hit tracker

Next-gen games takes developers 8x-10x more time than last gen

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jan 15, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:03 PM
  1. 25,697
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    According to Capcom

Shocking news we have here with Capcom's Masaru Ijuin declaring that developing a game for PS4 or Xbox One takes 8-10 times the time of developing for older platforms

[​IMG]

This is a curious thing, when the next-gen consoles (PS4, Xbox One) were announced, both Microsoft and Sony declared that programming games for them will be easier than ever, thanks to the PC-architecture approach. Now, we know that at least Capcom is not agreeing with that. Masaru Ijuin, Capcom's Senior Manager of Technology Management has said in an interview that developing a next-gen game is 8 to 10 times more time consuming than doing the same for the last gen consoles.

This was declared on a interview about the new "Phanta Rhei" engine that Capcom is developing to replace the "MT Framework". You can read it in full following the link below.

NEWS SOURCE: Interview (via) Capcom

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jan 15, 2014.

1. 556
      Z3R0B4NG

Z3R0B4NG Loyal Member

sorry but what a load of BS.

yes games get more complicated, but the development tools are getting improved too, they are not using the Quake engine from 1999 anymore to create 10 times more complicated things, they have better tools for that now.

So you say Call of Duty 4 took them 2 Years, so Black Ops 2 had to take them 20 years or they do employ 10 times more Devs ? ... yaaah... nope.

Pure Hyperbole.

Battlefield, DEDDOA, Artlover and 2 others like this.
    2. 501
      Nicotine

Nicotine Loyal Member

exactly.

I think capcom is making excuses for how poor they have done lately.

They haven't released many worth while games in quite some time. MANY cancellations of loved franchises, abandoned franchises, plus financial troubles.

it sounds like they are trying to justify their poor performance and titles.

screw capcom. they need to hire devs, or license out their franchises, to people/companies/developers that will produce some worth while titles.

3. 25,697
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      http://www.O-P-A.biz
      Well lets see if this is true, then that means we will not see a new Resident Evil game on next-gen platforms until like 2020....

4. 3,170
      kcvfr400

kcvfr400 Loyal Member

Sounds like a poor attempt to justify micro transactions, poor and pointless dlc and in Capcoms case rehashes.

billysastard likes this.
    5. 6,199
      Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
      Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
      Home Page:
      http://www.retrojunkies.karoo.net
      this is just another article to favor the fans, seeing most will see it targeting the next gen hardware of the xbx1/ps4, cant really include the wii u having it been a subpar last gen.

but this article is rather retarded.

1) its not going to be any harder to create a game for these systems, devs could use engines like unreal, havok etc thats compatible for both systems.

we saw this alot with 360/ps3 because devs were too lazy to create an actual engine solely for that system.

i mean if indie devs have no problem creating games, im sure capcom with its larger staff base and more advanced staff would have no problem.

but

if your game is to be like super realistic, life like models, photo realistic textures etc its obvious its going to take more time creating the engine, models and textures.

its another BS excuse, if your game is to be say tetris, that would take no time at all, where as a game like the last of us obvously would take more time.

so for example the last of us really shows something amazing for the ps3, taking advantage of its hardware (compared to some of the other games that are rather basic), if devs wanted to do the same with either xbx1/ps4 rather than using a basic engine with higher settings, it would take longer.

but i wouldnt expect to see anything like this anytime soon, only exclusive will have engines pushing the boundry and taking advantage of what resources they can get to.

most games like on all systems in early life are multi console ports using an engine with tweeks for each system.

6. 170
      Penner

Penner Loyal Member

This is bullsh*t.

The step from ps2/xbox to p3/xbox360 was way bigger, because of moving from SD to HD. Also that step was when the move to effective multi threading happened, especially for the ps3. But i doubt that both these big time consuming moves added up 8 times more time/ressources needed.

And what's the step from ps3/xbox360 to ps4/Xbox One? It's still HD, for some games it's now 1080p instead of 720p, but the last gen already had 1080p games as well, and the new generation also has 720p games as well, so there's only a tiny step, if there's one at all. And multi threaded programming is the standard for everything nowadays, i would even say the workload for this aspect is about on the same level again, as it was to the p2/xbox time, because of improved tools.

So what is supposed to be so time consuming here? Are the tools provided by Microsoft and Sony so bad, they alone take 8 times more time to do anything with them? Not even the report about the pre-retail Wii U SDKs was that bad.

JonathanD and Battlefield like this.
    7. 6,199
      Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
      Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
      Home Page:
      http://www.retrojunkies.karoo.net
      thing is tho why its BS which other tards slated these systems for it.

XBX1/PS4 has made it easier for devs to manage resources by having as the tards slated, PC like hardware, rather than locked down dedicated custom made console hardware.

take the ps3 cpu, back then it was classed as superior to even PCs (raven will hate saying that) but this custom cpu was apparenly harder for devs to work with.

now the xbx1/ps4 are based similar to PC platforms, devs should be able to work better with the hardware making it easier not harder for them.

sure if your going to make something thats physically pushing the boundry then yea its going to take more time than it would making a game kinda the same as last gen but with better textures.

look at cgi movies, some can be made in no time, but say final fantasy which back then was as life like as it could clearly would take more time, the same would apply to games.

8. 388
      Darkest_RaVeN

Darkest_RaVeN Loyal Member

IT Infrastructure professional
      Oh do fuck off with putting words in people's mouths again. Never once said anything about comparing the Cell to a PC CPU. Back then it was probably on par with a decent gaming CPU of its time. The cycle used to put consoles ahead of PCs in performance, but over the lifetime of the console, PC development would leave the console far behind. This gen the 'new' consoles don't even come close to an i7 from 3 years ago.
      And mods, didn't you say he's allowed back as long as he's not offending other members? How many times has he been verbally abusive to several of us since being allowed back?

9. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      he's gone (for now)

but i have asked that from now on we ban him on sight but for that we need everyone's help, if you see him with a new account use the report post button or drop me a pm.

JonathanD and Artlover like this.
    10. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

I think it is true, because all us know that Ps4 and one have a great graphic potential, more than Ps3 or 360. Than people expect that Nect generation console has a wonderful graphic. This push develops to made charaters effecets and muc more, always more realistic...this mean work on poligons ect ect.

11. 4,415
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

On the Cell CPU thing, yeah I agree when it launched it was about equal to a top of the line computer CPU, maybe a slight bit better? Even the 360's CPU was really impressive at launch (and to be perfectly honest... I think the new consoles are an actual downgrade in certain aspects of performance from last gen... I am almost certain that single threaded performance is worse on the current AMD CPU's than the Cell and Xenon CPU's.)

But they do have more cores and from what I hear some things are more easily done on the new CPU's due to the instruction set having some niceties built in... (nothing that couldn't be done on the old CPU's of course, just nicer to not have to code it in.)

I don't really like the current gen's CPU's and I agree with you that any i7 would wipe the floor with them and most likely any i5 too... These are probably closer to a juiced up i3 in performance.

But considering they are just game consoles, it's ok, I don't buy game systems based on specs.

On the main topic, after thinking about this a bit, mmaaayyybe just maybe these new machines are a little harder to code for? The single threaded performance thing means they have to learn multi threaded design practices for code and trying to juggle that with learning GPGPU practices... It's a bit different than just complaining about Cell and the lack of RAM of those systems.

I think they still should have an easier time than the PS3 but who knows...