hit tracker

It's the least I could do for you.

Discussion in 'Off Topic & General Discussion' started by butnut, Oct 14, 2011.

1. 156
    butnut

butnut Loyal Member

IIE!
    Why do you think people always say "It's the LEAST I could do for you" after someone helps them. Shouldn't people want to do the MOST they can for someone who has helped them?
    I mean at the very least people should do something that equals the deed that was preformed for them if it is within they're capability... or am I wrong?

2. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    If people say that "it's the MOST I could do for you" when thy have merely done jackshit for you, then you'll actually think "What the heck? Is that it?! Well, that's lousy of them".

Therefore, it has become a habit for everyone to say "It's the LEAST I could do for you" - so that it makes the person who has been helped out trust the one who helped him/her.

3. 161
    Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Loyal Member

They don't mean it as "this is the least I will do for you (or I will do this but then don't ask me for a favor afterwards)" they mean it as "it's the least I could do, if you need more help let me know." I just depends on who you're saying it to. I know if friends or family members need help from me, I will. I don't expect them to do something in return to make up for it or anything like that. It's kind of a mutual "I have your back when you need it" kinda thing. At least, that's what I think.

4. 561
    AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

That is just a mistake many people make. Not all americans make it though and do say " I couldn't care less."

On topic. I believe it is a way of humbling oneself to others. Of course we could do LESS, but under the circumstances we don't want to do less. While we couldn't do more at the time, we want to let the recipient know that we will try to do more in the future as a show of charity. The gravity of how little we actually do sometimes is what is humbling so we say it is the least we could do.

Although I don't think many think that deeply about the phrase. This is how I understand it.

5. 23
    Captin

Captin Loyal Member

The person who is doing the helping should NOT require or expect ANYTHING in return. So anything the helped person does, even the "least" thing they can do, is reward enough.

One should help others without any thought of getting anything in return then whatever you DO get is a bonus.

6. 156
    butnut

butnut Loyal Member

IIE!
    I truly agree with you, please believe me I do, I believe a favor should be done only because it needs to be done, without expectations of any thing in return.

For example:

person "A" has 100 apples and person "B" has 0 apples.

Person "A" GIVES person "B" 50 apples and TRULY EXPECTS NOTHING IN RETURN.

Person "B" believes that person "A" TRULY EXPECTS NOTHING IN RETURN.

When person "B" has the means to do so, shouldn't person "B" feel obligated to return at least 50 apples to person "A" for no other reason than gratitude?

Lets say some time has passed and person "B" wants to show grattitude to person "A" but is still having a hard time and can only spare 4 apples.

As a show of gratitude Person "B" offers person "A" 1 apple.

This next part is what I don't understand.

If Person "B" is indeed grateful and can easily spare 4 apples why does he/she chose to offer only 1 apple?

that is doing the least you can for someone, giving them 4 apples would be doing the most you can.

7. 161
    Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Loyal Member

It does make more sense to say it the other way but if we did say it that way, then we wouldn't have the song "I Could Care Less" by Devildriver. :p

As for what region you're from I don't know but we just interpret things a bit different is all. For us when we say "It's the least I could do" we just mean it as I could do this for you without a problem and if you need more help let me know. The way we see "It's the most I could do" we see it as doing that thing that you did to help them was was the absolute most force you could exert for helping them and can do no more. My wording doesn't sound the greatest but I can't think of a better way to explain it. I suppose you think of it as quantity while we think of it as force. If you say least with quantity then it would sound bad because it would be the assumption of a lower number rather than higher. If you go by force with least then it would mean this is the least force I could do to help, meaning they would have more force to exert if you needed more help.

It is pretty odd how it comes to be that way though.

8. 891
    Digital-Spooker

Digital-Spooker Loyal Member

Student.
    When I say 'it's the least I could do' I use it when I mean, It literally is the least I can do for someone, without being a prick and saying 'do it yourself' :p

I also use couldn't care less, and could care less. Couldn't Care Less I reserve for when I feel like trolling a topic or thing, usually when I use it, I mean it's trash and really isn't worth talking about.

when I say I could care less, I mean, I literally could care even less about a particular item and topic, I typically say this if someone approaches me and talks about something I'm not interested in, and usually use it to be nice of saying 'leave me alone' without sounding like an ass :p

the other saying that, I hear all the time and love to torture people about is when someone describes a horrible taste they say "It tastes like ass!" to which I always respond with "and how many asses have you been eating?"

9. 156
    butnut

butnut Loyal Member

IIE!
    That is a strange one. And ya got me thinking now...

What about when some people say "I don't give a fu*k." This phrase has the same meaning as "I don't care"

but I have seen it become modified into "I gives a fu*k".

10. 1,232
    Misfit

Misfit Loyal Member

Here in australia we don't say "It's the least I can do", we say "No wuccas Biatch" By we I mean me. Really though, I don't really like being praised for anything and generally say "No worries"