hit tracker

Newbie-Friendly CEX-to-DEX Conversion and Rollback Tutorial

Discussion in 'PS3 Modding Tutorials' started by gDrive, Sep 3, 2012.

1. 9
    mdd45

mdd45 Loyal Member

I have a Nand ps3. I ve dumped my nand with mm and then QA flagged my ps3. After that i converted to DEX (im on dex now). That means that if i get back to cex ill soft brick my ps3 beacause i qa flag after the dump? Any idea on how to prevent soft brick? My ps3 never had a cex firmware above 3.55 (not downgraded to 3.55) Thx in advance....

2. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    With a NAND PS3, you're more likely to ACTUALLY brick your console (flasher-recoverable-only) going back to CEX than with a NOR console.

Having said that, you will NEED to go into FSM during the DEX-to-CEX rollback with CrashSerious' FSM XMB Tool here (http://psx-scene.com/forums/content...non-dongle-factory-service-mode-solution-1922), as stated here: Captain CPS-X's NAND CEX-to-DEX Guide - PS3Hax

3. 87
    NeilJames

NeilJames Loyal Member

I can't say for sure if QA flagging, after, making your flash-dump, will help prevent from soft brick. All you can do is try really. From my experience though, I'd say yes, you will probably soft brick because your flash-dump was not made while QA flagged but that's just based off of my experience. My experience could differ from console to console, I really can't say for sure. Like I posted, a QA Flagged copy of my CEX-flash-dump prevented the soft brick as I had already experienced two soft bricks while using a NON-QA flagged copy of my CEX-flash-dump. My ps3 also never had a CEX firmware above 3.55, I have an original CECHA01 60GB.

If you do soft brick though, it is very easy to recover. I use the JIG/FSM method. This tutorial found here: http://www.ps3crunch.net/forum/thre...fy-Region-TargetID-Settings?p=46086#post46086 is very simple and easy to follow. In the link gDrive posted, apparently, there is no need for a JIG device to achieve FSM (Factory Service Mode). I have no experience with that tool in specific but I'm sure it works since it is used in the other link that gDrive posted.

Make sure you have the tools needed in case of a soft brick and in my opinion, test to see which method keeps you from soft bricking. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'm not, in any way guaranteeing a successful recovery. I just know it worked for me and others.

On another note, the only reason I went from DEX to CEX four times, was for mere experience with the methods and knowledge for myself. I was fully aware that there was potential for NO recovery but I wanted to see if I could manage to go from DEX to CEX with no soft brick in case I ever really need to go from DEX to CEX. A QA flagged copy of my CEX-flash-dump is what helped me come to my conclusion and kept me from soft bricking when going from DEX to CEX. Although, four tests might not be a sufficient amount of data, it was enough for me, personally. ;)

Regards,

NeilJames

4. 59
    Luke-X

Luke-X Loyal Member

My PS3 is a Slim Model (120GB). It's the first time I try to convert my CEX to DEX.
    Instead of follow this tutorial, can i use the latest version of ReactPSN?
    It is safe to convert with that method? Anyone tried it?Is it simplier than this one?

Sorry, too many questions! XD

5. 87
    NeilJames

NeilJames Loyal Member

In terms of simplicity, I believe that comes down to the end-user's opinion of simplicity. For me, the simplest method I found without any confusion was this tutorial: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f290/dex-conversion-compatible-3-60-backups-104770/. Even though the tut I followed was simple, I still managed to soft brick my console two times. It's a matter of obtaining information through reading and of trial and error I suppose. That or having an open communication with someone who knows the ins and outs of the conversion to guide you through the process. Personally, I found that the guides found here at ps3crunch seem to offer better insight to help alleviate "problems." My soft brick is what led me here and the knowledge found within these forums helped me to fix my problem and teach me more about the CEX -> DEX process.

To answer your question, personally I have never tried the ReActPSN method so I can't give an opinion on it's pros or cons. From my own experience with reading a lot of guides, the main thing to remember, at least for a NAND user, is QA flag. Apart from that, the rest has been done for you and all you will need to do is follow the guides put forth.

NeilJames

6. 59
    Luke-X

Luke-X Loyal Member

Thanks for your answer :)
    Last questions: if I convert my CEX to DEX, will I be able to come back to CEX without risks? Will BD Drive Functions (BD Movies included) be restored? Should I save my CEX Dump and other files before the conversion?

7. 87
    NeilJames

NeilJames Loyal Member

Anytime you flash your system there is always a risk involved. Nobody can guarantee anything. My advice, just follow the tutorials and if in any case you do brick, there are also tutorials on how to recover from said brick. That is the best answer I can give.

From what I've read, Blu-Ray function "should" return if you manage to convert from DEX to CEX successfully. If you manage to soft brick upon attempting the conversion from DEX to CEX and you have to enter Factory Service Mode (FSM) to recover, I believe your Blu-Ray function will be lost. Not permanently, so long as you have a proper backup of the correct files.

On that note, to answer your final question, yes, you should make backup of your whole system via the PS3 backup method. Also, I'd advise you to make a backup via FTP to your PC of your, "dev_hdd0/home/0000000X" folder, where X is a number depending on how many users are on your ps3. Example: I have one user on my ps3, me, so my folder is "0000001." If I had two users, I'd have two folders, "00000001" and "00000002." The folders within your "0000000X" folder that need to be backed up are, "dev_hdd0/home/0000000X/exdata", "dev_hdd0/home/0000000X/savedata", & "dev_hdd0/home/0000000X/trophy".

As far as BLU-Ray is concerned, I lack the information as to which Flash folder you'd need to back up. I believe it differs from NOR to NAND. I think for NAND users, the Flash3 folder is what needs to be backed up. Again, I lack information in regards to what folder to backup for Blu-Ray.

There are other folders you can look through to backup such as Themes, PS2 Saves, and Wallpapers, etc. I'll leave that up to you. Hopefully this helps you a bit more.

NeilJames

8. 59
    Luke-X

Luke-X Loyal Member

Thank you so much, I'll follow your advice! :)

9. 21
    Pdscoelho

Pdscoelho Loyal Member

Hi, I need some help. I'm on DEX 3.55 Rogero, is there anyway I can go back to cex without an original dump of my NOR?

I've read that a 4.21 cfw is imminent, so im assuming I would need to go to CEX first but am afraid of bricking, I don't have
    a flasher...

10. 4
    scurry

scurry Loyal Member

What is the benefit to rolling back to 3.55 dex from 4.21 cex? In other words, what can CEX do that DEX can't (other than bluray movies, or is that it)?

11. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

DEX can play newer games with update that CEX doesnt have patches for.
    DEX you can play games through LAN from your computer
    DEX you can delete trophies
    DEX can install or use retail pkgs (CEX) only on 355 DEX not 421DEX etc or until converted to DEX
    DEX you can downgrade (which i think is what you were saying)
    DEX cant play AVCHD through video column
    DEX can play all retail discs as long as the firmware is the same or higher
    etc etc

12. 4
    scurry

scurry Loyal Member

edit:nvm

13. 114
    kilkip

kilkip Loyal Member

even with QA flag enabled on CEX flash, one can "soft-brick" going back to CEX, out of 3 times: 1 soft-brick and still unsure what causes it, can't even enter FSM on the soft-brick, not really a soft-brick if there is no hardware flasher arround ;) otherwise easy fixed

this should need a list, all people report what they did to convert, because one person bricks when rebooting, another can install the cex pup directly after restoring to CEX via multiman, another person can't and MUST reboot to get the cex pup installed, either via XMB or Recovery, and this should be normal/OK and working just like we convert cex2dex, we alse reboot, also read another guide where the guy uses the "close multiman&reboot PS3" option after flashing dex2cex

whatever it is, the process isn't bullet proof for some reason, hit&mis, if there's only 1 console i advice to have a "hardware flasher" just in case :p

14. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

I hear the safest way to go back to CEX is QA flag before going to DEX and use Rogero MFW 3.4 or DEX 3.55 before going back to CEX

15. 3
    joojoo88

joojoo88 Loyal Member

I am planning to convert my DEX ps3 back to cex, i noticed there where a lot of bricks. I didn't qa flag my ps3 before my conversion to dex, so my flash dump is not qa flagged. I am wondering if it's safe to return to cex without having qa flagged?

16. 87
    NeilJames

NeilJames Loyal Member

There is no way of telling for sure. All you can do is be prepared for a worst case scenario. If you do brick the console there's a good chance you can recover. There has already been links posted in this thread that give instruction on how to recover. Good Luck.

NeilJames

EDIT:

Here's a link to the recovery solution I used for my brick when going from DEX --> CEX: http://www.ps3crunch.net/forum/threads/4111-C2D-EXE-v2-(PS3-Flash-Patcher)-Now-Allows-Users-to-Modify-Region-TargetID-Settings?p=46086#post46086

@gDrive/aha360 Maybe you should update the OP with links to possible recovery solutions for a soft brick when attempting a DEX --> CEX conversion. All-in-one Tut! ;)

17. 3
    joojoo88

joojoo88 Loyal Member

In the tutorial to prevent a brick they say to do this :
    1. Before you start be in Rogero DEX CFW
    2. Flash your CEX.EID0.NORBIN in multiman CEX

but if you are in rogero DEX cfw , how can you use CEX multiman , or is this not a problem, i just have to install cex multiman pkg?

18. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

You cant use DEX firmware with CEX, just start on KMEAW firmware. They prolly mean be in rogero firmware when your going back to CEX as it doesnt have checks.

19. 87
    NeilJames

NeilJames Loyal Member

It is possible to use MM CEX on a 3.55 DEX CFW such as Rogero's. So, yes, you need to delete your DEX MM if installed and install the CEX version of MM then proceed as explained. On 3.55 DEX CFW the ability to read and write from flash is still possible, whereas, 3.56+ it is not. Also, MM CEX allows for "dev_blind" and MM DEX doesn't, from what I understand. I hope this clears things up a bit.

NeilJames

20. 7
    buller1986

buller1986 Loyal Member

Hi this guide looks simple. compared to this guide made by CaptainCPSX??

@PatrickBatman
    what guide did you use to get on dex?