hit tracker

Opinion: Microsoft should never have built the Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 25, 2010.

By Zeus on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:05 AM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    The guys at Digital Trends are arguing that MS should never have built the Xbox. And it all comes down to opportunity cost. Essentially, they feel that MS has sacraficed the billion dollar PC market to try and 'assure' success of a product that makes millions in the Xbox.

<blockquote>There is no argument that the Xbox 360 is a sound game system, and it isn’t uncommon for a company struggling with its primary product to broaden their product portfolio and look to other areas for growth. The problem is that the opportunity cost is generally greater than the benefit, and that is the case here. As PRJ points out, PC gaming isn’t what it should be, but that was a cost of doing the Xbox 360, so Microsoft effectively sacrificed a product that generates billions to assure the success of a product that makes millions.

The ultimate cost to Microsoft to produce the Xbox platform was a weakened PC ecosystem, a stronger and more profitable rival in Apple, and an overall poor computer gaming experience. Bottom line: The cost of the Xbox significantly exceeded its benefit.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/microsoft-should-never-have-built-the-xbox/2/" target="_Blank">DigitalTrends</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 776
      poisonousjuice

poisonousjuice Loyal Member

Microsoft is trying to expand it's reach from just the computer to in people's living rooms, to their cell phones, to their entertainment. Somehow I doubt the xbox has anything to do with Apple's success. They've been an inventive source for a very long time. Stupid article.

2. 1,113
      beterweter

beterweter Loyal Member

if the xbox wasnt here we would still be playing with thise little brick systems.
      no custom soundtracks
      boring daschboards with only the "play disc" and "options" menu.
      they started of well and all had to follow,the downside however now is they are getting cocky and charge for every little piece of software.
      they put on a great example for in game menu's in the 360,and easy to work with options.
      they did good in carefully watching the scene with the 1st gen xbox ,watching what hackers could come up with and implementing them in their new system.

they should be aware for tgheir next gen,and make shure they have a damn fine cooling system and everlasting hardware,as people need to be reassured that its going to be alright or they won't be selling that much anymore upon release.

3. 613
      CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

If that is your opinion then you do not know the reason MS got into the gaming business to begin with. MS joined the gaming foray as a preemptive strike towards Sony expanding into the OS market. From what I see, it worked!

4. 447
      DKing

DKing Loyal Member

I agree. Their logic doesn't make sense to me. If Xbox was the only console on the market then maybe I could see that. But Playstation was already there. Besides Microsoft doesn't really make money on 'PC Gaming' other than the operating systems used to run them which people would have anyway. I seriously doubt the 'ecosystem' is being that damaged by consoles. PCs have a lot more use than simply gaming on.

5. 272
      bubbleboy

bubbleboy Loyal Member

more like they hired the original xbox hackers! bunny anyone?

6. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:

oh joy of joys, a GAMES console, you know, something that plays complete, working games that have had proper testing and have 1 player and multiplayer split screen gaming with a few of them having online multiplayer options, the ability to buy, sell, lend or borrow COMPLETE games at will, the ability to play games whenever you want and know that you'll be able to play them in the future too and not only be able to play if the servers are running and the company allows you to play, the ability to cheat if you want (local cheats affect all players in offline gaming) without fear of having your console gimped because it messes with someone elses e-penis.

the original opinion was absolutely right microsoft should have kept out of games consoles because they have ruined them by turning them into marketplaces instead of games consoles.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
    7. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Microsoft was in gaming way before the inception of the Xbox.

8. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

What has Sony contributed to gaming? They've tried turning them into media centers instead of games consoles. When wasn't a games console used for marketing? If anything, it can be argued that Sony is the odd man out that should never have built the Playstation.

9. 1,113
      beterweter

beterweter Loyal Member

hahahahahaha,

so you liked,

-short cables
      -having to get from you fat ass to turn your system on or off
      -pulling xtra cables trough your living room to watch your pc movies or .adding other extenders.
      -listening to crap in-game music because you have to.
      -having to get of you fat ass to reset your game instead of an easy in game menu to leave

guys like you make me laugh,you just don't know how easy they made it all for you.

10. 474
      IBNobody

IBNobody Loyal Member

It is debatable whether or not the 360-PC ports that Microsoft enabled as a benefit to their SDK weakened the PC market. What Microsoft really did was weaken itself by having a bloated development team working on Vista.

11. 949
      Signa

Signa Loyal Member

I fully agree with this guy that MS sacrificed the PC market for its own good. There was a list of games that some one put together once showing the decline of awesome PC games right around the time that the first Xbox was announced. It started with titles from '97 to I think '04. Games like Starcraft, Thief, No One Lives forever, and Morrowind were all in production before the Xbox was announced. After the Xbox came out, the number of epic PC titles started dwindling each year until you were pretty much just left with console ports.

If you need more evidence, just look at the PC game controller market. When the Xbox launched, MS, who was arguably the best gaming hardware manufacturer stopped making their gamepads and joysticks. I remember buying one of those force feedback joysticks, and the damn thing doesn't even work anymore because MS stopped making drivers for it on XP. It was the gameport version and now my gameport doesn't even work on Win7.

12. 848
      SLAYERPSP

SLAYERPSP Loyal Member

Thank god they made the xbox in my mind ms just took over were Sega left off. just Sony and Nintendo would have sucked big time. the wii is old hardware like everything Nintendo does rehash crap no new ideas at all. Sony the kings of lying about everything were so cool we know best attitude. online gaming wouldn't even really be around without ms.

13. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Was the Xbox directly responsible for that? Or was it console gaming in general? Xbox just brought DirectX to consoles. You could say that made it easier for PC developers to make the transition into consoles. This article makes it sound like Microsoft took it's Windows development team and made them all work on the Xbox. Microsoft is a massive company with multiple divisions each working on their respective tasks. Not to mention that Microsoft doesn't make money on Windows gaming (generally) unless they're the ones making that game. There's no licensing and such with Windows. Are you really upset that your 10 year old, force feedback stick doesn't work? That's like getting upset that your SNES controller doesn't work on your Wii. You can always buy a new one from someone like Logitech or use the 360 pad on your PC.

14. 13,435
      billysastard

Home Page:

this opinion wasnt about sony so no need to mention them, you do know the playstation was snes cd drive add on that they cancelled?

oh and i said marketplaces (ie they are now using them to sell you stuff you never own and in many cases should have been in the games to begin with) not marketing.

15. 13,435
      billysastard

Home Page:
      -the cables were always long enough and wireless controllers were available for everything from the atari 2600 forward
      -i had to get up to take the game out and put it away anyway so no issues turning it off before i did, at least it came straight on
      -i had tv out and a wireless video sender
      - i had a stereo i could listen to music on or i could listen to the soundtrack designed for the game
      -my ass musnt have been as fat as yours because i never minded getting up to press reset.

what makes me laugh is how some people think they made all the changes they did to benifit us, they didnt all the additions are to make them more money and to deplete the value of what we buy.

16. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

The PS1 was originally meant to be an SNES add-on and mainly designed by Nintendo, which is why it's still Sony's best console. Every console after that has been Sony's attempt to take over the market and people's living rooms. The article is about consoles and gaming. Sony and Nintendo are both involved. Your comment suggests that Microsoft ruined console gaming. I'm making the claim that Sony was almost responsible for that. Sony managed to wipe out Sega, and was on the verge of wiping Nintendo out of the home console game.

Are you talking about things like microtransactions (avatar clothing) or the Live Arcade? When you buy software, you buy a license, not the software. Microtransations are also nothing new and weren't invented by Microsoft. They were simply the first to put together an online console community. Judging by it's popularity, and how every other console has followed suit, I'd say it was a good idea.

17. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

What makes me laugh is how some people think that benefiting us isn't what makes them more money.

18. 1,113
      beterweter

beterweter Loyal Member

hahahahahahahahaha,

you must have had a big wallet then in those days for that kind of "tech"

its very nice you bought all those things but now you don't have to anymore ---> my point:rolleyes:

of course these changes are made to sell their product einstein,we are well aware of that and its a good thing that it "depletes" the valeu of other product.
      thats good for us ,the consumers,why should i care that some multi-billion dollar company can't sell their overpriced products anymore?:p

cheap or expensive,it all breaks.
      they just don't make the things like they used to.

should i be offended?please be more clear...:D

19. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Personally, i'd say unless ms are the only PC game makers, then them branching out into other other markets like making games consoles has no baring ont he PC game market. they still make PC games, they still support PC gaming in the form of directX so I don't see what else would have been diferent. however as has been mentioned, they have had an affect ont he console market, in that they managed to make online a standard, they weren't the first, but they were the ones to make it work, and for better or worse, they introduced DLC, both patches and adding game content.

This gen they have done somthing for the better of us all as well (ok maybe not fanboys but hey will buy into any old nonsense), they have introduced Sony to reality, imagine what we would have had we no xbox, we would have a Wii and a PS3 that had slightly better than Wii GFX in 1080p with no rumble that instead of one that offers near PC quality GFX, simply due to the fact there would be no competition ont he GFX front. That said I supect that would have benefited the Wii as it would get pushed instead of underused.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010