hit tracker

I think I'm going to give up modern gaming.

Discussion in 'Off Topic & General Discussion' started by Artlover, Jan 22, 2019.

1. 1,280
    Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Property Maintenance
    Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
    **Warning - Spoilers for some games like FO4 and FC5**

Can someone please tell me what the hell is wrong with games lately?

Let me start with Fallout 4. I was excited about FO4, until I played it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrible game. BUT, you are left wondering what happened to the fundamental core of what made FO games good: Choice. There is little real choice in the game. From the start of the game, you are forced to help The Minutemen. To bad Preston is such an unlikable, full of himself morally superior ass that just makes me wish I could help the raiders kill them all. In FO3 and FONV, you could choose to help the bad guys if you wanted. The choice here is Minutemen, BOS, Railroad and The Institute. The problem is, they are, in effect, all good factions, as all of them are sincerely trying to help humanity. That's not choice. It's also kinda small. Thank god for the DLC like Nuka World and Far Harbor, each of which are so massive, they could just about stand up as their own game. Probably the first and only time I have ever appreciated the concept of DLC

FarCry 5. Another game I was excited about, still I read the synopsis. You could have heard my eyes rolling back in my skull. Heartland of America fighting a religious cult. Now, I will admit, for as asinine as the plot was, they did a fairly decent job. But it was quite small and extremely repetitive. Also very frustrating at times. Like when the hunters start coming after you, and the music start playing. Just save yourself the time. Once the music start, just stop and let them get you right away, because you're wasting your time otherwise. DLC. Meh. Thank god I didn't buy the season pass. As there are only 3 DLC's, and all of them are exceptionally short, stupid and generally not worth it. Then I was browsing around the Xbox Store and saw Far Cry New Dawn. A continuation of FC5 a few years later. So I at first thought that finally there was a real worthy DLC for FC5. No, it's its own separate game. The f--k!? No, seriously, what the f--k?

Fallout 76. Oh boy. At first, I was excited about this too, until I found out it was an online multi player game only. I can only assume that what they were trying to do was make a make World of Warcraft but with a Fallout theme. Fair enough I guess, Except I don't remember anyone asking for such tripe. But I could see how it might appeal to some out there. Atleast it could have if it worked. I can't recall any game in the last decade that was so fundamentally broken. Are they trying to fix it. Sorta. Not really. I don't know. After a patch that was bigger then the entire god damned game, and it's still broken. Banning cheaters. Hey, that's fine. Except for how some of these bans are being sourced. That they are illegally scanning your computer outside of it's own folders, looking for cheat software, and banning people, even if said software is not even linked to the game. Banning people from the game for their youtube content. Balance issues. So they are going to remove those 2 shot legendary weapons from the world, but NOT take them away from anyone who already has them? Lets not even get into the other issues like the canvas bag and nuka rum fiascos. Up coming events. PvP. Yeah, the game in which the entire premise was players working together to build a new world. Seems like it's going to be Free 2 Play soon anyways, seeing as how physical copies are becoming harder to find on account of stores from EB games to Walmart have been pulling and sending back stock and Bethesda actually giving refunds to some of the nosier complainers.

Just Cause 4. Another game I was excited for. It's not bad. Better than anything else I've played recently. BUT, what the hell happened to the chaos? The fun of JC was going around and destroying everything. Now chaos is limited to specific enemy assets. So now there is no incentive or reason to stray past the scripted story mission. Sure, you can still visit every settlement and even destroy a few things. Has absolutely no purpose to do so. Aside from the bridge town, there is no reason to go to any settlement in the game. I haven't even finished it. Not sure I will.

Something is really f--king wrong when games like Goat Simulator and Cuphead are more fun and engaging to play.

I think, at least I hope, the next video game crash is coming soon. That all of the AAA studios out there have given up on quality and their fan bases, instead pushing out obvious money grabs for no other reason than to steal money from their base. The industry needs to be cuilled. With Bethesda, Ubisoft and EA topping of the list of companies that should be literally be burnt to the ground, and the people running them, including their entire families should be ridiculed and run out of town and forced to live in a tar pit and eat rocks.

Please. Someone give me some god damned hope. Give me a reason not to chuck my Xbox One into a lake. Because I really am just about done with this shit.

2. 2
    elcoldtown

elcoldtown Loyal Member

Editor-in-chief of RAWG
    Home Page:
    https://rawg.io/@elct
    The solution is not giving up modern gaming since Cuphead is pretty new too. Just try to focus on games with better gameplay and more engaging content overall. Modern AAAs for the most part are just fast-food or blockbuster movies—fun/tasty in the process but you feel empty after you are done and also kinda guilty since you could've found something better to do.

3. 1,280
    Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Property Maintenance
    Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
    Meh. I've largely just gone back to turning on my old original xbox and playing lots of emulation.

Specifically, Mother 3 eng translation. That and firing up the 360 for some of the older games like FO3, FNV, all the old Mass effect games. I'm struggling to turn the Xbone on for anything anymore.