hit tracker

MS backs down on Kinect Hacks, will be a 'gold mine' for MS claims Journo

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 20, 2010.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

gold mine....... for sure... let everyone else come up with ideas then make them better for the next xbox or windows.

3. 13
    SunLizard

SunLizard Loyal Member

Once again, people are missing the point.

Drivers were developed for Kinect in just under 48 hours. No *real* attempt was made to even lock down the device. Why? Free Press. Not only that but exposure to a whole other market.

The waves of DCMA thumping are also free advertising. The fact I'm even responding to this as news boosts metrics.

MS will also 'sell-out' by xmas. Kinects will be harder to find than Wii's in 2006. The 'Shortage' may even continue into february. Open Source availably (including 3d depth mapped images, iRobot Vacuums with Kinect's strapped to the top) will all feed the Free-Media frenzy and MS will have a 'hit' on its hands.

Bottom line is the Kinect is a product with an effective advertising campaign. It helps that it almost works as advertised.

So yes, it will be a 'gold mine' for MS and the opens source community will help that.

And as a afterthought, if this supersedes their expectations, you'd better believe there will be an official MS SDK for Windows and open source dev's will go back to their independent project corners.

4. 784
    Captain N1

Captain N1 Loyal Member

So what if its hacked. its not like you can download a kinect device. Nintendo does not care if you use the wii mote for other things other then the wii.
    STFU Microsoft.

5. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

No i get the effect of advertising and how this benefits microsoft and the mroe people do anything with it adds to that exposure. Spreads the word of the device.

But kinect at its heart that Microsoft bought was mainly the tech. Microsoft sent a fleet of software engineers to come up with what kinect is.
    Hense the more a free community can do, the more ideas microsoft gets.

microsoft also isnt as lawyer happy and some other companies. They normally go after trademark or patient infringements or software piracy on large scales like people selling windows and office for big time money.

6. 2,358
    QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

Of course MS won't touch it yet. They'll let everyone have free reign until they sell a lot of them. That's when the lockdown process begin and they start suing people.

7. 377
    Brandogg

Brandogg Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    It hasn't been hacked. At all. Some people made some drivers for PCs to use Kinect, that's not hacking the Kinect hardware in any sense.

8. 5,233
    Azariel

Azariel Loyal Member

ohh..I hope they find a way to port some drives so I can play classic prince of persia.. the DOS version!!!

9. 159
    Ninjaman

Ninjaman Loyal Member

Exactly...that is how MS came up with kinect, by taking what this guy did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0awjPUkBXOU

10. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    if you combine what that guy did with his ir tracking and the wiimotion camera (demo below) the result is pretty much kinect with its combination of ir tracking and motion camera, only difference is the wiimotion camera came out a year ago and has a wider angle lens so it requires less space (still 7-8 feet but thats laying down on the floor much less in games like racket sports party).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016