hit tracker

Microsoft’s xCloud service streams Xbox games to PCs, consoles, and mobile devices

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Paul Smart, Oct 8, 2018.

By Paul Smart on Oct 8, 2018 at 7:12 PM
  1. 180
    Paul Smart

Paul Smart Staff Member MaxConsole News Team

Available for public trials in 2019
    [​IMG]

The end of the era of dedicated gaming consoles is soon coming to close, the next-gen of gaming will be 'server-cloud-racks' streaming your AAA+ games to wherever you are and whatever you are using. Imagine playing Xbox games on your PlayStation, well that is happening sooner than later, with public trials by Microsoft starting in 2019 for their Project xCloud system, check it out below:
    So what do you think? - Is dedicated console gaming finally coming to its death? - Is this the wave of the future, now with WiFi 6 recently announced, which also is starting in 2019 and it promises less lag, and more people having gigabit internet in their homes, we might just be nailing down the coffin shut finally on are be-loved consoles, so use them while you can, as death is staying over them!

NEWS SOURCE: Microsoft’s xCloud service streams Xbox games to PCs, consoles, and mobile devices (via) TheVerge

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Paul Smart, Oct 8, 2018.

1. 1,272
      Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Property Maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Isn't this the Holy Grail of what the software industry has been trying to achieve. The end user no longer possesses anything at all. Not even a digital download on their local console. Pretty much piracy proof.

But I have a question.

Are they going to stream every game forever? I doubt it. What happens when they decide to drop whatever game. Will it be made available as a digital download or physical copy to users who are still playing it? I doubt that too. I suspect when games are retired, users will be SOL. And anyone who complains will be told "Didn't you read the user agreement? It clearly states your payment is for a temporary lease to access content while it remains available. Availability will be guaranteed only for a period of time specified by the developer and may vary depending on game. Once a game is removed from the library, it will no longer be accessible. No refunds. Welcome to the future, now piss off."

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it.

All we need now is controllers with fingerprint readers on the thumb sticks to make sure only the specific individual who actually paid for this temporary lease can actually play it. Because you know, your friend didn't pay for it, so why should he be allowed to come visit you at your house and play on your StreamBox for free.
      :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

2. 25,410
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Netflix does it all the time removing full seasons and movies get purged all the time on yearly or quarterly basis. Welcome to the era of book burning!

Artlover likes this.
    3. 1,272
      Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Property Maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      True, but there may be differences here.

Which raises another question.

What is the pay structure going to look like?

Netflix, you aren't paying for access to specific shows. You're paying for general access to their service and all content.

IF that is the model Microsoft goes with, if might not be so bad, so long as the cost is reasonable and fair.

But I suspect it's going to be more insidious. If not flat out making you pay for each game individually at retail price (which I'm sure will be the end goal at some point), then I'm willing to bet there will be tiers. With new releases and AAA titles being reserved to the highest price tier, and older titles and lesser titles will be in the lower cost tiers.

I can see no end to the ways they can screw with the end users. Pay structure based on playback device. IE: Playing on a phone using the phone's touch screen instead of a xbox one controller. Since that would suggest that you would need to be playing through a specifically programmed front end. Cross platform surcharge. "Forza 7 detected PS4 - copyright royalty surcharge applied. See user agreement for details on cross platform surcharges." Oh wait, I know,. "Halo detected Wii - Programming surcharge for actually making us have to write a front end for kiddy platform we despise".

Doesn't matter. In the end, no matter how this plays out, the end user is going to be the big loser.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    4. 6,629
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

The weird part is where I hear people say ‘LOL who buys discs, get Netflix’, despite the very obvious flaws of relying solely on services like these.

As of now I have access to four different (legal) streaming services (Netflix, Prime, NowTV Movies and Sky Boxsets) but I still I regularly find a film or tv series I want to watch isn’t on them.

Artlover likes this.