hit tracker

Mechinstaller-Phoenix

Discussion in 'Xbox Retro Hacking / Mods & General Discussion' started by catfish, Dec 8, 2003.

1. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

If anyone gets the installer to start PBL and PBL freezes, check the boot.cfg file and verify the BIOS is good.
    Dbl-check "required.txt" for sizes and path locations for files and boot order for the edited BIOS.
    There are several packages in the "usual places" which contain a working boot.cfg file. Obtain this and use the keys in XBtool to edit your BIOS.

The BIOS versions listed in "required.txt" is only for my beta-tester to assure compatibilty with all versions. Anyone making the package for themselves only needs a BIOS compatible with their own system.

2. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

I also forgot to mention,
    If u want to avoid the ST.DB corruption causing error 21, make 26 copies of E:\Phoenix\default.xbe and rename each one with 1 letter of the alphabet, a-z. ("e" should already exist)
    This will only prevent error 21, not the other type of corruption.
    Would anyone object to this being done automatically in the official release? It only consumes about 8 meg of space, but kinda clutters up the E:\Phoenix dir.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2003
  3. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

If anyone can confirm a successful install with dash 5659 with dir C:\xboxdashdata.17cdc100 , I would like to know about it.
    Also, dash 4627 (no xboxdashdata dir).

4. 0
    Hajaz

Hajaz Guest

right. I had the mechfonts installed manually as described in bluhdebluhs thread on X-S.
    Now, i just overwrote the old mechfonts with the ones you just posted, and while the phoenix option still shows in msdash, it just jumps straight back to msdash when i select it.
    Anything i overlooked?

5. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

yeah, the readme file and this entire thread...
    The paths have changed, rename E:\feenix to E:\Phoenix and all is well.

U can also make a bootable CD now and gain access that way.

6. 0
    Hajaz

Hajaz Guest

ok, cheers

7. 0
    shag

shag Guest

Congrats first of all..
    I just have a quick qn regarding the above comment about the boot order.. I'm trying to create my own bootable cd and am a bit unclear on what you mean by

Anyways, what I did was habibi signed evoxdash.xbe and renamed it to catfish.xbe. Then renamed the original evoxdash.xbe to default.xbe. And place these two xbe's along with evox.ini onto a cdrw. Booting up with this cd in the drive works, it loads up evox. Sometimes it doesnt but i suspect that is due to the cdrw.
    I also tried habibi signing pbl 1.3.5i and renaming it to catfish.xbe.. This also works.. ie. causes evox to load..
    I cannot get it to boot without a habibi signed xbe named catfish.xbe on the cd.

So how does it actually work? Does it check for the file catfish.xbe which must be habibi signed, then loads the default.xbe? Originally I thought it would execute catfish.xbe, but from signing the pbl 1.3.5i and renaming it catfish.xbe, it doesn't.

Thanks,
    Shag

8. 0
    shag

shag Guest

oops.. im wrong..
    it does execute the pbl that i signed..
    must've confused myself by all the attempts in creating a bootable cd :p

9. 0
    shag

shag Guest

hmm.. this is confusing me even more...
    ok the cd i have 3 files..
    catfish.xbe -> habibi signed evox
    default.xbe -> audio signed pbl 1.3.5i
    evox.ini

when i boot off this cd it tries to load default.xbe...
    i'm getting some strange results here...

could you clarify what is suppose to happen? i'm gonna do some more testing..

thanks,
    shag

10. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

The fonts will allow a retail DVD to load, this file is always named "default.xbe".
    They check for for the presence of "catfish.xbe" before running default.xbe. If found, then habibi key is used.
    *edited for accuracy, thanks shag*

The fonts only patch the public key when Live is selected or when it detects "catfish.xbe" on the DVD. They also appear to check both xbe's to make sure they are xbe's but only "default.xbe" needs to be habibi-signed.

11. 0
    shag

shag Guest

hi, thanks for the reply.. i have some very strange results.. in my testing i'm trying to load xbmp.
    1. i first habibi signed evoxdash.xbe and named it catfish.xbe.
    2. copied catfish.xbe and all the xbmp onto the cdrw.
    3. boot off the cd and get this error about your xbox needs servicing..
    4. so i go and habibi sign the xbmp default.xbe.
    5. boot off cd again, and now it loads xbmp!
    6. hmm.. ok, so i decided to remove catfish.xbe, renamed it to catfish.old..
    7. burnt the cd again
    8. boot off it, now it wont boot the cd..

from your reply, you mention that it should execute catfish.xbe? but it doesn't for me.. i've tried different combinations with same result so far..
    all i can say is weird...
    :confused:

12. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

make sure the CD is made from an xISO image and not normal ISO/UDF.
    Also, default.xbe needs to be habibi-signed, I did some more tests from DVD and that's what appears to run first.
    I'll go back and fix all my previous mistakes, as well as update the readme in the first post

oh yeah, I can get Evo-X to run now, but only from optical media. I even copied the file from the DVD to my Xbox and it gets error 21 as well as a M$ signed Live dashboard.

13. 337
    Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    Catfish, whats up?

Hey man, drop me a mail some time! I wanna pick your brain!

Morden.

14. 0
    GKrobo

GKrobo Guest

I juz left my XBOX unplugged overnight...No clock loop to report...straight to setting clock...no network cable or anything...seems like a tweaked version of the manually installed mechinstaller fonts :D

15. 0
    Agent Orange

Agent Orange Guest

excellent to hear, GK!

16. 0
    shag

shag Guest

cool man.. well i think u can have any habibi signed xbe named catfish.xbe in there.. so you don't need to make a copy of default.xbe and name it catfish.xbe..
    since i remember i had signed pbl 1.3.5i and named it catfish.xbe, then had evox's default.xbe in there, and evox loaded fine.. (NOTE: i couldn't get pbl 1.3.5i to load from testing.. it looks for the boot.cfg file, but doesn't seem to search it's current directory (D:\ ) instead it looks for P:\boot.cfg if I remember correctly)

and oh.. i've been using nero to burn the cdrw.. as UDF, and i check that xbox checkbox.. seems to work ok..

ill be doing more testing when i have time..

cheers,
    shag

17. 0
    Hajaz

Hajaz Guest

hmmm

i just tried signing crimsonskies (pal version) 's default.xbe with xbedump (xbedump.exe default.xbe -habibi).
    For some reason it reports the xbe's integrety as false after signing it.
    i put it back in the gamedir and made a copy of it witch i renamed to catfish.xbe. made an iso with craxtion.
    burned it to a dvd-rw

when i boot the game straight from msdash the xbox does recognise the disc as i get the ms screen but right after that it goes into error 21 and a green-red flashing led.

So has anywone actually managed to get Crimson skies to work using this method?

18. 0
    morpheous1777

morpheous1777 Guest

I just noticed that the package is on xbins (it even has all the questionable files), so it should help out the newbs allot

19. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

Guys, the package on Xbins is incorrect.

DO NOT USE IT!

you have been warned...

*edit*
    the files appear to work fine, although BIOS'es are a bit large. U can use this package to obtain the "required" files for my zip and it should work fine.
    In case anyone wonders what is wrong with the xbins release besides the BIOS size, it's the directory structure.
    Some directories were omited that will cause errors when restoring or "forcing" a dashboard install.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2003
  20. 0
    Agent Orange

Agent Orange Guest

Good thing I didn't try it yet.... Who released it?