hit tracker

Opinion: Banned Xbox 360's means the rise of the PS3?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 16, 2009.

By Zeus on Nov 16, 2009 at 12:26 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    A technology editor at Cnet ponders whether banned Xbox 360's mean the rise of the PS3? And it looks like this is indeed happening. His perspective is coming in from Indonesia but it's arguably even more relevant to this side of the world as well.

<blockquote>The only way to get an official and potentially non-banned console would be to handcarry it from Singapore (which can bring on other issues, especially with customs).

So who might be the winners here? Interestingly enough, it could be the PS3. Despite Indonesia's rampant software piracy, Sony a few months back officially launched the PSP Slim and the PS3 to the Indonesian market. Thus, gamers can officially buy the console and games locally, which is probably helped by the fact that the PS3 is one of the harder consoles to mod (or crack).

Plus, Modern Warfare 2 is also available on the PS3. Price-wise, the console is slightly more expensive and the games must all be "oris" or originals that follow the US pricing (which annoys many gamers who wonder why brands never offer "local" rates in line with the market).

What to do? I am sure many Indonesians would gladly pay original game prices to play online. Besides, we have a pretty large market, too... much larger than Singapore, which amazingly is a pretty Xbox-heavy place. So will Sony win here in Indonesia?

Tell you after I buy one of the two...</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/digerati-indonesia/post.htm?id=63014890&scid=rvhm_ms" target="_blank">CNET</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 16, 2009.

1. 4,772
      whackawookie

whackawookie Loyal Member

well it's a childish world we live in if people are going to switch consoles for something happening that was going to eventually for stealing games. Switch if they ban your console prematurely and won't unban, or simply have both systems. its a gaming world

2. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Not really, if they've been ripping off games and got banned for it i doubt these people are going to make a decision to buy games, I think its all butthurt and bluffs.

3. 2,415
      crypysmoker

crypysmoker Loyal Member

Bothering people
      A hole in a box somewhere over the rainbow
      That has nothing at all to do with it.
      You know why im switching over...
      On top of the 3 banned xboxes for my own stupidity.... thats doesnt count in the countless repairs and replacements those 3 had to go through. Ive gone through 15 Xbox 360 personally since last Xmas. Please dont say I dont know how to take care of them because my Xbox 1 from launch night is still kicking and biting everynight.

Xbox has what exclusives?? halo? Ouuu Oh noes not loose halo.
      If I now have to pay $60-$80 per game, I chose to do it on a console that does a hell of a lot more then the 360, plus Doesnt break as often.

OH no, dont gota pa for online.
      Oh no, the prices in the PSN match ctual currency and not points so MS can secretly charge you an extra $1-$2 for the same content.

I still love my 360's, but If I have to pay to ply then im going for my PS3 and my Blurays, Netflix without live charges etc......

4. 3,748
      MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

Regardless of anything these "just add water" homegrown experts above the poster before me, this most definately IS the rise of the ps3. WHY? Because even though people hack the 360, and they are aware of the reprecussions, the 360 has just had a VERY VERY tarnished image these past few years.

This is the console with the most powerful hardware (arguably), has the best ports, however what is it most in the news for?

RROD, E79, BANNING, PROFILE BANNING, ET AL.

All NOT very nice things to have associate with your console. The ps3 apeals to everyday joe because its hyped blu ray and all its "features" to hell and back. The wii apeals to everyday joe's girlfriend, gay best friend, missus, mom and grandmother. The 360 only had its hardcore following to stand on and unfortunately microsoft has royally shafted those over the past few years.

Just ask yourself, "what have I known the 360 for over the last few years"? not exclusives, not features, not fun gameplay....all the 360 is knwon for is bannings, microsoft and then nothing. Worst of all in the last year or so microsoft had completely shifted their stance from hardcore gamers to a demographic which is already held at ransom by the wii.

The ps3 has exclusives, free online play, blah blah. The wii has mario galaxy, metroid M, and wii fit or whatever. What does the 360 have to offer? fuckking natal.

Yepp, the 360 is headed towards its demise and the ps3 is going to reap the benefits.

5. 5,715
      danight

danight Loyal Member

gotta love the sony sales pitchs over bans still :rolleyes:

if someone is gonna spend 300 on a new console, im sure they got their reasons why... if the reason is they hate microsoft... if sony gets a sale from it.. cool. But if some one being a sheep and thinking they are sticking it to the man...lol yeah sony doesnt give 2 rats crap about you nor does microsoft.
      Dl 1 mp3 off the internet and sony will show what they think of you.

6. 799
      faceless

faceless Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      so, this is the ... 4th banwave?

so this time people will finally buy a PS3?

7. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

What is this obsession with getting PS3s if your banned?

I just bought a second 360 so now I have one for backups and one for XBL, I also own a PS3 already before you ask and I must say that several games I like arent on PS3.

What I do find weird though are those who buy a second console and immediately hack it.

8. 1,132
      crono

crono Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      Perhaps becuase they don't have real games??? I also have a hacked and unhacked xbox360,but i also have over a 100 real games for it

9. 0
      tommasi

tommasi Guest

i own both systems and i got MW2 on my ps3 and already playin it and thats all what i play online so my 360 is setting there just to play backup games

10. 140
      jase1

jase1 Loyal Member

People keep on asking this similar question, but never really understand the answer.

It's like asking...What is this obsession with getting another 360 if your banned?

I got my PS3 a month before being banned, for this simple non-fanboy reason...... at a similar price point the PS3 beats the 360 hands down as a standard piece of kit, it is this simple and it sounds crazy for me to personally buy the same system again just to play online (inc 12mth live sub) especially when I can buy another system and enjoy ALL the games both systems have.

11. 13
      pledo2000

pledo2000 Loyal Member

I think people are more upset about crippling the hdd than the ban.

12. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

13. 447
      DKing

DKing Loyal Member

Does nobody read anything other than the headline?

This does not mean what console will people buy when their 360 gets banned. This is why I think it's a bad idea to ban the console rather than the Live account. But I'm sure Microsoft thinks they can make more if people have to buy a new console.

And also people who swap out a banned console for a new one are thieving retards. You banned it you took the risk. Live with it.

14. 3,798
      iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
      but faceless,, this ones different cuz theres a poll!!!!!

thinking this will help the ps3 is idiotic. not only do people have money invested into their 360 (controllers, games, etc)... but walmart just so happened to have a $200 360 with $100 giftcard. but its an arcade?? well good thing the hdd from the banned 360 will work in it. its also a good thing the controllers will work.

so, dump everything youve invested into a 360 for a $300 ps3? or buy a $200 360 and get $100 back as a giftcard. pretty simple choice.

anyone else notice how many people have bought 360s since they were banned? the only people who buy ps3s because they were banned are idiots. simply put.

etiher way, if they do buy a ps3 because they got banned.. well cool. its good they are getting a ps3. itll keep the hardware to game tie ratio even higher. incase i forgot to mention, the tie ratio is epic right now for 360.

15. 3,798
      iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
      cant agree with ya more. just buy mw2 instead of risking another ban. itll hold you off for a month easy if you got live. by then maybe something will be out.

doesnt really matter though. buy one and get it banned. just adds to the ndp numbers we'll see this month showing the ps3 is **** compared to 360. all it takes is a nice heavy ban hammer

16. 0
      nivalis

nivalis Guest

There is a difference, the other ban waves were not as large scale, were not one month before the christmas period, and were not (all) during the current economical problems.

Now consider this, theres 31 million xbox's sold thus far, let us assume then that the failure rate is 25%, i would call this a fairly fair estimate.
      25% of 31 would be 7.75 million, now lets consider then how many would be beyond repair dates, or unfit for repair due to modifications etc, again lets be overly optimistic and say only 25% of broken xbox 360's remain unrepaired (the truth is this number is probably closer to 50, but for the sake of not angering the diehard fanboys, we'll call it 25%), so lets assume then that of those 31 million units, that gives us 1.93 million units permanently out of comission, dropping the current world figure of working, usable 360's to 29.07 million units..

29.07 million units, for 25% of dead units permanently dead
      27.12 million units, for 50% of dead units permanently dead

A fair estimate would be to assume ban waves 1, 2 and 3 took out 1.5 million units total, add to this the 1 million projected to be banned by years end, giving you 2.5 million

This gives you (rounded off), one in every 11 working xbox users, banned if only 25% of consoles that die, remain dead
      And gives you, (again, rounded off), one in every 10 working xbox users, banned if only 50% of consoles that die, remain dead

Even with the conservative estimate, one in every ten users banned?, what could that mean?, of the working consoles on this entire planet, one in ten users have modified their console to a bannable state?, and how many of those dead consoles, unfit for repair were modified?, how many dead consoles replaced by new were originally modified?.

My point is, you can use failure rates, sales figures, and ban figures to see just how many xbox users pirate their games.
      the 360 is tarnished, this is the 4th wave, and the biggest yet, it comes at a time which is poised tactically by microsoft to encourage those whome have been banned, to go out this christmas, and purchase a replacement, to drive sales, this brings into question the morality behind ban waves, if there is software and checks in place to actively flag users as they connect, why wait to ban these users?, why not automatically ban them based on this detection system?

I'll tell you why, because timing the ban waves to coincide with retail holidays greatly increases the number of customers likely to purchase new hardware.

That is the company you fanboys love, that is the company you defend to the death, merry christmas.

17. 6,064
      saleem

saleem Loyal Member

same here.second ban (my fault) 2 rrod later and this one will probably go,bought mw2 for ps3,with a new dual shock 3.loving it!

i aint buying 360 till the one i got breaks (which it will) i had many 360's,i sold on to get better units and all are failed hardware.2 people i know have both had hardware failures,1 had 2 rrod,the other had 2 E74,bad luck man.

i aint bothered that ms repair them,my ps2 is going strong,my xbox is,hell even my girly wii is,my ps3 60gb is still there also,my 360 will fail eventualy,but,its banned and i aint buying new for originals and live.it makes sense to buy £32 game than £200 elite with hdd.
      :)

18. 673
      put4558350

put4558350 Loyal Member

I think that microsoft make a not-so-bad choose.

1. If you invested into xbox360. (eg. most of your game is non-pirate / you have many peripheral) You will end it by buy new xbox360.

2. And Microsoft will sale more legal game/console.

3. If you don't / low invested into xbox360. (eg. most of your game is rent/pirate) you might buy ps3. but you will likely don't / low invested into ps3 too. ps3's tie ratio will also reduce. and you will not make huge indirect profit to sony.

4. plus sony just reduce ps3's price. so it will not make huge direct profit to sony too.

19. 5,715
      danight

danight Loyal Member

basically buy all your numbers you are saying ps3 should be in first place then.... oddly there is way more ps3 fanboys then xbox. By far!!!

Heres some simple math for you..
      1 xbox cost 200 dollars... 2 games cost 120 dollars... a 20 pack of dvd dl cost roughly 30 dollars.
      you could have either 1 xbox 360 with 3packs of 20 dvd dl`s so roughly 90 games or a ps3 and 1 game w/ tax.

1 xbox 360 90 games vs a ps3 and 1 game.... hummm tough choice....

there`s math for you..... while you might get banned from live
      let sony catch you dl`ing 1 illegal mp3 and you can have all the above for the price sony will take you to court and sue you for. Thats just 1 mp3.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009