hit tracker

MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 12, 2009.

By Zeus on Nov 12, 2009 at 8:25 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Microsoft has commented that it is unapologetic about banning modified consoles from Xbox LIVE. Prior to that, MS noted that stamping out piracy on their system is a key issue not just for the Xbox but the industry as a whole.

<blockquote>
    "If it's clear someone is downloading pirated copies or have modified their Xbox in some way that will allow them to download games that they haven't purchased legitimately and yes we lock that account down and we're unapologetic about that," he said.

His comments came after parent company Microsoft blocked the consoles because their owners had modified the equipment to play games they had not paid for.</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://forums.xbox.com/29907138/ShowPost.aspx" target="_blank">Xbox.com</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 12, 2009.

1. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

What are talking about? A business practice doesn't necessarily mean a company you work for. It can mean the type of business you practice. See what I mean? You completely misunderstand what I said. I meant his actions when he started the company. That's what the guy was talking about. He said Bill Gates started his company on stolen software. I asked him what it was he stole. What did Bill Gates steal when he started Microsoft? DOS? Windows? It's common knowledge that he took a lot from Apple, but he did it legally. It wasn't ethical, but it was legal. He became quite hated for it, didn't he?

Now that you're starting to see you're stupidity, you're trying to end the conversation by claiming it's a waste of your time. I'm not going to get into some political debate about corporations with you, but I will defend what I said earlier. If you had read anything properly, you'd know I meant when Bill Gates started Microsoft (as the person who I responded to was talking about). In other words, pre-Microsoft. What Bill Gates did to start Microsoft. Someone claimed he started the company on stolen software. I asked him how that had anything to do with he and Microsoft being even, as he claimed. Then I asked him what it was Gates stole. Finally, I claimed that he didn't actually steal anything, but what he did was unethical (when starting his company). You turned it into this ridiculous, "I love Microsoft and they can do no wrong" crap.

2. 326
      DAVE11674

DAVE11674 Loyal Member

Electronics engineer
      Home Page:
      http://www.pspunbrick.co.uk
      FFS lol this thread is making me laugh now

look its plain n simple
      you all knew the risks at modding and going on live.
      they cought up and every1 with modded machines gets a ban.

thats it end of, deal with it ffs.
      me i have a lot of naff machines but im sure the flash is just fine :p
      ill simply take the flash off a fooked board and get the key from the drive and away i go again :p
      **** M$ there is ways round everythgin
      one thing i will not do again tho is purchase live
      ill only play street fighter online anyways
      ill download it on my ps3 now

dave

3. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

See. It's not so hard when someone uses common sense. We just need more people to think like this. Minus the flash swapping stuff. Not all of us are capable of such feats. haha

4. 2,415
      crypysmoker

crypysmoker Loyal Member

Bothering people
      A hole in a box somewhere over the rainbow
      Jesus..
      All the xbox banning threads just bring out all the know it all forum freaks.
      Some of you really need to take some meds.

5. 3,748
      MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

Pirates will be pirates. Their money never goes to the game developers anyways and banning people wouldnt change that.

The only money MS gets out of them is for the console and then live.

So they just lost out on it. Also there are a lot of people who copy games, then also buy special edition versions or normal versions. Guess thats something MS lost out on as well, but as I have always said, sony got too big headed, they suffered, nintendo did last gen they suffered, and now MS. You are only hurting yourself MS.

6. 501
      Nicotine

Nicotine Loyal Member

/thread

and, 360s are disposeable anyway.

$199 got me a brand spanking new pro console....

oh noes, not a whole $199!!!!

at the same time - IF there are people who were banned for no legit reason, they should be given a chance to prove their innocense...

im on my 7th xbox360 - i have given MS chances with their horrible hardware and investing my money time and time again - they should do the same for those wrongly accused....

their methods are "accurate"..... accurate implies it's not perfect...... accurate always has room for error.

i buy the games i will invest time into. my recent purchases in the last 2 weeks: forza3 and MW2 - both games are worth every penny.

but there are other games i will play for an hr, then never touch again......

i dont agree with people pirating everything, even stuff they play excessively..... but for casual garbage you wont touch, $60+ is a waste of money...

7. 94
      Patango

Patango Loyal Member

What a retard. You clearly don't know what the word "stole" means. Get a dictionary and learn some history. Gates never "stole" anything, he bought it!

8. 220
      Riffy

Riffy Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      Maybe they saw that made for tv movie about him where he is kinda monstered up and at the end it has him like hovering over apple from the handout he gave them.

9. 415
      doxology

doxology Loyal Member

Well downloading a game isn't really stealing. Stealing equals taking something physical and making someone lose the item and a sale. I don't condone people downloading games, but everyone I know that does do it, buys the games they like and deletes the games they don't.

The funniest thing I think of when I see microsoft banning all these consoles though is that they are making themselves lose money. Most people I know that own a 360 own it because they can hack it. If they couldn't they wouldn't have purchased the console, the extra accessories, and live accounts, and they even buy arcade games on live. By banning these people they are losing money from all these things. They are also losing the legitimate game sales that a lot of these guys are doing when they find a game they like through downloading it.

And finally my biggest issue ever since the so called digital piracy started is that word is so inappropriate to use for someone downloading something. Last time I checked piracy involved killing people, stealing from them, and sinking ships after they where all done. I think its funny how when people at organizations find something they don't like they find a word that makes the people sound awful. I don't condone downloading software and the like but the way the industries deal with them are often stupid and out of touch.

10. 220
      Riffy

Riffy Loyal Member

Home Page:
      My bad DP sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2009
    11. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      So i guess based on that concept identity theft shouldn't be a problem either as long as physical goods arent involved, i mean doing things like getting a drivers license, a social security card etc should be just peachy right I mean after all its not really stealing I mean most people that steal identities wouldn't have used their own and would just use another one any way. Identity theft sound like they are robbing places or killing people and taking their place as doppelgangers.

Welcome to the digital age...most forms of entertainment are now available in non-physical formats...it still doesn't make it any less of a theft, its just yet again another convenient excuse for thieves...hey at least I didn't call them pirates.

Seriously though loosing a couple bucks to the few thieves that buy a couple dlc packs or an extra controller. Live itself isn't really that much of a revenue generator, from what I have read the overhead costs pretty much make it a break even for them but the profit is marginal at best. They must be different where you live...around here I know of one person with a modded console that actually buys games...but he has an unmodded one as well, all the rest never buy a damn thing unless they get a game or a points card as a gift.

12. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

There's a big difference between identity theft and piracy. Piracy is legally copyright infringement b/c you can't prove loss of revenue. You didn't steal anything (money, goods, etc), but you made a copy of copyrighted material. With ID theft, usually you open accounts, commit fraud, steal funds, etc from the person.

13. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      Thats why I said if your just using it to get a drivers license or a social security number...my point is simply that excusing it as ok since its just copyright infringement is just that an excuse. Im simply tired of pirates making things worse for the legit gamer as console manufacturers and developers get more and more draconian. Why do you think they are so hell bent on ushering in download only gaming as quickly as possible?

14. 415
      doxology

doxology Loyal Member

identity theft is actual theft. you are taking someones identity. you are taking there money in a lot of cases, there credit, i could go on all day.

your experiences with people just means you know crappy people. everyone i know buys the games they like and deletes the rest.

it is copyright infringement doesn't sound as bad as piracy right? i don't condone downloading of games, movies, music, etc. but i think it is a much smaller issue than people think.

people will quote numbers of downloads or seeders on torrents or whatever else. whats funny though is a lot of those people have purchased the game. most games end up online before they hit retail. people download them to preview the game or they already purchased the game but haven't been able to get there copy yet. the industry assumes every download equals a lost sale. lets be honest. it doesn't. a lot of people are going to buy the game, and if they are the type of person that wouldn't, well lets be honest, they probably wouldn't have bought the game in the first place.

i think the music industry is finally catching on. some artists are giving away albums or letting you hear more of the album early. the music industry is also doing cool stuff like making cool packages with t-shirts, extra songs, or whatever for the same price or even a lesser price than usual. if a gaming company adds anything in they charge you a premium and call it a collectors edition or something.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Piracy-Developers-Game-PC-survey,news-5077.html

lets also not forget that some developers have leaked there own games online minus a couple of features to build hype and momentum for their games. some developers actually want there games pirated, which is really funny to me. its alternate ways of dealing with downloading that will help developers. and digital distribution could help, but its not a perfect system either. the steam version of games get hacked and pirated, and look at the apple app store. digital distribution isn't a magical answer to the problem.

15. 613
      CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

i pretty much agree with you dox...a study has yet to be conducted that demonstrates the true impact piracy has on the music, film and gaming industries. I have seen too many conflicting studies.

16. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Got to agree with that, I doubt any pirate would pay more than your average person or maybe less for games if they are pirating due to being unable to affor to buy games, certainly not the ammount needed to aquire the collection they have pirated. Say for instance the average person buys maybe 10 games a year (no idea what the aveage is, this number is just an example), thats the value of lost revenue to the industry on average. Not the value of the maybe 60-100 or so games they may have downloaded as is often claimed, as the vast majority of those games would have never been obtained by them other wise.

Throw in second hand and exrental games into the mix and you have an even lower average that the industry would have lost. Yes the the value of the IP may be what is claimed for the 100 or so games pirated, but the actual money lost is a mere fraction of that unless they claim all pirates are millionaire coke'd up hermits who play games all day and night whikle watching films and never listening to the same song more than once, and could easily afford to pay for them all.

17. 236
      mannyman789

mannyman789 Loyal Member

holy **** M$ is so happy then finally can detect ixtreme...they won't stop talking about it.

18. 511
      n0rthstar

n0rthstar Loyal Member

You have to wonder if M$ always knew about hacked firmware from the beginning, they were just getting people addicted, once hooked they'll keep coming back, and now theres no escape.

On the issue of stealing/piracy.

Most people that download games and movies do so because they are there, they know its stealing, but its not seen as proper stealing, like robbing someone in the street for money, or breaking into someones house... more like recording something off TV or a radio station... those were the days.

Also most people download a lot of crap they never bother playing/watching beyond 5 minutes, because the game/movie is totally naff. These "pirates" in my opinion arent really pirates, theyre just sharing a file that they had no intention of buying in the first place. Now IF the game turns out to be any good then they will more than likely buy it for multiplayer, even more so now M$ have dealt with the problem, if the game has no real multiplayer then it probably wont do as well... and it seems to me multiplayer is the future of gaming, so game developers need to make sure every game has that to attract people to purchase it, theres no room for bad games anymore.

The REAL pirates are the people making money from downloading and selling... and if people cant see that then they are blind, thats where game developers make a "lost sale" because without those people around the average consumer would have to buy the real thing.

19. 2,115
      dsav

dsav Loyal Member

pretty much, but now they've gone too far with all the other crap they do to the console.

banning is one thing, but the rest is going overboard.

everyone bein smart enough to "swap" for a new console an ms getting screwd over is what THEY deserve.

bastards.

20. 1,132
      crono

crono Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Strange no one mentioned the illegal actions M$ have taken. :confused:

M$ my ban your console, but not cripple it like they did, its forbidden by law, even if the console is modded and the owner was wrong, the licence holder(M$ is still the owner of your xbox360) may not cripple the functionality of the machine. :cool:

They can only ban you from services and free repair (this means they have to repair it if you pay for it), but that’s all, M$ have gone too far this time, and I hope the government hold their rules of consumer protection. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009