hit tracker

Mom buy PS3 instead of 360, thinks her son may get banned for downloading DLC

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 16, 2009.

By Zeus on Nov 16, 2009 at 5:50 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    AC has provided a new analysis on why the banning of 360's is a bad move from MS. The argument revolves around the idea that banning systems was foolish considering we are entering the holiday season now. The bans are causing confusion, for example at GameStop a mother bought a PS3 for her son instead of an Xbox 360 because she thought he could get banned for downloading content.

<blockquote>By banning modded X-Box 360s right now, Microsoft is sending a message to not only those customers that have hacked their X-Box 360s, but also to those that are considering purchasing an X-Box 360 in the future. This is especially true for those that will be purchasing on during the holiday shopping season. Microsoft is pushing the fact that they will not stand for those people that use their X-Box-360s in any way other than it was intended.

I was at GameStop the other day and listened to a customer's questions about Microsoft's banning of modded X-Box 360s. The worker tried to explain that this banning was for those people that hacked their X-Box 360. The customer was worried that if her child downloaded any kind of content through the X-Box 360 that this might constitute a reason for a banning for her son's system. She was confused, so she decided to purchase a PS3 instead. I was told by the manager at that GameStop that this was not an isolated incident. They had received over 50 calls that day about the banning.</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2397134/analysis_why_microsofts_plan_to_ban.html" target="_Blank">AC</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 16, 2009.

1. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

That's just funny, I bet the kid is real happy he didn't get his 360.

2. 0
      CoBrA2168

CoBrA2168 Guest

Glad people are finally realizing which console is better. Guess it had to take a shove from Microsoft for it to happen.

3. 556
      Taft

Taft Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      Yea right f..a..n...b... *cough* ...o..y..

Anyway people should try to understand why MS is banning people instead of complaining *Oh no they banned me, don't buy. It will get you banned to*

4. 0
      CoBrA2168

CoBrA2168 Guest

I actually own 2 Xboxes and 1 PS3. I still think PS3 is the superior system for the future.

5. 58
      Sigwood

Sigwood Loyal Member

So how far into the future should I buy a PS3?

6. 100
      peapod

peapod Loyal Member

lol, when they come down to 74.99!

On a more serious note, the guy at the game store should have re-assured her/him that the live bans are down to people modding their 360's.

But thats the way life goes....

7. 100
      peapod

peapod Loyal Member

How long have both consoles been on the market for now?

For the future?!?!?

Then you best bet save for the next gen.......720.......ps4.... no way in hell the current gen is for the future..

8. 488
      RiPPn

RiPPn Loyal Member

The superior system is the Wii, that's why the other 2 are trying to emulate it. and why Microsoft and Sony are in a fight for 2nd and 3rd position. The superior service is Xbox Live, that's why Sony is trying to emulate it, and has to give their service away for free. The only true advantage the Playstation has is the Blu-Ray drive, and that feature has hardly any impact on gaming. Pretty tough to call the PS3 the superior system when it lags behind the other 2 on the market. With that said I think when PSN matches Xbox Live, and Sony releases their motion controls, it will arguably be the best system, of course that's if Microsoft and Nintendo haven't released their next generation console by that time.

The interesting thing is going to be how Nintendo positions the Wii2. If Sony and Microsoft have motion plus great networks, what could the Wii2 possibly offer up that customers wont already have at home?

Oops a little OT but seems this thread has gone that way. Anyway looks like Microsofts anti piracy ploy has hurt them, shocking! Maybe instead of banning people from a service they have to pay for, use whatever information is telling them the Xbox is hacked to obtain the customers address and send scare letters to customers homes, much like directv did years ago. They seem to work and are much lower profile then banning a million plus users, plus you still get to collect funds from these people.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
    9. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Think of the games, will somebody please think of the games!

This situation is confusing for some though, this isn't helped by the fact that even ms can't get the facts straight.

I keep hearing the it's consoles banned then accounts. I want to get some ms points but can't decide on whether I should in case my account gets banned.

10. 3,798
      iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
      yeah it only takes stupid moms to realize the ps3 is better haha. anyone with a braincell that works would know that the bans are for hacking the 360 not downloading **** you pay for

i suppose if your happy that the average IQ of a ps3 owner is that low, then well.. so am i

11. 122
      HyperTech

HyperTech Loyal Member

i have both console, and i prefer by far the xbox360, but its just my personal preference, some other people might prefere ps3. doesnt really matter, and the ban, well if you dont pay for your game and play online with, well i think you play with fire.

12. 3,748
      MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

Plus now she gets to gameshare that stuff with her friends kids lol.

13. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

All this says to me is that they only have clueless staff working at gamestop. It's not difficult to explain that they get banned for hacking a console so that it can play pirated disk copies. This halfwit must have told her that it's illegal downloads or somthing similar without explaining that you can't do that on the console only on the PC by intentionally looking for pirated games and that in order to do that you have to take the console appart and modify it, which you wouldn't do either unless you intended to play pirated games, and you wouldn't do that normallyunless you intended to pirate games (playing backups is BS, thats just another one of the excuses of people not wanting to admit the truth that they are pirates) much as you wouldn't take your TV, microwave, cooker etc appart to modify it in some illegal way.

It goes to show why so many uniformed people make missinformed decisions on things like this (not saying the PS3 was a bad idea, but if the intention was to get a 360, then it was a missinformed opinion) when they are relying ont he knowlege of people who are meant to know whats what. That said, in many cases you will find that salesmen will usually take advantage andpush for the more expensive sale to the missinformed if they can, usually so as to reach there sales quota, if the situation was reversed and it was a PS3 with bans and the 360 was more expensive, I would expect the 360 to have been sold.

14. 6,064
      saleem

saleem Loyal Member

360 track record should make most parents who are buying pres's for their kids shy away and buy a ps3.

360 for backups,ps3 for originals and psn.

simple,cos thats all 360 is good for,backups!

the hardwares going to go eventualy so might as well get as much use out of it using backups.play online on a ps3 which you know will keep chugging along in the higher percent of cases.the money spent on originals will be well invested then.

microsoft wont get any money from me now,they banned me for 2nd time,i have had 2 systems go rrod on me,systems i had and sold went rrod or E74 also,so basicly i aint splashing out £200 for a elite with hdd as the hdd on my banned unit wont work on any other unit,for it to rrod again.i wont buy till the one i got dies.

i just spent £32 on mw2 and play on my 3 yr old ps3 60gb on psn for free.
      :)

15. 99
      mg_k

mg_k Loyal Member

Mate i cant agree more!! Thats exactly what I have been doing for the past 2 yrs.

360 arcade for offline and pirates, PS3 for online and legit games :)

16. 1,086
      Anil8tr

Anil8tr Loyal Member

Looks over at my unmodded arcade 360 that runs legit games AND XBL...

17. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

All this just use the PS3 for online and 360 for backups is nonsense, aye use a 360 for backups, but use what most of your mates have for online. if all of your mates are still on XBL, why go on PSN when you can play against any of them, or vice versa. It's far more fun to play against people you know than what are essentially faceless bots when they are people you don't know, or at least that what I find.

18. 36
      elko

elko Loyal Member

Microsoft did not understand the fragile Console-Market. Nice try to ban those people, but 4 sure they don't make friends. Deactivating Parts of the Xbox hardware is like deactivation of a chiptuned custom Car.

It produce pure hate and frustration.

There are a lot of Kids playing Xbox360 Games.
      What Platform will they prefer when they grow up?

I would buy a Sony next time. ;)

19. 0
      squall3031

squall3031 Guest

Why would they do that? With PS3 current price, surely they get more profit than selling xbox 360. Though, correct me if i'm wrong..