hit tracker

Music sales are not affected by web piracy, according to study

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Mar 21, 2013.

By GaryOPA on Mar 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  1. 25,397
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    Music industry responds: 'It's all wrong'.

[​IMG]

A new research published by the European Commission's Joint Research Centre shows that online piracy doesn't hurt digital music revenues. IFPI says the research is 'flawed and misleading'.

According to a report published by the European Commission Joint Research Centre, music web piracy does not harm legitimate sales.

In short, they've found out that “digital music piracy should not be viewed as a growing concern for copyright holders in the digital era. In addition, our results indicate that new music consumption channels such as online streaming positively affect copyrights owners.”

You can check out the full report HERE!

Meanwhile, and as expected, the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) said the research was "flawed and misleading":

So, what do you think about this?

NEWS SOURCE #1: Technology #21856720 (via) BBC News
    NEWS SOURCE #2: New research music piracy should not be a concern for copyright holders (via) ArsTechnica

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Mar 21, 2013.

1. 1,626
      Nocuddle

Nocuddle Loyal Member

If sum1 wants to pirate a mp3 music, that person does not intent to buy the music anyway.

But pirate stuff promotes buying incentive.
      Like me for ex. I d/l'ed unknown crap that I never heard b4, I like it, I go buy the freakin CDs.
      MAFIAA win & I win (twice).

:very_drunk:

2. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Pretty much this (minus the drunk part), it's sad that the CD is declining though because I still prefer them to MP3 for the physical item or at the very least for a lossless copy. If anything it actually puts me off buying music (last album I got was only because I had free credit on Amazon, otherwise I'd still be waiting for a CD release).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
    3. 556
      Z3R0B4NG

Z3R0B4NG Loyal Member

- i would not own half the music i own if it wasn't for piracy
      - i would not KNOW half the Bands i am fan of now if it wasn't for piracy (includes illegal YouTube uploads blocked by GEMA)
      - i would never have bought a CD or gone to a concert of these Bands

- i know there are people who just download everything for the sake of collecting everything, and never listen to half of it, some people will just never buy anything

- others use it as a extended Demo version

- i knew a guy who bought a 1000 euro HDTV a 600 euro PlayStation 3... and then was complaining about 15 euro BluRays and 60 euro PS3 Game prices (or 20 euro for used games), he sold his PS3 and pirated Nintendo Wii games instead, because he could -> some people are just morons

my personal opinion is that the Audio-CD is an outdated format
      people want either digital, small and portable -> MP3 player / iPhone / USB stick in your car / whatever
      or they want huge bit-rates and surround sound in the best quality possible -> DVD-Audio (a format that sadly is not supported as well as it should be)

DVD-Audio = 8GB for the same music as a 650MB CD...
      5.1 and Stereo versions of the same audio-tracks... playable in every DVD-Player, with video menu.
      And even higher Bitrates for dedicated DVD-A players.

imho the DVD-A sounds just that little bit more brilliant on a good 5.1 System (cleaner BASS if you go LOUD because it has a dedicated subwoofer line) and listening to Metallica's Black Album or Linkin Park's - Regeneration in 5.1 surround is just ...something else than the old boring Stereo Format.

The Audio CD... is just that mass market format that has been around for so long that you can't get rid of it anymore.

DVD-A > CD-A