hit tracker

Nintendo Sues Console ROM Sites For ‘Mass’ Copyright Infringement

Discussion in 'Underground Nintendo Scene' started by ub3r1337, Jul 21, 2018.

By ub3r1337 on Jul 21, 2018 at 4:57 PM
  1. 138
    ub3r1337

ub3r1337 NFC-Bank Owner Staff Member Clean-Up Crew MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    Nintendo has filed a lawsuit against the alleged operator of the popular console ROM sites LoveROMS.com and LoveRETRO.co.
    [​IMG]

The sites are among the most notorious online hubs for pirated games, according to Nintendo, and face millions of dollars in potential damages. With the launch of NES Classic Games on their Nintendo Switch coming up soon in September, it means we are in for another wave of crackdowns by big 'N' over any site that offers Emulators or Retro ROMs for playing Nintendo games on other platforms.
    As noted above, Nintendo is demanding a list of all 'uploaders' that filled up the site with these nasty illegal backup ROMs, so if you were nice sharing member, get ready to receive a letter if the site's owner caves into all the pressure from the lawyers, but so far he still fighting and operating the sites.

NEWS SOURCE: Nintendo Sues Console ROM Sites For ‘Mass’ Copyright Infringement (via) TorrentFreak

Attached Files:

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground Nintendo Scene' started by ub3r1337, Jul 21, 2018.

1. 258
      White Lord

White Lord MaxConsole Mod Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Fuck Shitendo!

2. 192
      LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

20 years ago I bought a Z64. Not because I wanted to try before I bought, but because Nintendo had gone and royally pissed me off. They had a MAME ROM site taken down for distributing Donkey Kong. I usually try not to abuse backup devices and still buy what I like, and I was still on the fence with the device being $300. That single act made my mind up though. I was buying it, playing every game they brought out for the console from then on for free out of spite, and not giving them another dime to shutdown retrogaming hobby sites with.

I thought things had changed. I had actually supported the 3DS, having bought 20+ carts for it, and was actually almost starting to feel sorry for Nintendo and their complete inability to secure a device. But at this point, I'm convinced it's simply karma paying them back.

Because 20 years later, here we are again. They're attacking yet another site over games that are 20+ years old, and should have entered the public domain long ago (10 years is plenty of time for a copyright to last, I mean, if you haven't made a decent profit on your games 10 years later, it's time to face reality, you suck at game development, time to pick another career).

I was genuinely considering buying the games I like for the Switch new (though not the DLC, which is arguably not even legal here in the US, since we have laws against bait and switch practices -- if I paid for a full game, then that's what I'm entitled to). Especially many of these indie games that are getting physical releases like Binding of Isaac and Darkest Dungeon. It was turning into the perfect system for collectors that want to support indie games. After all, downloads have no genuine value to collectors like me. By economic principles, an infinite supply should mean zero demand, since the two are inversely proportional. Nevertheless, download sales happen, because that statistic fails to take into account the Barnam phenomenon. So, I was really looking forward to supporting the Switch and everything it was doing right. They had even halfway figured out that we hate DLC (because they were at least releasing most third party titles in a complete state, though they are trying to sell most first party games piece by piece, including Zelda, sadly).

But I cannot, in good conscience, support a company that attacks sites that present no economic threat to them, and exist solely for the purpose of preserving video game history. If I buy any carts for the system at all now, I'll be buying them used at Gamestop to deliberately deny Nintendo any profit from the sales. And any indie game I genuinely want to support, well, I guess I'll buy the worthless download from PSN.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
      Cameron likes this.
    3. 2,067
      Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

This is what the people who are always against pirating fail to understand. I also think that at least half of them just say it to get no hate sent their way. I dont know how Nintendo even can file lawsuits on anything over 10 years old (this does not count games rereleased in some way or another. For example all the games on the snes mini are protected again simply because Ninty put them on an emulation box.) because copyright is only protected for ten years. Unless you rerelease them in some way.

Nintendo makes no profit off used game sales. There are people who only buy used games or consoles(I'm one) because of shitty business practices. So for me Nintendo make maybe 120 bucks a year or two because I'd rather buy used or get it free. Why? I'm cheap, I hate their policies, I hate their practices, and why am I explaining myself?

I'm sure there are more ways but I dont know them.

How are you Lupin? Long time no see. I just got a switch recently and am sad that I wasnt around to tell @GaryOPA to send me one of those sx things for it to review. And since I tagged him, hello Gary. Still getting hate for gateway?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    4. 25,088
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      More changes are occurring, other sites are removing ROMs, under fear there could be more action.

38869720_296505464228602_2720077185980301312_n.png

5. 3
      Faraon

Faraon Loyal Member

and now from where we are gonna download the games?

6. 2,067
      Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

This is quite depressing for me. I've been using emuparadise for 17 years.

7. 25,088
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
    8. 25,088
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page: