hit tracker

Media Player update adds support for 4K video on PS4 Pro

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Mar 27, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Mar 27, 2017 at 11:28 AM
  1. 25,230
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    New functionality out tomorrow also supports VR videos in 4K

Starting tomorrow, the Media Player app is getting an update to support 4K video playback on PlayStation 4 Pro.
    [​IMG]
    Finally, you can use that new 4K TV Set that you have hooked up to your PS4 PRO console for more than just gaming, you can watch those movies you somehow ended up with in 4K format from your USB HDD or STICK, so start downloading and enjoy watch your 4K movies!
    So will you be enjoying this new feature on your Sony PlayStation 4 Pro, or do you watch your 4K movies, some other way instead?

NEWS SOURCE: Media Player update adds support for 4K video on PS4 Pro (via) PlayStationBlog

Last edited: May 23, 2018

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Mar 27, 2017.

1. 363
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

i thought the PS4 launch models supported 4K but only playing movies.

2. 25,230
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      There was only 4K Photo mode, and on the PS4 PRO it only supports 'streaming 4K video', up until now, you can use external storage for it.

Unlike the Xbox One Slim, there is no model of PS4 with 4K Blu-Ray drive, so there is still no way to play physical spinning discs containing 4K video yet on the any model of the PS4 including the Pro.

3. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I still think that was an idiotic move, one of the reasons I ended up with the xbox one s over the ps4 pro was because I wanted a 4k bd player of some kind.

Considering that theyre also a movie studio, you would have thought they would want to support a format which could help them.

I wouldnt be surprised if Sony delayed adding video support due to piracy concerns, despite it possibly being the only practical way allot of people will be able to enjoy 4k video on the ps4.

4. 893
      wrathchild

wrathchild Loyal Member

It would be a decent player if it wasn't for the fact that it can't play the audio on 90% of my videos. If it can't play "all" media files then it is not a "true" media player. Just saying

5. 25,230
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Yeah Audio Codecs are limited, so that Sony can run their watermark detecting software on it, and stop playback of 'pirated material' :)