hit tracker

Microsoft Surface struggles to sell 1 Million units

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Dec 5, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM
  1. 25,323
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    A pretty slow debut when compared to Apple's devices.

[​IMG]

According to some estimates, Microsoft will have sold fewer than 1 million Surface tablets in the slate’s debut quarter.

Boston-based brokerage firm Detwiler Fenton, estimates that Microsoft's Surface tablet will struggle to sell a Million Units in its first quarter in the market.

The firm also points to a high price tag, the lack of adequate distribution and mixed reviews as key factors contributing to the Surface’s apparent flop.

Just to compare, Apple sold 3 million iPad 4 and iPad Mini tablets in just three days, when the new devices debuted earlier last month.

Combined with the also rumored slow debut of Windows 8, it looks like Microsoft plans failed to meet expectations this year's end.

NEWS SOURCE #1: Microsoft Surface sales Q4 2012 est (via) BGR
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Microsoft surface struggles to ship a million units (via) SlashDot

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Dec 5, 2012.

1. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      was going to say pc sales dropped 21% year on year with the release of windows 8 so it looks like buyers aren't too keen on a touch screen / tablet os on their home systems.

2. 720
      Ahmed_p800

Ahmed_p800 Loyal Member

Communication Engineer @Nokia MEA
      Here is why (according to me)

It says "Windows" but it can't run "Windows" applications.
      It has a "Desktop" view that only looks like "Windows Desktop" and thats it

I believe including desktop view and advertising it as a Windows device was a huge mistake, after all it is not exactly windows.
      Most casual users wont know the difference (ARM vs x86/x64), they will try to run regular Windows apps but those wont work, and they will start wondering Why ... after all it is Windows, right?

Imagine all the calls Win8 customer service will be recieving!

Anyways, as for myself, im waiting for the True Windows experience, and thats Win8 PRO :D
      I might get a Surface Pro, but the RT is suffering from some issues with built quality so I might hold back abit, after all it costs 1000$ :eek:

3. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      I bought Win 8 myself and dont regret it, because i already knew it was limited. I got it for mainly LIVE gaming and Win 8 exclusive apps/games.
      My PC runs Win 7 as standard, while Win 8 is secondary and is only booted ~1 time each week because i'm waiting for more stuff.
      There is already loads in Win 8, but 95% is not interresting for me.

W8 is not a replacement OS at all, and thats why it doesent sell even at the low price. It cant replace Win 7 no matter how you look at it. A group of people will of course only need Win 8.

4. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Letting it be known that a real windows version would be out soon probably doesn't help it. Who wants Windows Phone 8+ that runs some apps, and less of those apps than an iPhad or a much cheaper Android tablet, when they could get a real Windows tablet that runs desktop applications from the largest real world functionality software library as well as "Apps"?

5. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

I have yet to find anything in Windows 7 that doesn't run as well in Windows 8, so much so that I don't even use Windows 7 on all but my emulator/rocksmith PC now (and that uses mostly XP still). I started with a windows 7 as the primary boot but it's got to the point where I just don't use it anymore and only use windows 8, so I have removed windows 7. I run Classic Shell on each of them so it boots directly to the fully functioning desktop, I use my Live account to get all the settings sorted straight off then switch to a local account to bypass the login to speed up boot up and then just use my live details to link all the apps that need it. I have to say for me it's now the OS of choice, even on my C50 based netbook which has a screen to low res for the Apps, it still runs a hell of a lot faster than it did on Windows 7 and boots as fast as my sisters Windows 7 laptop even tho it has much weaker hardware. The Apps are just a perk at the mo, tho the likes of the calendar and email apps are very handy and something I had rarely even bothered using before Windows 8 (I used to use outlook express in XP for my phone software contacts backup but that was about it). Not having to use some antiquated, 3rd party or web browser options to merge my email and Phone contacts/calendar is a real plus for me especially as I can just add or change details on one and every other pc or phone I use is already updated without hassle.

One downside tho, can't add paragraphs to my posts on here without an after post edit as for some reason the Enter/Return does nothing, spell check for my fat finger typing almost makes up for the text wall only option.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012