE (4.30a) that I as hard as I tried, I wasn't able to unbrick it.

The symptoms - it is installed on a 2001a console:

1) On both EMU/PT positions, when console is attached to power (and still on standby) GREEN Led blinks

2) If I put any BOOTLOADER version on the root of a FAT32 flashdrive, and do the procedure (remove power cable from console, attach the flashdrive on the USB Storage port of Cobra's external PCB then repower the console, the led will blink GREEN, PURPLE then goes off. It won't go RED as expected (nothing but the LDR.ROM file is on the flashdrive)
    3) No matter which MCU version I try to flash, it isn't recognized (the led blinks GREEN then goes off).
    4) Tried to short TP3/TP4 and power the console and the led goes GREEN but nothing attached to the Storage USB port of Cobra external PCB is recognized
    5) Tried to short TP3 and U5 pin 8. The same as above happens
    6) Tried to connect the Cobra with the USB A-A cable, nothing is detected on the PC.

As the bootloader seems to be programming, I thought it won't be that hard to unbrick this, but I may be wrong.

Any ideas?

20. 3
    aleks313

aleks313 Loyal Member

Hi. When i power up my ps3 the led becomes green for half a sec and then turns off. I have a v.4.20 board, i tried to use the ''Unbrick using USB method for v3.x and v4.x boards'' method: I power off my ps3, i wait some time, i power it on and immediatly connect the male to male cable from the clip-on PCB to my laptop but nothing happens, literally nothing. I tried to connect it when the led flashed , when the power of the ps3 was red, i even tried waiting some time, i tried all of those both in EMU and PT mode...
    It was working perfectly before i tried to update, then i messed something up, i don't remember.
    I'm really bad at soldering and since english isn't my first language i don't know what shorting means
    What can i do?