hit tracker

Open-Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by powertome, Feb 15, 2014.

1. 134
    Ashee

Ashee Loyal Member

There is something that i want to ask since ages ago....(well since february).... When I formated emuNAND my console sysnand was in 4.3, obviously my emuNAND was in 4.3..... I upgrade my emuNAND and in stead of being in 9.5 it was in 4.5... it took me a second upgrade to reach 9.5(and it took almost 1 hour till the installation finished).
    My console works great(is an O3DS)... but what happened there? is normal?(i don't think so)

2. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

It's not but maybe the first update got a problem and didn't got applied correctly.

If you have an O3DS, you can even upgrade emunand to 9.7 now, to get back access to eshop (just remember to also update the launcher, because you need the last one to support emunand 9.7).

3. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

Because they tried to do the rom update with an emunand installed and so it happen the same as when you install a .cia file on gateway mode without emunand, the .cia is installed on sysnand instead. And as the update is probably not recognized as valid, it's probably why the 3DS then brick.

Those people thought gateway = emunand, but no. That's why we always say to just if the GW3D is before the firmware, because GW3D = Emunand.

And yes, you can use roms on sysnand, as gateway mode without emunand is the sysnand (if it wasn't possible, no one wouldbe able to install .cia files on sysnand, as the devmenu rom is required to do that).

But a while ago, several peoples reported bricks with the Gateway Launcher 2.7 so I was wondering if Gateway team had changed something which would brick the system, even when the update is done correctly on emunand, and that's why I did all those tests on my hardmodded 3DS. And so, what I posted before are the results of the tests, which confirm Gateway team changed nothing, update is still working fine on 2.7+ Launchers, so those people probably updated without an emunand.

4. 267
    faith genesis raven

faith genesis raven Loyal Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    http://www.darkumbra.net
    Hi Have a question
    Was wanting to upgrade my micro sd in the New 3ds what would you recommend 64gb or 32gb
    Just that I read across a few places people where having issues with big micro sd cards in the new 3ds
    while using gateway

Thanks

5. 809
    Nazosan

Nazosan Loyal Member

As in the same discussion you posted on the other thread, the issue is the filesystem. By default everything will only allow you to format to exFAT on a card > 32GB. Format it to FAT32 and you should be able to use any SDXC card in a 3DS system. As for which size, it's just a question of how much you plan to install on your system. I don't recommend less than 16GB for anyone, but 64GB is a lot. I will say this much though, for my own system 64GB was required to fit all the games I wanted on there. (Oh, and don't forget you'll want a little extra free space to do various things in.)

6. 641
    urherenow

urherenow Loyal Member

You have a pretty loose definition of "correctly". It does not. Never has. I've said time and time again, it does not update the FIRM partitions correctly. Emunand is a mirror image of your sysnand when you first create it. When you update via system settings, you can flash it to sysnand and it will run perfectly fine (because THIS method updates correctly). Use .cia files or a rom, and this will brick you every time (when you flash the resulting emunand to sysnand).

I was talking about immediately after checking for GW3D then exiting system settings.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  7. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

Well, let's just forget this discussion because we do not seem to talk about the same thing at all.

Personally, I'm just saying since the beginning that updating emunand through a rom still works (even on 2.7+ launcher) and so I restored my old tutorial (http://tinyurl.com/lyyu5h3), which I had deleted a while ago because of those bricks reports.

And I can confirm people who bricked their 3DS probably just didn't setup emunand prior using the rom update (I tried to do the rom update without emunand, in Gateway Mode) on my hardmoded 3DS and I got the two black screen brick and got forced to restore my nand backup tu unbrick the 3DS. So they probably though emunand = gateway mode, which is wrong.

You really want a video where I show that the update doesn't brick anything? Would be a pretty waste of time but I guess I can do it. Okay, let's do one (won't do the .cia version, I let other people do it).

(There is no need to try to flash your emunand on sysnand, it's pretty useless, I'm talking from the beginning of updating emunand through a rom, I never talked about then flashing it back then to sysnand so this argument is irrelevant, I never talked about this method, I don't know at all if it would brick the system and I don't care at all about it. I already said several times that you seem to talk about a completely different thing, so don't try to make me say what I didn't said, thanks).

Will do a video of a emunand update with a rom and post it when it'll be ready.

It won't include any emunand to sysnand restoration because I never talked about that and even with a proper update, it shouldn't be done without a harmod in my opinion, it's pretty useless (lots of things will be broken as Gateway patches lots of things on-the-fly).

Never said it was a perfect method, never said it should be used instead over using the wi-fi update (would be pretty silly to update with a rom when the last firmware update is supported). But it can run roms, run cia, then be reupdated using the wi-fi without any problem so it's enough for people who can't update directly with wi-fi (it's what people except of emunand) and that's what I'm saying since the beginning (the update doesn't brick the system as long as you don't do silly things, like trying to restore a nand over another one).

But I agree it's a good thing to know that you can't restore it over sysnand (though I don't think anyone would need to do that, I don't see the point at all, as emunand is a copy of sysnand and things installed on emunand won't run on sysnand as the cias aren't properly signed, except for preinstalled games).

Once the video will be posted (probably tomorrow), it'll be the end of the discussion for me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  8. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

Here's the video : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pfzfz

I even left the crash of the emunand boot after the update, to have a one-shot video without any edits.

I didn't bother to do another video but I can also confirm that updating with wi-fi from a rom update (here, 9.4 to 9.7) works fine. I haven't test the result if you flash it to a sysnand because I never talked about this method but if you are curious to know the result, I could try.

And I can confirm that trying to flash an emunand (updated to the rom) to sysnand brick the 3DS, though I never talked about that at all, like I already said a few times before.

I can also confirm that trying to flash an emunand (updated with wi-fi) to sysnand works, though I never talked about that at all, like I already said a few times before.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  9. 42
    Adhun

Adhun Loyal Member

Hello,

this may seem out of topic...

But may i ask how to set-up my friend code on emunand? currently i have created a mii avatar, but when i went to the smiley icon, and went to the card of my avatar, my friend code shows ???-???-???

What should i do?

Thank you

10. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

If I'm right, you need to connect once to internet (or at least wi-fi) to enable the friend code?

Because it's the same method that the sysnand one.

Adhun likes this.
  11. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

Didn't tried yet but I found this info on GBAtemp, which would explain everything about the emunand rom update :

I'm curious so I'll soon try to update emunand with a 2.2 launcher, then try to reinject it on sysnand to see if it really don't brick.

And I'll also try if you can really update directly the sysnand with a rom (without any emunand) with that launcher, might be interesting to know.

I answered him though, because he's wrong about flashing an emunand upgraded from 4.x. I tried it a while ago (and posted the result on this thread), emunand 4.x to 9.7 updated through wi-fi and the restore of this emunand over the sysnand didn't brick the 3DS.

12. 641
    urherenow

urherenow Loyal Member

That's because you updated with wifi. That has always worked and always will. The nand has 3 partitions. FIRM0, FIRM1, and CTRNAND (fat16 partition). GW blocks updating of FIRM0 and FIRM1 which is why it will brick on sysnand. Updating through system settings gets around this block somehow. If you could dump firm0 and firm1 from an emunand that was updated with wifi, and inject them into an emunand that was updated with a rom or BBM, then it would work fine under sysnand.

Edit: and the reason emunand works is because the latest GW launcher uses 9.5 NATIVE_FIRM. Even on 9.0 sysnand. (something that can actually attempt to load while in GW mode: NTR 2.2. Load it with a CN rom and it will fail, but not before you see it complain about an unknown kernel version... then it gets stuck on freeing memory).

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  13. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

14. 1,642
    makikatze

makikatze Gateway Kitty [MOD] Loyal Member

A free cat
    Sorry to go a little off-topic, but I am getting an orgasm here today because of all good news:
    1. I got a second and really good gaming monitor (LG 24GM77-B), so finally have a 2-monitor setup
    2. I got my Xbox One Collector's Edition of The Witcher 3 one day early (it releases tomorrow, got it today thanks to Amazon pre-order)
    3. Pasta CFW

Oh my god, today's so great :D

15. 2,067
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

LMAO! I was just about to praise amazon too! Got my witcher 3 collectors edition guide just now. The one day shipping aint no joke.

FYI guys pasta is bad news for us gateway users. If they find a way to get the newer keys into pasta gateway might as well pack it all in. We will still have some features that probably wont happen in the cfw but once people can use the free cfw over the product that cost money... well.... it aint good.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  16. 317
    hto60

hto60 Loyal Member

Yay! Just ordered Cubic Ninja EUR at a decent price (€31).
    Just wanted to spread my joy lol

17. 2,067
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Joy all around today eh?

18. 123
    Trubo

Trubo Loyal Member

For the DS profile exploit on an older 3DS, which set of files should be copied from that Gateway Ultra 3.2.1 archive? There's a Blue Card (R4i) and Blue Card fix.

Also, I'm assuming you just copy the contents of the folder(s) onto the root directory, not copy the folder itself, correct?

Edit: Nevermind, I really should look at people's sigs more often.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  19. 123
    Trubo

Trubo Loyal Member

Well, got my O3DS and N3DS up and running with the profile exploits. Now to rip the games I and some friends have, then get them installed.

20. 908
    guymelef

guymelef Loyal Member

Pasta still has a way to go to steer me away from GW. Namely, a dev team. The author has done great work in splicing things together and showing an ability to make it all work with his/her own knowledge. The issue becomes going forward. Higher firmware compliance, more features that aren't available on other platforms. To me, the author has given people with a 9.2 and lower firmware with CN a chance to see what it's all about. I really think this is more for Sky folks. As a GW user, I am still happy with my GW as they have an incentive to continue developing. If a true CFW with cheats, run originals, be future proof were to appear then hell yes I'll be the first off the train. Until then, GW is doing what I need it to.

Derfderk and lemanuel like this.