hit tracker

New firmware update sparks PS3 problems?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jan 22, 2010.

By Zeus on Jan 22, 2010 at 6:32 AM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    A small poll on the official Playstation forums is pointing to the possibility that there are potentially some serious issues with firmware v3.15. Over 50 percent of those who took part in the poll revealed that they had bad issues or a complete system failure due to the 3.15 update.

<blockquote>While it's a bit early to call things widespread, some forums are once again starting to heat up with reports of various problems that mostly seem to have occurred after the 3.15 update rolled out last month -- although some folks also seem to have had trouble with the earlier 3.10 update. As with last time, the issues being reported vary a bit, but the 60GB PS3 seems like it may be the most affected, with one completely unscientific poll on the official PlayStation forums finding that 27 users of the 60GB model had no issues after the 3.15 update, while 35 users had either some "bad" issues or a complete system failure ('course those with no problems aren't that likely to be seeking out threads about problems). So, anyone notice that their PS3 isn't behaving like it should? Let us know in comments.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/21/recent-ps3-updates-prompt-more-complaints-of-console-failures/" target="_blank">Engadget</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jan 22, 2010.

1. 213
      Xanxion

Xanxion BANNED FOREVER

Isn't this the same for *EVERY* update on EVERY console, nintendo wii updates crippling hacks, breaking things, 360 dahs updates breaking games, causing rrod, ps3 updates breaking cames, causing ylod..

if it was a case of 40,000 or so users having the problem then fair enough, but a tiny handful of people?, really, this is no epidemic, it never is, for any console.
      This kind of news is in the same ilk as 'xxx game causing rrod/ylod', it's silly.

2. 0
      SonyWanze

SonyWanze Guest

I'm also affected ...
      I got a 60GB european release PS3 ...

Problems after the FW 3.15 :

- only 2 of 4 USB-Ports working together (same time)
      - games freeze after a couple of hours playtime, or PS3 shutdown completely
      - some games got trips while play'n and heavy slow downs (wether online or offline)
      - PSN-Connection losses (breaks nearly every 30 minutes)(wether WLAN or LAN)

My assumption is, which wants to induce Sony with the update(s) some old customers to the purchase of a new PS3 Slim.

Look at the new feature with FW 3.15 = > Transfer data from old (fat) PS3 to new (slim) PS3.

It looks suspicious like a time bomb, I think.

3. 51
      buzzar

buzzar Loyal Member

;)
      Defend $ony all you like fanboy's
      After suffering 2 YLOD and 2 failed lasers these things are built to fail anyway!
      But the facts are that a number of people ( it's dosn't matter if it's 10 or 10,000) have had their expensive consoles damages by a Mandatory $ony update.

This should not be happening..:mad:

4. 0
      exorcist1966

exorcist1966 Guest

I have a 60gb and my son has an 80Gb and no problems here and we have been running FW3.15 from when it was first released. :confused:

5. 544
      ModderFokker

ModderFokker Loyal Member

Lmao...stopped reading after that :D

6. 3,798
      iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
      with sony consistently releasing firmware updates it's bound to happen.
      nintendo says 1 in 1000 people with bricked wiis. im sure m$ considers something around the same to be normal. it happens.

but the thing is, how often do you see nintendo and m$ constantly release firmware updates? they happen once in a blue moon. sony on the other hand ALWAYS has a new firmware update to fix every little tiny issue they created with the last firmware update. at 1 in 1000 failed updates (normal for NANDs), sony probably has the highest update failure.

dont forget wii and 360 updates take seconds compared to sonys minutes. this is an even longer time for an update to fail.

7. 512
      mcmanic

mcmanic Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      60gig, no probs here. UK

8. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

People dont understand that there are bound to be problems with firmware updates on every device, Personally i have lost a hard drive, an old motherboard bios, a router, an MP3 player and not to forget my PS3 crashed during an update and would of been dead if not for the restore feature.

I agree this likely occurs due to the frequency of updates but also the integration of multiple models in one firmware every time there's a new PS3 hardware revision the first firmware causes some major issues, what all these companies/manufacturers need to understand is by blocking downgrades or reflashing of the current firmware they're creating problems only a new update can solve where a reflash may well solve all the issues, If they intend to do this they need to spend the extra and include a backup that works in all events or extend the warranty on all units just for firmware update problems.

9. 0
      sliggo

sliggo Guest

I keep recieving an error message saying the console was not shut down properly since the update, never had it in the three years previous.

10. 25,610
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      http://www.O-P-A.biz
      That is a new feature added to the new firmware!

11. 14
      Diablo^

Diablo^ Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.xhackerbox.com
      I updated my PS3 60GB phat (the first ones with PS2 game support with software) to 3.15 and played NHL 10 once. After that on yesterday my PS3 won't read games, BD movies or DVD movies what so ever.

Could it be the new fw...

12. 3,170
      kcvfr400

kcvfr400 Loyal Member

I am sure there are genuine problems, but also I find it strange that only now its mandatory that there is so many issues with this firmware. Surely alot would have updated before now due to the mini support for ps3 and this would have come to light sooner.

Still my launch european console has had this firmware from the start and no issues at all. But never experienced any issues on firmware updates on anything I own.

13. 469
      picopir8

picopir8 Loyal Member

Most issues are with the 60GB. Mine stopped playing Blurays/DVDs with 3.00 (a fairly common issue) and I sent it in for repair. When I got it back I called to see what they did to fix it and they said they replaced the hard drive (which surprised me that the hard drive would prevent movie playback). But it makes sense they probably keep the firmware on a partition of the hard drive and perhaps they used junk hard drives in the 60GB models which allowed the firmware to become corrupt. Its still surprising that the problems would manifest themselves the same way on every console though. But for anyone out of warranty who has had issues with the update, you might want to first try replacing your hard drive which would certainly be less expensive than paying for a repair. Though if you complain enough they will probably fix it for free (thats what they did for me).

14. 52
      LOTG

LOTG Loyal Member

I noticed my PS3 doesn't always shut down when I tell it to do so from the menu (keeping ps button pressed -> shutdown console). The screen goes black but the console stays on.

Then after pressing the off button on the console it shuts down.

Also i'm getting shocks of the on/off button, but this could just be static. It would have been nice if they used optics instead of metal contacts for the soft keys. My cars has the same system for locking it from the outside, but that has never given me shock. Even when wet.

About the guy claiming sony wants him to buy a slim:

I'm not sure, does sony actually started making profit on the PS3? Otherwise it would be a stupid move to kill them. MS or Nintendo OK (I suspect MS, they have caused some pretty suspicious RROD's with updates. Especially on modded consoles).

15. 2,415
      crypysmoker

crypysmoker Loyal Member

Bothering people
      A hole in a box somewhere over the rainbow
      I got the update a few hours after release and rebooted to my horror of a completly corrupt, almost filled 160gb hdd. I was pissed. I did a restore and it brought back everything except my main PSN profile. All DLC was corrupt, all music..... Although thats the only problem I have had, it was still frustrating none the less. Also, very discouraging to want/have to play through games againg to get back to where my saves were.... which makes uncharted 1-2 kinda boring.

16. 456
      Nomad121

Nomad121 Loyal Member

I'm running the 60gb PS3 on firmware 3.10. Which means I have the most vulnerable model running on the most vulnerable firmware.

But yet the console is running great, in fact I've just finished Army of Two: 40th day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
    17. 25
      2Rudex

2Rudex Loyal Member

So reformatting the hdd, or buying a new hdd won't fix this issue?

My brother had this happen to him about 2 weeks ago. But I didn't think this firmware would be so devastating. I'd almost go as far to say that I think this was intentional by Sony.

Anyway, would a reformat make the bluray drive read games again?

18. 213
      Xanxion

Xanxion BANNED FOREVER

I basically said '**** happens', and that's defending Sony and being a fanboy?

Ironically i have a japanese launch 60gb, and other than the occasional freeze once or twice a week (personally, i think i need to jam a new hard drive in to it, i used linux on it for years), it works just fine.
      You have to understand something, the firmware comes with a checksum, once flashing is complete, it checks the installed firmwares checksum with the one supplied in the update and if they don't match, it fails it and falls back to the backup nand, when the backup nand is booted it copies itself back to the first nand, so you can continue to have the bad flash protection.

If a firmware update causes problems, these can only be one of two things, 1) the firmware itself, and if this was the case, every single user with the same sku would have the same problem
      2) the way your machine is configured at the time of flashing is in some way responsible, i would suggest that anyone who continues to have problems, backup their data completely and freshly format their drive, this actually solves an immense number of issues.
      You can actually also boot to the restore menu (google for how), and have it manually repair the hard drive tables and such, this may also help.

It's ironic, really, the PS3 has the most frequent updates, but it also has the most comprehencive protection against bad flashes (it's the only one that doesn't become a dead weight if you lose power to the machine while writing to the nand).

And no, this isn't fanboy nonsense, it's fact.