hit tracker

MadCatz promises faster, cheaper wireless gaming adapter for PS3 and 360

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 16, 2009.

By Zeus on Nov 16, 2009 at 4:25 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    <strong>PRESS RELEASE: Mad Catz® Ships Wireless-N Gaming Adapter for Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 Consoles</strong>

Wireless-N Technology Provides Fast, Stable Connection over Long Distances for Superior Online Play

San Diego, November 16, 2009

Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. (AMEX/TSX: MCZ), a leading worldwide third-party interactive entertainment accessory provider, today announced the shipping of the Wireless-N Gaming Adapter for use with Microsoft® Xbox 360 and Sony® PlayStation 3 videogame consoles.

Connecting via the Ethernet (WAN) port on either console, the Wireless-N Gaming Adapter (compatible with 802.11b/g/n networks) proves ideal for online play and content downloading. When using with a Wireless-N network, the Adapter offers a strong and stable connection to your Wireless-N broadband router/access point and delivers up to three times the range and speed (Up to 150Mbs) when compared to other ‘G’ gaming adapters running at speeds up to 54Mbs. Simple, yet versatile, the Wireless-N Gaming Adapter will also connect to any Ethernet ready device to offer instant Wireless-N connectivity!

Shipping with a 3.3ft Ethernet cable, gamers have the freedom to position their Adapter in a location that offers a premium wireless reception, negating the need to house in the direct vicinity of their console.

The Wireless-N Gaming Adapter offers an effortless setup procedure thanks to the Quick Setup Button, which provides seamless gaming console integration when used in conjunction with a router or access point featuring WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup button).

Darren Richardson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz commented, “With more HD entertainment content and online gaming being delivered via Xbox Live® and PSNâ„¢, we anticipate the need for Wireless-N gaming adapters will increase. Our Wireless-N Adapter allows Xbox 360 users to access the network wirelessly and for PS3 users to upgrade their wireless technology to the faster N standard.â€

The Wireless-N Gaming Adapter for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 is available at the Mad Catz online store (http://store.gameshark.com or http://www.gamesharkstore.net) and is shipping now across North America and key European territories retailing for an MSRP of $79.99 and £49.99/€59.99.

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 16, 2009.

1. 1,132
      crono

crono Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      Lets hope someone dares to buy it,it may be blocked out next update,if your lucky enough not to get banned for not buying only M$ authorized wifi adapters. Way to go MadCatz and M$ dont **** this up whit your monopoly aditude!!!

2. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

It uses the ethernet port, there is little chance of blocking this.

I have a similar device and they are useful, I currently use it for my downstairs PC/xbox (XBMC).

However, being a madcatz product I wonder what the actual product will be like.

3. 1,132
      crono

crono Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      Ah,just like the old one for the old xbox,worked same way.

I thougt it did used the usb on back this time.

4. 3,798
      iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
      i bet a linksys wrt310n router is cheaper..

toss in ddwrt and youve got yourself a gaming adapter that is 100x better then the madcatz one and it will likely last 30years longer.

5. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

i may have to give this a try, my PS3 is the only console in my living room that can't access wifi consistantly (the Wii, 360, PSP, Iphone, laptops, and Studio Hybrid all work fine from the same location), so an N adapter would be a god send so long as it's cheap. Shame I can't use the dongle that came with the router :(

6. 2,211
      Cue

Cue Loyal Member

A wireless N ethernet bridge sounds rather silly to me.
      You would be capped by the 360s slow 100BASE-TX transfer rate. You would get 1/6th of what the N standard offers. A theoretical maximum of only 100Mbits/s.

the only time you would get the peak performance for wireless N is connecting this bridge to the PS3s 1000BASE-TX ethernet port and you would get your theoretical maximum of 600Mbits/s out of the 1000Mbits/s the port offers.

For the 360 you are better off with the more expensive usb adaptor which would give you a theoretical maximum of 480Mbits/s which is still limited by the USB transfer rate.

Why, what happens? Try setting up a static ip and avoid ip conflicts with other devices . if it isn't consistent i.e. it connects one day and then doesn't another day my guess is an ip conflict with another device. Try checking your router logs to see what is happening. You've probably done all this already so ignore this if you have. Good luck.

7. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Aye, sadly done all that, even had it so that nothing else at all is connected and using a static IP address in the of 133 (usualy have the PS3 on 33 and 360 on 36 so I don't for get :) ), it only works if I move the console out of the room so it's nearer the router, or drag the router out onto the landing so it's hanging down the stairs (which gets much grief fromt he missus as while she can navigate a floor covered in her hundreds of bloody shoes that she can't be arsed to put away as she is apparently wearing them all, but can't see a big glowing box :) ). I'm a stuborn bugger tho, as much as I want to play the GoW3 demo which is still stuck on 52%, I refuse to give in and move the console upstairs :). I'm just going to get one of the powerpoint network adapters I think, as if nothing else it will make the problem a moot point for any other potential issues.

8. 984
      WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

$79.99? That's retarded, for $20 more I'll just buy the Microsoft one. Stupid Madcatz.

9. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

This can be used on any device with an ethernet port unlike the MS one.

10. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

This one will probably be a normal wireless bridge making it compatible with any device that has an ethernet port. The Microsoft device will only be compatible with the 360.

11. 488
      phallius

phallius Loyal Member

To me, this is absolutely useless for the PS3 considering it already has wifi. I wouldn't buy anything for the 360 unless it's from M$. That means I won't be touching this product, even if I were Bill Gates rich!

12. 2,358
      QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

You're not very bright, are you?

Anyway, it would probably be cheaper to get an N router and hack it or just get an N bridge.

But this would give you Wireless-N speeds versus Wireless-G speeds.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2009
    13. 2,211
      Cue

Cue Loyal Member

why is everbody telling spidercyde the same thing? I happen to think he is right. this is a ripoff if you plan to use it on the 360, even though I think the MS N adaptor is also a ripoff at least that allows peak speeds closer to the N standard because it's USB. You can buy similar wireless N bridges for ~$50 and they are made by reputable network manufacturers so to me $80 for a madcatz bridge is still too expensive and I think the only reason they think they can charge that much is because gamers unnecessarily bought the overpriced MS ones so why wouldn't they buy this at $20 cheaper.

14. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Yep. It's a ripoff for a single port bridge. A good wireless-n bridge is nice if you want to connect multiple devices with it. $20 savings for a single port bridge made by a questionable, at best, accessory brand is certainly not a good deal.