hit tracker

Nintendo boss slates PSP go, asking what's the benefit of it?

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by Zeus, Oct 12, 2009.

By Zeus on Oct 12, 2009 at 1:16 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime has torn into the PSP Go, questioning what the point of the product is and what benefit does it provide to the potential consumer. Does he have a point?

<blockquote>The PSPgo has split opinion since its launch earlier this month. But Nintendo of America’s Reggie Fils-Aime knows where he stands. Speaking with The Washington Post about the PSPgo, he said, “I have the utmost respect for all our competitors, but it’s interesting to try and answer the consumer question of ‘What’s in it for me?’ in that product.â€

Warming to his theme, Fils–Aime went on to say that the PSPgo had a, “fundamental concept problem in terms of ‘Who’s it for?’ and ‘What’s the benefit?’â€</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2009/10/12/nintendo-chief-slates-pspgo-115875-21741873/" target="_blank">Mirror</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by Zeus, Oct 12, 2009.

1. 0
      nivalis

nivalis Guest

After the Ds lite and dsi, i'll take this news with a grain of salt, what exactly do you espect the only real handheld competitor to say? 'the pspgo is pretty cool'?, let me ask you this
      What is the point in asking a competing company their opinion of the competitors product?, the answer is always going to be predictably negetive.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
    2. 18
      driojas

driojas Loyal Member

NONE, No benefit at all, it's a no brainer,while ps3 it's 50$ ahead,there is no point of buying this crap,as an product designer,I found psp go unergonomical,painstaking,and it doesn't justify the console's lifecylcle,therefore the product won't sell,simply because you just can't try to rough things up,and the 50$ ad will slap the console's production line,here's a buyers tought "why bother,for something that doesn't play my 25 umd's,even if sony gives out 3 games out of the unstable PSN?No DEAL,NO POWER TO PLAYERS".

Ergonomics:

Hand position,just as the fat Nintendo DS,you just can't force your thumb to get a real accurate movement troughout the "stick",it will eventually give you a carpial joint disorder, wich it means it could result on a wrist carpial liquid disorder,that means you will end up having a freaking ball full of joint liquid in the middle of the wrist.

thumb supress will result on a notorious movement of the handheld's screen ,resulting on dizzyness,over forcing eye contact, and well you know hat that means anyway.

Smaller screen,bright colors,means forcing eye contact.

Price:

250$? owell you just gave it a 50$ pricecut,good for you,but again,a pointless move,NOBODY WILL GIVE A CRAP BECAUSE PSP 3000 IT'S ALREADY OUT! AND IT HAS MORE BUNDLES AND DEALS RATHER THAN SOMETHING JUST OUT OF THE OVEN.

Last but no least UMD compatibility:

THERE IS NO COMPATIBILITY?what about old users,who have over 30 umds at home? WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING?.

Piracy:

You already know about this,releasing crap games,with no added benefits will result on a "I do It because I can,and I will" Come one the psp it's a great handheld,give more power to the players,give more Online functions,serialnumbered games,we need more creativity out of games,not just ports or multiconsoled oriented games,we need more original concepts,profit it's what's making it unprofitiable,please give developers more time for concept planning PLEASE!.

3. 2,358
      QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

Well that one Sony CEO guy was pretty nice to both of their competitors in that interview... Haha, not being top dog means you can't be an outright jackass, which is a good thing in my book.

4. 3,209
      Trashcat

Trashcat Loyal Member

Dear Nintendo boss, DS hardware power is barely in the same decade as PSP, I know its a great benefit to the company but its not a great benefit to the consumer who by now would really want to see some decent 3D graphics.

5. 18
      driojas

driojas Loyal Member

The source of a videogame concept does not relay on graphics. Nintendo DS has proven that creativity must be "a most important" priority.WHY IS THE GAME FUN? because of it's graphics? no,graphics complement fun,this is why today developers fail,beacuse consumers doesn't know what they want ,how come?because consumers relay on somthing that's already on the market,,and if they get what they want,pipiriboppidyboo in an unconsious level, YOU WILL GET FUCKING BORED IN 3 DAYS, therefore,failing at going beyond expectations.

6. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      Yet the DS outsells it 2:1 in hardware and 3:1 in software...guess the majority just dont care.

7. 353
      Wakutan

Wakutan Loyal Member

I could ask the same question about DSi.

8. 1,223
      B2K24

B2K24 Loyal Member

It's the majority being stupid.
      There are millions of parents who automatically buy for kids ages 10 and under
      because most of the games are childish garbage and the cheaper pricepoint
      gets the sale.

The psp is to complex for the masses, same with pre-built PC's sales compared to people who build there own. Of course custom build will always be better but alot are to stupid to know how.

More sales does not mean the product is better.

Look at all the cheap crap bought at Wal-Mart that sells by the millions just for it to be returned and wasted because of fail. The profit margin is so high due to it being cheap it matters not how much is returned.

I agree the GO is kinda pointless right now. In the future if the PSN becomes the standard that has entire PS1 and PS2 library with ability to swap content with 1 PS3 unit (perhaps it would have to have same IP as GO plus some hardcheck so could only sync to 1 unit) plus say loads of movies or TV it could be a very cool thing especially if alot of good psp and psn titles keep being released.

People may question it right now, but eventually the PSN could be the future.

9. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      I really dont think the addition of a single analog stick makes the handheld overly complicated and other than that the number of buttons is the same. Perhaps it has more to do with the PSP having very few games that are simply pick up and play time wasters.

I dont have hours to dedicate to playing a handheld, I get 5 minutes here, 15 minutes there...etc. I have some great games for my PSP but honestly it spends more time collecting dust between releases than being played. My DS and even my Ipod touch get more attention.

As for reliability you have to be joking...look up umd failure, etc. Better yet just search for dead ds vs dead psp..for the DS you will mostly find references to Typing of the Dead...while the PSP brings pages and pages of umd failures and system bricking due to failed updates.

There is a niche for "console" gaming on a handheld, but its IMHO always going to be the minority. Even Sony is acknowledging that with the GO pushing mini games as the highlight of the device.

10. 0
      nivalis

nivalis Guest

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble, but i worked in a games store for a few years, and we always had way, way more DS returned faulty than we did with PSP's, fucked touchscreens, screwed up upper/lower screens, backlight issues, bent pins on cart slots, broken volume sliders, you name it.
      If it's any indication, ebay uk shows the following :

search for 'faulty psp' = 107
      search for 'faulty nintendo ds' = 322

They break more, because parents buy them for their kids, because a vast majority of the games are crappy mindless kids games or just hastilly made games of currently-popular cartoons to cash in on kids with the 'i want this' attitude (almost ALL kids), they get the console and they can't look after them for ****, so really, don't try and pull out that crap about DS being more reliable, because it isn't.

11. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      Sure parents buy them for kids they are cheaper and have more kid friendly titles...and yep I agree DS's just by sheer number get abused a hell of alot more. I have even broken a DS myself...by sitting on the damn thing....my fault. My first PSP however just died all on its own...umd just decided not to work anymore less than 6 months after I bought it. My new one has a wonky analog stick but works well enough that I dont care. Whats next...the PSP actually has outsold the DS since everyone buys replacements? Thats the popular sony excuse.

As for the game libraries...I dont know where your shopping but around here the games that are popular are things like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Scribblenauts, etc. Sure there are plenty junk titles...kinda funny that thats the same excuse people always make for whatever console is on top...last gen it was that the PS2 had too many junk titles, as if the library didnt have anything worth playing. The PSP has its share of junk titles too just not as many because frankly titles on the PSP just dont tend to sell as well.

For what its worth, I know alot of adults with DS's but only one other than myself that has a PSP and that was because I talked him into it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
    12. 5
      psychofad7

psychofad7 Loyal Member

I have to agree....I buy my kids a 2yr extended warranty with their DS's. I had one of them drop one in a lake...I love Toys R Us' Accidental Handling Coverage...replaced it without a blink.

Back on topic however....the PSPGo is ridiculous. You can only sell this device to someone who has internet access or access to it. I mean really...why would you make a product that has no external media type other than online and not make it at least 3G capable. I guess it would be too smart to have the option of mobile internet on this internet device (and yes, I have read that it can be tethered through bluetooth...but really, all that trouble?).

Oh Well...I hope someone hacks the snot out of it and it gets the same CFW abuse that we PSP fans have come to enjoy! I wouldn't even play mine if I had to buy every game to be able to try them. Only quality titles get my money....and systems too for that matter (I will never own an XBox....pay to play online? Really?).

Sorry for the rant! Flame Away!

13. 368
      Wesyeed

Wesyeed Loyal Member

No, you raise a very good point that i didn't think about until now. How are people who don't have blazing fast internets supposed to get games and videos? :confused: Sony is retarded.

14. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

I don't understand, who f*cking care Nintendo boss about psp!?!.:cool:

15. 159
      Ninjaman

Ninjaman Loyal Member

So Reggie...my question to you then is...what was the point of the Gameboy micro?...what's the benefit of the gameboy micro?

16. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      The point was mostly to separate fools from their money, it was smaller but the same...I guess you would have a point though if the Micro had eliminated the gba slot.

17. 2,115
      dsav

dsav Loyal Member

sad but true, when a pos like the ds outsells psp.

you know for sure the majority of parents/kids are just too stupid know any better.

psp is light years ahead of the ds in every aspect, yet the garbage ds sells sells an sells.

the gameboy and gamecube days are over nintendo, but again they don't care since every idiot ate up the wii and ds.

nintendo can talk some crap when they make a hd console and a solid portable that's actually worth a damn.

18. 1,223
      B2K24

B2K24 Loyal Member

I 100% agree Quoted for G**DAMN truth

POS Wii is also selling and all the idiots are buying that
      omg wii fit, sports resort and crap all garbage
      simple console for simple morons.

19. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      Umm isnt that the point...sure on a technical level well minus the touch screen and the cameras the PSP is superior but then on a technical level the Ipod Touch/Iphone is leaps and bounds over the PSP and yet no one says that its superior because technical specs dont mean a damn thing. Its the game library that matters and right now the DS has more that attracts the masses, the PSP is a great handheld for the hardcore but for the casual gamer its garbage, its too complicated, lacks any sort of intuitiveness and the library has little to appeal to the just pick up and play crowd in comparison.

Nintendo has been able to appeal to an audience that Sony seems to have forgotten, they were able to pull in that audience with the PS2 but in their quest for technical superiority they seem to have forgotten that its the average user that generates sales. The go is an attempt to recapture some of that, but in doing so they seem to have pissed of the hardcore base guess you cant have it both ways which is why I think in the future there will be less pandering to the hardcore gamer on all sides. Dont get me wrong, I dont see that as a good thing...in fact I think we are headed towards another crash like in the 80's as the market forgets its base and losses its appeal altogether when the next big thing comes along.