hit tracker

Nokia X already hacked to run Google's Android apps and services

Discussion in 'Mobile Jailbreak Scene' started by GaryOPA, Mar 1, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Mar 1, 2014 at 6:06 PM
  1. 25,460
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    It didn't took too long...

Seems that the Nokia X has already been hacked to load Google Apps, Now and access the Play store.

[​IMG]

If you didn't know, Nokia unveiled its X Android smartphones, just less than a week ago.

Well, the company had plans to use the handset to promote Microsoft services and not Google's. However, and after just a few days, hackers over at XDA managed to gain root access to it, and got running most of Google’s key services.

For more details, check out the xda-developers thread linked below!

NEWS SOURCE #1: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2665401 (via) External Link
    NEWS SOURCE #2: http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/1/5459888/nokia-x-hacked-to-run-google-apps-services (via) External Link

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Mobile Jailbreak Scene' started by GaryOPA, Mar 1, 2014.

1. 6,627
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason why Nokia didn't include Google services is because of Microsoft so to them this is potentially a good thing hardware sales wise since people may be more interested in the device.

The hack itself doesn't surprise me (depending on how they gained root access), my Nook ereader is current hacked so it can run Android 2.1 apps including the Amazon Kindle App and solitaire.

2. 556
      Z3R0B4NG

Z3R0B4NG Loyal Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Google Play Store... way too much crap in there... bad category filtering (when i look at Apps i don't want to see games and when i look for games i don't want to see Apps!) and it is hard to tell sometimes what is a F2P game with microtransaction crap and what is just a demo or what is simply crap. In Short... Google Play Store has no good Quality Control and i don't trust most of the Apps that are listed simply because they look suspicious and want rights to things that don't concern them.

sooo...
      Is that new Nokia App Store available to other Android devices? Is it any better?

imho it is kinda hard to find good (free) software, in particular if you are just browsing and not looking for something specific.

@Nokia hack: i would not buy a device that i would have to hack to use it as i want it.
      either it does what i want it to do by default or it isn't worth my money to begin with.

3. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      I wouldn't go for Nokia anytime soon.

Galaxy S5 is a dissepointment, so i went to go and buy a S4 instead yesterday...But i came home with Galaxy Note 3 + Galaxy Gear Smart Watch instead. ;)

4. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

All you need now is a multimedia dock and you will have a high end android mini computer as well (not to mention a decent media centre and android games console) The official one can sometimes be overly expensive, if you can't find them cheap on ebay, so just doing a search for MHL OTG dock on something like Amazon should get you one of the cheaper 3rd party ones, which only has one less USB socket (2 instead of 3) and that can be rectified with a hub and still be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Battlefield likes this.
    5. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

I am a tad gutted after seeing the interface, I thought given it was trying to push MS Android stuff, it would have at least had an Android version of the Windows phone gui which I personally find much slicker than the IOS and Android interfaces. That's said I can't say I'd buy one as I am now sold on the Note, which has become my new replacement for my old SE phones, but still it could have been something to make it stand out from the pack, and make up for the weakness of both OS's (Windows phones lack of support and Androids rather dull interface)

6. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      Thanks. I will look into this. :)

The problem when you got a Note 3, there will be no S6.. Too small screen.
      S3 seems so small already.

I think i will keep Note 3 for near 2 years or so, and get Note 5 or something next time.

BTW: Samsung should have bundled HDMI with S5 or any top model, but they aren't.

Samsung is not that expensive on accessories thou.
      USB slot, SD Reader for Galaxy tablets was surprising "cheap", and so is HDMI adapter.

If they bwere branded Apple, they would cost 3 times as much with same tech.

7. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Try looking at the S.View covers for their newer phones, the official ones are usually at least 5x more expensive but not 5X better quality. The multimedia docks have come down in price a bit, but then the official one on the cheap is still 4x the cost of an unofficial one unless you can get lucky like I did and get it for 25 pounds off ebay, had to wait a month though.

You can get cheap MHL 2.0 HDMI cables for it but they won't give you the dock screen, not to mention the multimedia dock (make sure it is a multimedia dock, so you don't end up like my mate with a charging dock, even tho it's pretty obvious as the proper one has hdmi and usb) with a mouse plugged in will turn off the phone screen (so saving it from getting hot) and give you a full screen display on the TV.