hit tracker

Microsoft: 'Xbox One's all-in-one proposition will convince gamers of its value'

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Aug 31, 2013.

By GaryOPA on Aug 31, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  1. 25,323
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    But of course that 'price is also important'...

Microsoft's Phil Spencer points to the 'all-in-one' nature of the Xbox One in the price debate, which according to him, will help convince gamers of its value when the console launches this fall.

[​IMG]

In an interview with Eurogamer, Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer acknowledged that price will play an important part in determining the success of both the upcoming PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

However, he also pointed out to the "all-in-one" nature of Microsoft's upcoming console, which he says is the thing that will help convince gamers of its value:

So, what's your take on his comments?

Both consoles will go on sale this November. The PS4 launches at US$399/€399/£349, while the Xbox One will be more expensive, launching at US$499/€499/£429 (mainly thanks to Kinect 2, which comes packaged with each unit).

NEWS SOURCE #1: Microsoft points to all-in-one nature of Xbox One in price debate (via) EuroGamer
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Forum Thread #665445 (via) NeoGAF

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Aug 31, 2013.

1. 1,439
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://utstatsdb.nanomonkey.ca/
      Not want...if I wanted a PC, I'd buy a fucking PC, DUH! I'm so sick of the shit they're turning gaming consoles into, stick to GAMES DAMMIT!

Ichijoe likes this.
    2. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      i wish they'd stop with this all in one crap, its not a frigging sat/cable box as idiots will find out and since you still need a cable / sat box then why the fu*k would you turn on your games console as well just to watch tv?

Ichijoe likes this.
    3. 1,808
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

If I wanted to Skype I'd just either use the function on my Telle. or my Tablet. I don't see the need for it on then FailBox.
      Besides if they wanted to do Media right. All they'd have to do is give us the something akin XBMC that does everything XBMC does without non of the DRM Crap attached to it. But, that's never gonna happen cause Netflix, and co. wouldn't pay MicroSoft to get their Products on the FailBox without any hardcore DRM involved.

Given that both Systems will be x86 this time 'round. I guess its down to the question of who gets hit first? My guess as always. It'll be MicroSoft that gets hacked first. But I'd wager that sooner or latter both Systems may have a working XBMC install on them. At which point I'll likely come down on the side of S0NY again.

If for no other reason. It has the Games I want to play. (e.g. Japanse Export RPG's, Beat Rhythm, Platformers) where the X360 has catered to more um Western tastes. Nothing wrong with that. Its just not to my taste is all...

4. 1,283
      Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Property Maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Agree with everyone else here.

Not interested in this stupid all-in-one crap. Most of which I would never use anyways, and even if I did, like most people, I already have all this other functionality available in other devices. I don't think MS understands that I wouldn't be buying an XboxOne for skype or media streaming or to spy on me when I forget to unplug it and cover it with a foil lined box, I'd be buying it to "play fucking games" on.

Shame that it seems like playing games is the last thing the XboxOne is intended to do.

Not to mention, the general historical fact is that all-in-one devices do none of the things they do as good as dedicated single purpose devices.

Owning both the Xbox and Xbox360, I can tell you, I will not be rushing out to buy a XboxOne. Maybe in 2 or 3 years when it's been hacked and you can buy a used one for half price or less and we know how reliable the hardware is and if MS is going to push all the canceled DRM protection back in again in some future update. The last two being big factors, as we know their record with hardware production is utter shit, and they have already invested the time and money into all their DRM plans so they aren't going to just drop it forever. Personally, I predict the DRM will be back once they get enough units sold, and that the system will be as resilient as a glass christmas tree ornament in a house full of kittens.

5. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I could point out the flaws in this but everyone else has done a good job of that.

Just being x86 isn't the issue, the reason the Xbox got hacked so fast was because they screwed up the security that badly and relied too heavily on off the shelf parts, if this uses a custom CPU then they could prevent the same mistakes they had before and even then other issues e.g. not isolating games are still fixed.

Being X86 just makes it easier to port stuff when it is hacked, although the issue will probably be if these are based on the official SDK (the reason why xbox homebrew isn't easily found in binary form online compared to other consoles).

6. 385
      sped

sped Loyal Member

Cant see why so many people are bitch moaning about something they're not going to buy?? I look at it this way, your getting a gaming console that can do other things. You don't have to use the other things but they're there as a bonus.

Take the mobile phone, its turned into a mini computer now. Its a phone which can do other things, though I guess people hardly use it now a days to ring people ha ha.

Ive never used Skype, but will give it a go once I get the Xbox one, the other things will be a bonus for me.

7. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

Xbox one is started with wrong step. NOw, is a normal console, but before, there was a lot o restrinction, that has upset a lot of people. My suspect is thatall these restrinction come back.

Why pay a console 100€ in more, moreover less powerfull than Ps4?.

360 success was due to piracy. Console was easy to be hacked, only dual layer and not blu ray and mod was came out very early and before Ps3.

Microsoft has time to change politic and need to start to make onlinee service for free.

8. 1,086
      Anil8tr

Anil8tr Loyal Member

The power of the console does not translate into a great game. The games will do the talking next gen, not the power of the hardware itself.

The 360's success was because it had a solid lineup of games. It took the PS3 a couple of years to get the ball rolling.

Servers cost money to maintain. With MS talking of expanding XBL to 300K servers, fees will increase before they decrease.

9. 219
      steveo1978

steveo1978 Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.360crunch.net
      I think what most people are not seeing is that this is targeted as a living room device and that most people dont have a PC in the living room connected to the biggest screen in the house. With Skype on the xbox one I am guessing you will be able to stay in contact with your xbox one friends if you are on the xbox or not. What I am wondering is if those people that have the phone number for skype would that also work on xbox one. If that works I think it would be kinda cool to not have to interrupt an MP game to answer the phone.

Rarely is a console initially hacked just for piracy, normally they are hacked for linux/homebrew and piracy gets done later by some one else. With that being said there was no reason to hack the ps3 since you could at first install linux and then use linux to run homebrew.

Compare Xbox Live to PSN and Wiis online services.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
    10. 1,283
      Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Property Maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Yeah, piracy is a total non issue. Just look at the original Xbox and Gamecube. Xbox was quickly hacked and it was easy and free to do where as the Gamecube had no piracy at all for nearly it's entire life cycle (at least the first 4 years anyways), yet both sold the same number of consoles. Piracy was more difficult on the PS2 than the Xbox, yet sold 4 times as many units. Go back further. Dreamcast had piracy right out of the box and that didn't stop sales from sinking like a rock just on the announcement of the Sony PS2, nearly bankrupting Sega.

Games, brand recognition and support are what make or break a console.

While we are on the topic of piracy.... Fun fact. Xbox had piracy up the ass from nearly day one, Gamecube had none for most of it's life. Both had the same attach rate and percentage of game sales. Xbox360 had piracy very early on and the PS3 didn't for over 3 years, yet the PS3 had a worse attach rate and game sales percentage than the 360 during this time. For those that can't read between the lines, this represents two generations of cold hard documented proof by the gaming industry themselves that piracy has absolutely no effect on game sales. Those who will buy games will always buy games, and those who don't never will. These imaginary "lost sales" numbers the industry likes to makeup are a farce that assumes everyone who pirated a game 'would have bought it' otherwise, which is statistically (by their own data) completely false.

But I'm getting off topic here, let's get back to making fun of MS and XboxOne.