hit tracker

How to use SaveDataFiler

Discussion in 'Useful Tools & Tutorials' started by laramie14, Jan 24, 2015.

1. 254
    laramie14

laramie14 Loyal Member

Daycare Aide
    Okay, I swear I've seen this question like 12 times and I'm a little tired of rewriting huge paragraphs just so people can ask again without searching for it... Okay here we go..:

For ROMS:

1. Download a .3DS file called "BigBlueMenu.3DS".

2. Download a .CIA file called "BigBlueMenu.CIA".

3. Download a .CIA file called "savedatafiler.CIA".

4. Place the "BigBlueMenu.3DS" file on the Micro SD card. (*The one that goes inside of the RED Gateway Card*).

5. Place the CIA files on the SD card of your 3DS. (You can make a folder named CIA"s if you'd like).

6. Boot up the 3DS and go into gateway mode, Once in emuNAND, press "SELECT" to load the ROMS.

7. Load the ROM called "Title Manager".

8. Launch "Title Manager".

9. Go over to the second column, (SDMC) and locate the CIA files you placed on the SD card of your 3DS.

10. Once you locate the CIA files, press "A" to install them. (Yes, both BigBlueMenu and savedatafiler) .

11. Press the "HOME" button and you'll get to unwrap two things... Unwrap them.

12. Once unwrapped, launch the ROM you'd like to back up for the save. (Load it by pressing "SELECT").

13. Once it loads, DON"T LAUNCH THE GAME! Instead, launch the "savedatafiler.CIA" (* The icon will say "SAV eFL").

14.Once inside, there will be three columns, we only need the first and the third...

15. Now, to EXPORT a save, of course make sure the game is loaded, and then under the "USER" Column, it will say "CTR Card" That's the game you loaded.(Press "Y" to export).

16. To import a save, of course make sure the game is loaded, and then under the "SD" Column, it will say the exported save name, Find the one you want to import and press"A".

FOR .CIA's:
    1-11...

12. Launch "savedatafiler" and under the first column, "USER" locate the .CIA save. (This can be 00FFC,
    0055C, ect... as it depends on the game itself.)

13. Once you've located the save, Same rules apply, "Y" is for exporting.

14. Press "A" for importing Again, once you find YOUR save location only this time for importing, it will be in
    the "SD" Column.

EXTRA NOTES: THIS WILL NOT WORK IF YOU HAVE A GAME WITH A SAVE ENCRYPTION THAT IS HIGHER THEN THE GATEWAYS! that means if you saved that game on a 3DS that had a 7.x firmware or greater then it will show up as corrupt. There is no fix to this currently..

Side Note: This is what savedatafiler format looks like: YYYYMMDD(Hour)(Minute)(Second)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    zeruel85, GyroDragona and lemanuel like this.
  2. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

you stole my idea TT__TT

lol. in any case, you only explained what to do for extracting saves from roms. you still need to explain for cia games

3. 254
    laramie14

laramie14 Loyal Member

Daycare Aide
    I replied to a guy on doing it with .CIA's after I wrote this... -_- so i'll go back and edit it hahaha.

4. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Well, I asked in the other thread, but one thing I'd like to know is if there's any way to even know what's what with the CIA saves since they seem to just be a bunch of random numbers.

I'm wondering if this is a Gateway limitation or a SaveDataFiler limitation.

BTW, I'm not sure about import/export functionality. It seemed to me like it's actually reversed. As in you import into SaveDataFiler's structure from an existing save and you export from it to the game save. I can say this much, I imported the other day and have files under a "filer" directory that correspond to the games. I was trying to make another backup and hit import again and either nothing has changed since then (I'd swear I had played the game that I was particularly trying to back up since the first time) or it didn't bring it back to an older save or anything.

5. 3,760
    lemanuel

search it here: http://3ds.essh.co/ it's the title ID

6. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Doesn't seem to be. For instance, the one I'm currently most worried about is Shin Megami Tensei IV. On my legit system where I've bought the game (darn how I wish I could import saves from it) I put in countless hours as it was (and still didn't beat it.) I'm starting over with this one and am already quite a few hours in, but the point is I know it will be a lot of time and I want that save backed up thoroughly. Now, the game's title ID is 00040000000E5C00 for the US one (and there doesn't even appear to be a European one.) However, that is not what I have in SaveDataFiler.

SaveDataFiler.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind. Those must be CTR backups.

7. 3,760
    lemanuel

maybe I was mistaken. lol. I still haven't checked and I'm just talking by memory.

obviously the first numbers are the date and time of when you extracted the save. the others should be related to the game but I'll check it in a bit to be sure

8. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

Sorry, I added an edit. Apparently I hadn't actually backed up the CIA saves, so on that page the backup simply wasn't present. It takes a bit of figuring out though since you have to look at the digits before the end, discarding the last two (so my SMTIV was 00E5C instead of 00E5C00.

I just really think these programs need some serious interface improvements and not require that you look everything up online to figure out what's what.

9. 106
    liomajor

liomajor Loyal Member

OFFSET INSIDE ROM: 188

00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 > Repeating CTR Fail > Works with 3DS Explorer
    00 00 00 01 01 01 00 00 > 2.2.0-4 KeyY Method > Doesn't work with 3DS Explorer
    00 01 00 02 01 01 00 00 > 6.0.0-11 KeyY Method > Doesn't work with 3DS Explorer

To check up what encryption the game uses, you can use " rom_tool -i <name of rom>.3ds "

You can force using another encryption by hex edit the rom file until Gateway adds a feature for that!

More details are here:
    http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Savegames#2.0.0-2_Hashed_keyY_and_2.2.0-4_Savegame_Encryption

lemanuel likes this.
  10. 254
    laramie14

laramie14 Loyal Member

Daycare Aide
    I fill that! The way I ended up figuring out which is which, I backed up the save, then looked at what they all were, and deleted the save and spotted the difference. Of course, you most likely wont do that because of your progress.. BUT, you can back up you SD card and save all the saves and then delete them, so you can readd them after you delete them. :)

Yeah, the save name is actually when you made the save. It tells you the year, month, day I think...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  11. 639
    urherenow

urherenow Loyal Member

What about the extdata? I'm talking Mii Plaza progress and such. For the life of me, I can't restore it (00000218) to my N3DS and my system transfer screwed up. I've spent hours and hours looking at things and can't find a solution. There is a way to decrypt an entire SD card (although I haven't found a quick and dirty guide, I've read enough to infer it... something with SDinfo_gen) but then again, I can't find the instructions to re-encrypt said contents onto another console.

As I said, savedatafiler (at least the version I have now) doesn't do the trick. Not between an old 3DS XL and a N3DS XL, anyway...

Edit: Question... does running the padxorer command a second time actually reencript the file? I don't know of a way to get an xorpad on an N3ds yet, but suppose one of the tools is updated for that; Would running the command on an enencrypted file from an O3DS, using an xorpad file from an N3DS properly encrypt it for the N3DS?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  12. 254
    laramie14

laramie14 Loyal Member

Daycare Aide
    As far as I know, you can't get xorpads on a New 3ds yet, as for the extdata, I haven't messed around with
    that too much but i'd be more than happy to look into it and post any of my findings to help you.

13. 42
    Adhun

Adhun Loyal Member

Hello,

Where can i read tutorial on how to transfer a save file 3ds format to cia format (to be specific, i want my fantasy life 3ds save file to be compatible if i were to play in cia format)

Thank you

14. 9
    zcheez

zcheez Loyal Member

help

I am having problem trying to export my MH4U save..
    basically i have followed the instructions, but when i go into SaveDataFiler, under user section, the row for CTR card which should be the MH4U game that i have loaded beforehand, appears to be a broken user save data file type, hence i cant export this user save data.
    What should i do?

15. 201
    Faolan

Faolan Loyal Member

i have a sdf cia and csu. is there anyway to spoof the firmware so it'll work on cfw?

16. 53
    Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago Loyal Member

I didn't see this covered, sorry if it's been asked before. Does this work with importing game saves from different regions? For example, lets say I have a save game for Ultimate NES Remix, but the region is European. And then I have a USA ROM for Ultimate NES Remix. Can I successfully import the EUR savegame and have it work with the USA ROM?

Also, I load the game, then I load CTR SaveDataFiler, Revision 53176. Under User, I have
    Code:
    CTR Card -- broken --
    002FF -- broken --
    FF40A -- broken --
    00D5A -- broken --

Are all those -- broken --'s normal? For all four, for level, it shows -7. Maybe I need a newer revision of CTR SaveDataFiler?

17. 3,760
    lemanuel

For some games, it works. You just need to extract a save from both versions and since SDF creates a folder with the titleID of the game and the raw data inside, what you need to do is exchange those raw data files inside from one region to another.

Most broken's are normal except for CTR card (.3ds/.3dz rom). In that case, if it's a card 2 game (save inside the rom itself), you simply have to load the rom in the multirom menu first before opening SDF for the CTR card to not appear as broken.
    If it's a card 1 game (most games), you can follow this: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/

18. 53
    Spork Schivago

Thank you! According to http://www.3dsdb.com/ , it's a card 1 type game, Ultimate NES Remix is the one I want to transfer the saves from. What I did was load the European game using the Multi-ROM menu, then I went into SDF. That's when I saw the -- Broken -- for the CTR card. I'll follow the tutorial you sent me and see if anything changes.

Is the thread you linked me to just for importing them into e-Shop games? Also, because it's a ROM and not a cartridge, I don't need to use NTR Savegame Manager Plugin, right?

19. 3,760
    lemanuel

NTR save plugin is just another way to do it if you don't want to use SDF. But I won't really be able to help much with it since I never used it.
    As for that tutorial, it's mostly explaining how to take the save from a Card 1 game and then import it to eshop (.cia). But you can still follow the steps partially to know how to extract the save anyway.

First the removing from rom type 1 steps:

Then you have the steps to import to rom type 1:

I can't guarantee this will work perfectly since I adapted it just now from those steps and it's been a long time since I did it anyway. But it should work, at least the part about extracting the save.

20. 53
    Spork Schivago

Okay, I originally forgot to copy the save to 000400000FF40A00.sav. After that, I was successfully able to export. Now I just need to figure out how to import the European save to the USA ROM.

Sorry, cross posting again. Okay, the export was successful but with the import I get:
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]Failure !

result
    Level  : -7
    Summary: 4
    Module : 17
    Desc   : 561[/FONT]

This is what's on the SDCard
    Code:
    SDCARD:\filer\UserSaveData\20110922235509\00001321\Backup
    SDCARD:\filer\UserSaveData\20110922235509\00001321.dat
    SDCARD:\filer\UserSaveData\20110922235509\00001321_.dat