hit tracker

Mechinstaller-Phoenix

Discussion in 'Xbox Retro Hacking / Mods & General Discussion' started by catfish, Dec 8, 2003.

1. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

OK, the package in the "usual" place has been removed (thank u very much guys from the "usual" place), and the original from here put in it's place.
    I'm no longer worried about ppl messing up their Xbox.
    If anyone wants to upload just the required files, feel free.
    Upload your files with a name something like "Joe's catfish required files" or maybe even "Joe's_catfish_M7_expansion" (to describe the BIOs inside)
    Again, I only ask that it be tested before being released. And please make the BIOS'es 256k.
    One more request... If u plan on distributing the entire package, keep all my files intact, including the empty directories.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2003
  2. 0
    dfa

dfa Guest

Hey man, I think this is the great package I've finally been looking for, but I seem to be having a problem locating a "requirement."

i'm not going to say the exact name because I'm not sure if it's actually allowed. It's in the requirements.txt file, and it is the first required .bin file.

i've looked in all the "usual" places but I can't seem to find it.

I'm probably totally way off base here, and in the wrong topic, but just looking for some help i guess.

thanks!

3. 0
    gamera

gamera Guest

Will the full package ever be put in "the Usual places"?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2003
  4. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

The swapless audio exploit has been made as stable as the original. Read up on it here:
    http://forums.maxconsole.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717

For those using my installer who can't hex-edit, I've posted them here.
    Copy E:\Phoenix to E:\ and rename "e" to "default".
    Replace your current swapless.DB in E:\Phoenix\originals with the one below. Select "re-install CD/swapless exploit" to activate.

5. 0
    kev315

kev315 Guest

help

I'm new to this. I have been looking around for a copy of catfish including the required files but haven't found one. Could someone help me find this please or tell me how ro prepare the two 256k bios files??

6. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

Read the whole thread, the installer is in the 3rd post and the details are in the rest.

7. 0
    pdxz

pdxz Guest

HDD Swap?

Catfish,

Beautiful job.

2 questions for you, that I think would benefit noobs that have less than hands on experiance (myself included):

Hotswapping:

Mainly for those of us that don't have an action replays, memory card, or even MA...

Can you use the hdd hotswap trick, dump the files on the xbox hd, and then load them directly from the hd w/o a memory card?

I'm still guessing that I'll need to buy MA to actually boot the savegame itself, even if directly off the hd.

click here for the hdswap i'm talking about.

Upgrading to a bigger HD

I want to make sure I have an ultra clean copy of my original drive so I can throw it back in if the shit really goes down. As I understand it you typically would want evox installed on your hard drive before you attempt to upgrade to a bigger one (self defeating for my purpose) so you can format F.

Step 2
    Turn off your mod-chip if you have one.Power up your Xbox and load the hacked save "Inst Phoenix". Click "Backup EEPROM" immediately.
    If you are reading this while running the installer, click here and gather your Xbox EEPROM info.You can also transfer your contents of the Xbox to your PC. If this is a new mod, now would be the time to clone the drive to a larger one and keep the original for a backup.

Now you mention transfering the contents of your xbox to the pc... via ethernet/ftp I'm assuming? Also, is this a clean/super virgin backup?

Also, you mention this being the ideal time to clone the drive to a bigger one... is this essentially the prime point to hit a tutorial like:

click here

I guess the money question is, does your installer format f: via evox in step 3? Or can you continue the install normally and then deal w/ F: once its all done?

Many thanks again for such a solid package!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2003
  8. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

Thank u for the compliment.

Your question about hot-swapping...
    Yes, hot-swapping can be done with my installer, but it's alot easier and can very handy once it's on a memcard.
    I would use Linux to transfer the files. Ed's Debian 0.4.1 has the ability to boot into a very nice GUI on your PC without needing to be installed. The newer versions may also support this.
    If u want all the features of my installer, then MA is needed. It is used to run the font installer/decompressor and it also contaiins the dashboard updater required to install dash 4920.
    If you're sure your dash is 4920, u can use hot-swap to manually install everything. Use the decompressed fonts posted earlier in this thread (follow the instructions). Copy the Phoenix dir from the gamesave to E:\ and then make a copy of "default.xbe" and name it "e" . (after u have obtained all the required files)

Now about upgrading the HD...
    U need to mod your box to obtain the EEPROM info required to gernerate a password for a new drive. I can't think of any other way to do it without desoldering the EEPROM from the motherboard.
    If u run my installer, I have created HTML pages within the game-save. They have direct links to all the important files and if u can connect via Internet Explorer, u can copy the contents of your Xbox to your PC quite easily.
    The tutorial in the link u provided is missing a step (typical), so I've decided to re-post my guide for upgrading from a stock HD, look for it in Xbox general chat.

As for formatting options, both th installer and the default installation have format options for F: and G:. There is also a rebuild E: option which will copy the mechsave and a few empty dirs to X:, format E: and then rebuild the dir structure from the copied files.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2003
  9. 0
    pdxz

pdxz Guest

Many thanks for the great reply... looks like I'm on my way to a catfish xbox! :D

10. 0
    pdxz

pdxz Guest

error 21 haunts me!

Quick catchup.. tried every variation i could think of for this and several other ma packages.. every single time i get an error 21 right when i load the exploit. I've tried everything I can think of.. the only thing I notice that strikes me as odd is the action replay software. It reports the savegame as having 212blocks while on the pc, and when it's copied to the memory card its around 208. Once its copied to the xbox its a diff number, and if i bring it back again its different still. They are all small deviations... could this be the source of my agonizing pain? How can i be sure?

Many thanks all!

11. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

12. 0
    pdxz

pdxz Guest

Looks like I made my life even more interesting... I was reading a tutorial on xbox-scene that mentioned needing to upgrade to live1.0 for the mech exploits to work (aparently it was a really old tut). I let it upgrade and now i have dash: 1.00.5659.03

How fuxored am i?

*lol*

13. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

you're not...
    My installer has this situation in mind. Make sure u obtain the required files and MA will be able to downgrade your dash to 4920, U need to get the entire package onto the HD and avoid your error 21 issue first.

*edit*
    what game title updgraded u to 5659? MA?

14. 0
    pdxz

pdxz Guest

Okay, the xip files you are refering to. I thought they were actually from the xbox itself though? Obviously can't grab them until my box is running evox, so i'm assuming they are avilable by some other means. Know of any packages off hand that have them? I think i've downloaded verything from the usual places and still havn't seen them.

Also, how would i know if my box is a beast pack that isnt going to work with the package?

Many thanks again catfish!

15. 0
    pdxz

pdxz Guest

After more research it may be possible i have the wrong version of mech assault (didn't even realize there were more than one). If i can track down an older version i can exploit into evox and then download the .xip files for use w/ your installer.. at least thats the working thought.

woO!

16. 0
    pdxz

pdxz Guest

*sigh*

tried catfish and mechinstallwithevox on two different xbox's and 4 different copies of ma (yes, 4). Also, grabbed a copy of 007 AUF, tried morden's installer as well as 007_with_evox_installer, and 007_withraincoat.

error 21 every single time.

Am i somehow running an upgraded kernel being such a new box?

xb stats:

17. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

Stop using that AR memory unit and it should work.

Error 21 = game-save exploit is functioning but files are missing/corrupted/signed incorrectly.

U have 2 choices... replace the memcard or hot-swap the files in.

U CANNOT obtain the 2 xips from a system with dash 5659.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2003
  18. 0
    pdxz

pdxz Guest

err21

yep. it was the AR memory card... piece of junk. I'll see what I can do now.. It was XBL that upgraded me to the new dash btw.

19. 0
    tohyk

tohyk Guest

hi catfish and pdxz,
    i am noobs and just got a new xbox box with these config,
    K:1.00.5530.01
    D:1.00.5659.03
    mfg 2003-11-05

is there a way to downgrade to 4920 using hot swap method you metion without using any games since mine doesn't came with it.I got a copy of slayer which contains(i think ) 4920 , just not sure which files to overwrite.

Thank you all.

20. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

Sure, anyone can downgrade with hot-swap.
    I don't recommend it though. Your safest bet is to hot-swap a game-save exploit in and gain access that way. If u mess that up, the only problem is the game-save exploit won't work. If u mess the downgrade up, error 21 is possible, causing more grief than it's worth.

Do some research and u may find that your kernel version (5530) will probrably prevent Phoenix BIOS Loader from running. http://forums.maxconsole.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=721
    Obtain a game-save exploit (without PBL) and buy the appropriate game, it will save u alot of headaches.

If u must hot-swap, use Linux to transfer the files.