hit tracker

Newbies Guide To PSGroove - Getting Started With The AT90USBKEY

Discussion in 'PS3 Game Ripping, Custom Mods' started by ThreeDog, Sep 2, 2010.

1. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Today we have a friendlier tutorial for getting PSGroove up and running. There is no doubt plenty of questions will arise from people that have rushed out to buy hardware with not much idea of where to start. With that in mind we offer them a tutorial for the AT90USB1287 which should work just fine with similar products as well.

What you'll need to get started:

1. AT90USB1287 or associated product.
    2. External storage device (USB Drive/SD Card/Memory Stick)
    3. Atmel Flip 3.4.1 Software (Link).
    4. Prepared AT90USBKEY-psgroove.hex.
    5. Any homebrew .pkg packages you wish to install.

Software Preparation:

Start by installing the Atmel Flip software including the Java Runtime Environment if you do not already have this installed.

Find the directory where you have installed Atmel Flip for example (C:\Program Files\Atmel\Flip 3.4.1) open the USB folder and copy the file libusb0.dll and/or libusb0_x64.dll to the folder named bin. (You may need to disable 'Hide protected operating system files' for this step'

At this point you can place the homebrew.pkg file on your external storage device.

The software preparation is now done and you have also saved yourself time solving a simple problem, Good Job!

Hardware Preparation:

The next step is to plug the included USB cable into your AT90USBKEY and plug it into the PC. After some loading of drivers you will be greeted with a folder containing various demo packages and so on, go ahead and copy these files to your computer if you wish to make a backup.

Now you'll need to put the AT90USBKEY into a mode enabling you to program it.
    1. Hold the RST and HWB buttons (Circled).

2. Release the RST button.

3. Release the HWB button

View attachment 28698
    (Click for larger image)

At this point windows should start prompting you for drivers so direct it to the USB directory in your Atmel Flip folder for example (C:\Program Files\Atmel\Flip 3.4.1\usb) and you're done.

Final Hurdle:

You're now going to flash the .hex to your AT90USBKEY.

1. Launch Atmel Flip and select 'Device', Select the microcontroller that matches your board (In this case AT90USB1287) and select OK.

2. Select 'File' - 'Load Hex File' - Select your .hex file in this case AT90USBKEY-psgroove.hex.

3. Select 'Settings' - 'Communication' - 'Open'

View attachment 28697
    (Click for larger image)

4. Click the 'Erase Target Device Memory button.

5. Click the 'Program Target Device Memory button.

View attachment 28696
    (Click for larger image)

Fun Time Baby!

Remove any discs that are present within the drive.
    Turn off Playstation 3 power switch or in the case of a Playstation 3 Slim unplug it.
    Insert your microcontroller board into the bottom usb socket.
    Restore power to your console.
    Hit the power button and then the eject button.
    Insert your storage device containing the homebrew.pkg into your Playstation 3 once booted.

Note: The above power cycling process needs to be repeated each time you turn on the console. A small price to pay for the fun ahead of us!

I hope this at the very least helps a few people out there and i hope everyone has their chunk of fun with whatever homebrew they choose to run.

View attachment 28699
    (Click for larger image)

For investigative purposes i have tested a legally owned backup and can confirm the above works as intended.

*06/09/2010* edited the Fun Time Baby! section. Storage device prevents boot!
    *10/09/2010* if you intend to reproduce this guide please credit the original author or maxconsole.net

2. 34
    tornadog

tornadog Loyal Member

When I connect the usb controller to the ps3 slim and then hit the power and eject button, it just keeps blinking green. What am I doing wrong?

3. 30
    traxion

traxion Loyal Member

moviedad
    Oke, i maybe can get on the hardware but does it realy works ? Some questions before i try it on mine ps3 fat 60gb with ps2 option ( first model)

- so you can backup games on a hdd and then play them?
    - can i take the hdd to a friend ( with same chip) and then play games from mine hdd?
    - what harm can it do to mine ps3, not that it wont play any more or something like that
    - how do i undo everythink? if i want to get 100% legal again?
    - can i use mine orginal save games?
    - do i need to plug-out the internet? of cant sony see that i'm doing?
    - can sony block mine total ps3? so that i cant do anythink with it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2010
  4. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

You need to turn off the power to the PS3 fully by unplugging it or the switch on the back if it has one. Insert your dongle. Restore the power. Hit power and then eject (it should beep a couple of times. You'll know it has worked from looking at the game menu.

5. 30
    traxion

traxion Loyal Member

moviedad
    can somebody answer mine questions?

6. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Yes you can.
    Yes you can. [On an external drive] [4GB limit may apply] [Stay legal]
    No real harm.
    Select the backup manager and press Triangle - Delete. Format Hard Disk.
    Yes you can.
    Nobody knows what Sony can see yet. Stay offline/unplug if worried.
    Nobody knows what Sony can or will do about this yet. Sony can ban from PSN.

7. 30
    traxion

traxion Loyal Member

moviedad
    ty for the replay :)

can i take the hdd to a friend ( with same chip) and then play games from mine hdd?
    -Yes you can. [On an external drive] [4GB limit may apply] [Stay legal]

I've understand that it must be fat32 and thats the 4GB limit.
    But if i can backup it on mine hdd and play it at a friend, it means i've can also download games ( a less legal way) and put them on mine hdd? :)

8. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Sorry not answering that - Site rules ;)

9. 28
    Daimao

Daimao Loyal Member

10. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Yes that is actually what im using. If they have stock go for it.

11. 28
    Daimao

Daimao Loyal Member

Thanks.Will try this out soon.

12. 76
    mauler

mauler Loyal Member

Just a little heads up not noted

For teensy boards, make sure you have the specific hex file for the board. It drove me nuts reflashing the board over and over with files that were not compatible with the board. Just a little helping hand suggestion.

13. 110
    carapalida

carapalida Loyal Member

GIRL GAMER
    i just read this thread... and i think i just now realized that these boards, they come ready... there is no soldering required right?

i mean... all i need to do is understand the steps and what programs to flash the device.

and i thought i had to make this board from scratch, like assemble and/or solder stuff.

ahhhh...

14. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

There is absolutely no soldering required what you see in the picture is what you get, All you need to do is program it and plug in the included USB cable its just that easy.