hit tracker

Nintendo Gamecube Games on the Chinese Nvidia Shield Are Emulated

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jan 31, 2018.

By GaryOPA on Jan 31, 2018 at 2:50 PM
  1. 24,889
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Zelda Glitch Hunters Discover a GameCube Emulator That Could Run on the Switch
    At the very least, a GameCube game could virtually run on the Switch
    [​IMG]

Last year, it was announced that a special licensing agreement between Nvidia and Nintendo would allow the Nvidia Shield selling in China to have some old 'Nintendo' games from the Gamecube and Wii libraries, and its been discovered that the GC ones are emulated, which basically means in the near future we could see that emulator running on the Nintendo Switch either officially or unofficially since the Shield uses the same Tegra X1 processor as the Switch does.
    So what do you think, could 'homebrew' scene developers port this 'internal Nintendo emulator' over to the Switch for usage with the Team-Xecuter Switch Modchip or an exploitable pre v3.1 firmware, or will we have to wait and pray that big 'N' themselves finally releases an Gamecube Virtual Console for us Switch owners to enjoy buying! :)

NEWS SOURCE #1: Zelda Glitch Hunters Discover a GameCube Emulator That Could Run on the Switch (via) USGamer
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Gamecube Games on Nvidia Shield Are Emulated (via) GBATemp

Comments

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jan 31, 2018.

1. 350
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

yea again nintendo will allow another company to do all the leg work and when its done to such a standard that it plays games near perfectly, nintendo then jump in and port it to the switch.

nice way of nintendo again being dirty cheap bastards, if its not passing expense on the dev/consumer they now pass this expense to nvidia rather than nintendo making its own fucking emulator.

2. 6,612
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Think of it like this, thanks to Nvidia we may soon have an official Gamecube emulator to use.

I'm sure Nintendo will love it if this happens.

3. 350
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

also see it like.

when third parties drop support (after porting its old titles).

well, nintendo will then port the shit out of even older games.

dont get me wrong the cube did have a few good titles, but this is likely a fanboys dream come true, where as im bored already of the swith having nothing worth buying, sick of seeing old games i already own, and again i will not pay more for an old port when i can get it cheaper if i dont already own it.

i mean come on, when did this day happen when nintendo fanboys defend them when you buy its new console and majority of its third party titles are from the past generation consoles, the ones you all slated back then when nintendo never had the support.... but now its happening they all rejoice.

i dont buy a console to be limited what you can play, and 90% of its support is old titles.

nintendo is going to need something epic to keep this going, when the next sony/ms console hits the market what devs it has will do as they always do, will the switch hype be dead by then as we all know nintendo tend to be off to a good fast start but it momentum declines over the years.

4. 6,612
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I think the next year will be the real make or break for the system, especially as publishers like EA, Activision, etc. Will likely know what Sony/MS have behind the scenes under NDA.

While I'm ok with ports/remaster to a point, just like with the Xbone/PS4, there also needs to be new games to go along with it.

If the Switch is deemed a sales success hardware wise, this will likely be the period when publishers are either going to embrace it or treat it as another Wii U.

That said, with news on potential long-term hacks, I wonder if the Switch has the potential to become the next PSP? I know people will probably just say "Android", but the problem with that is that they always feel poor compared to a decently supported console (especially with controls), at least from my experience.

5. 350
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

i think this will end up like an android tablet with detachable controlls (morphus x300) when dev support dries up, it will be a VC whore nintendo milking its older crap, not like they havent already with the wii u ports.

its current games are inferior and cost more.

but if its homebrew and emulators that end up being its selling point, ive managed perfectly fine with my tablet and ps3 controller for all these years and whats better is that my files are all on my cloud, your switch thanks to nintndo's cheap ass' your limited to 32gb internal and your going to have to buy expensive sd cards if you plan on emulating cube titles.

6. 24,889
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      @tech3475 - Weird, my earlier post in this thread seems to be missing.

I have few confirmed sources that big 'N' pulled a talented Dolphin developer away to code their Shield Gamecube emulator, and also the same apk wrapper will be used for future Shield Wii games, and for sure something similar will be used on Switch in near future so we can re-buy all those old favorite games we love playing from Nintendo previous generations.

tech3475 likes this.
    7. 350
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

hope they pay this guy to port dolphin which then brings cube and wii support, funny when nintendo cant code its own backward consoles to its own console.

it would be great (i know impossible) if they had a unique tool to connect cube games and transfer it to your switch or maybe a usb drive to plug into the crap dock to allow you to install or at least run off disc.... heck it would be great if they had a uNiversal adapter that has NES, SNES, N64, CUBE/WII/WIIU.

Logic could be there if it had all the emulators and basically set to load from usb for said game to run.

I think that would make the switch legend because it would mean people like me wont have to rebuy their collection in digital form which no cunt ever really owns.

8. 6,612
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Makes me wonder if there may be any GPL violations now.

I remember hoping this would happen back in the days of the Wii when they announced the VC.

Not a fan of relying on the cloud, especially as the times when I'd usually really want a console like the Switch or Shield TV it's when I'm on a pathetic internet connection (<2mbps, if I'm lucky).

I remember spending hours trying to download an album onto my phone while on holiday.

YMMV on the subject.