hit tracker

Microsoft: 'No plans' to release an Xbox One without Kinect

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 26, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Feb 26, 2014 at 2:05 AM
  1. 25,750
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    'We believe Kinect is an absolutely integral part of the Xbox One experience'.

So, if you were looking forward to a Kinect-less Xbox One, don't get your hopes up, as it's probably not coming.

[​IMG]

Microsoft has clarified it has "no plans" to begin selling Xbox One without the Kinect motion-sensor.

According to Xbox UK marketing chief Harvey Eagle, "Kinect is an absolutely integral part of the Xbox One experience", so removing it would make no sense. He also cited Xbox One's Upload Studio as one example of how gamers are embracing the device.

Here's the report:

So, what do you think?

NEWS SOURCE: Microsoft no plans to release an Xbox One without Kinect (via) EuroGamer

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      but there again ms never planned on making an xbox one which anyone with a brain would buy and their always online, retail as digital plans were "impossible to remove" and if i remember correctly the system couldn't be operated without kinect even though now its only needed once to start the machine for the first time and can then be binned, they are even releasing a (cheap and nasty) remote that takes its place.

if it continues to fail of course they'll release a kinect free version.

2. 6,627
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I'm still waiting for the evidence to prove this, especially since in my room I could barely use kinect anyway.

3. 647
      LordX

LordX Loyal Member

wrong, my Kinect is not even out from the box packing, never used, never connected.
      on first setup you can bypass Kinect install without any problem.

this is very stupid not to sell xbox one without Kinect, we can get about $350 price tag on xbox one without Kinect.
      will be very nice to have some low-end version, small hdd no Kinect and some kick ass price.

4. 4,415
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

Too late MS there already is an Xbox One with out kinnect....

Just buy a PS4, slightly faster hardware and no kinnect needed.

(Of course then you have to deal with Sony possibly removing features down the road but these days everything is a risk lol)

Edit: What I mean by this is that the hardware in the 2 machines is so close that beyond the GDDR5 in the PS4 providing more bandwidth I don't think there is a realistic difference between the two.

Edit 2: Thinking about this a bit more, maybe MS is right to stick their guns on this issue, maybe further down the road Kinnect will be the defining feature and provide them a way to lure customers in? (It's a long shot in my opinion, but I have been wrong before.)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
    5. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      it barely has any features to remove at present.

Artlover and JonathanD like this.
    6. 73
      brickcitybg

brickcitybg Loyal Member

I think the reason they won't remove it is because it will further reinforce the fact that they were wrong. They already fucked up big with the whole DRM mess. I don't see them recovering from this one.

Artlover and JonathanD like this.
    7. 105
      Crimson Blade

Crimson Blade Loyal Member

It's a voice activated universal remote, in those instances where my hands are occupied I can change the channel and volume. Really that's all I use it for, I don't have the floor clearance to make an @$$ out of myself playing 'Fighter Within' and the gimmik functionality with Forza and Dead Rising is quite lame and clearly forced.

Blu-Ray support (Removal justification being anti-piracy measure)
      The PS+ free games (Removal justification being a lack of "quality" titles participating)
      Non PS+ multiplayer and streaming (Removal justification being anti-hacker measure)
      Upgradable hard drive (Removal Justification being anti-cheater/modding)

8. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

They are being crafty this time, they are adding stuff after launch so that if they want to take it away later, no one can claim they paid for it when they bought the console. Sony haven't really improved any, they just got better at being sneaky about it.

billysastard and JonathanD like this.
    9. 4,415
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

Yeah after the whole PS3 fiasco, I too am suspicious to say the least.

I want a PS4 but I just can't get over how disappointing the PS3 was for me. I expected a lot out of it and got almost nothing until the last year of it's life. Even then the library is pitiful compared to the PS2's. Thank god my unit is full BC so I can at least play my PS2 games lol

If I get a PS4 it will be 2-3 years into this gen and only when I see actual games I want to play on it. I bought the PS3 very close to launch because I picked up a PS1 and PS2 at the launches of those consoles and was happy as could be.

Edit: By the way I love your new avatar!!! The Tick cartoon and comic books where awesome!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
    10. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Thanks, I wanted a Die Fledermaus one with his battle cry "Not in the face, Not in the Face" but I couldn't find one, the Tick and his battle cry was a good substitute though :)

JonathanD likes this.
    11. 1,288
      Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Property Maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Wasn't "Not in the face....." Arthur's battle cry?

12. 4,415
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

I have seen some women in movies yelling that... lol

DEDDOA, billysastard and Artlover like this.